It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

furryangel is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Unanswered: Urgent Help With Traumatized Rescue Cat

Hello,

I am in need of some knowledgeable advice. Nearly 5 years ago we adopted a rescue maine coon. The people we got her from were not honest with us when we took her. They told us she had been rehomed many, many times and but did not mention her behavior problems. We later found out she had been a victim of past abuse and displays signs of trauma. It has been a real challenge caring for her these past 5 years. Every few months we have to take her in to the vet to be groomed, and the vet has to sedate her just to groom her. This costs us $400+ every few months. We have been diligently caring for her for years but have reached a financial point where we absolutely cannot afford it anymore. It has been a very difficult decision but we are forced to think about giving her away to a new home.

We have decided not to take her to a shelter for fear that she will be euthanized, or adopted by people who do not know what they are getting into. We do not want her to be rehomed many more times or mistreated ever again, but we also don't know what else to do with her.
Is there some resource or trustworthy society we could take her case to? Our cat needs to be adopted by someone with experience caring for traumatized animals. Her condition has greatly improved since the time we originally got her, but we fear she may have serious problems for the rest of her life. She can sometimes be a very sweet cat who deserves every minute of a happy life and that is what we want for her.

Please help us, we want the best for her and we don't want her to go through any more unnecessary stress, but we absolutely cannot keep her anymore. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

Thank you so much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-13-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I don't understand why your cat has to have a $400 general anesthesia grooming session every few months. That is putting enormous stress on her kidneys. Whose idea is that? The vet?

Please do not do this to her. If she's really that bad, she would be better off being euthanized than being dumped again.

There are worse things than death. Losing the only home where she's ever been able to feel even a little safe is one of them.

But maybe you just need some better support.

Find another groomer/vet to start. That vet is making a fortune off of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-13-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-13-2015   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Still thinking about this:

If she lives her life in fear perhaps she already has no quality of life. Certainly losing her home of five years is not going to be any improvement for her.

What have you done to help her in these years?

What is she like at home, most of the time?

Is she declawed?

Has she been evaluated for pain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-13-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 01-29-2016   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Try to comb her go to her not running but slowly let her smell the comb then pet her give her a treat. Sit down next to her and pet her slowly raise the comb and start. Whatever you do try to keep calm in the house don't excite her. Let me know. I would really like to help!
Wow, you really have gone through a lot in the last 5 years. Hazel is a pretty kitty... Some of kitten behavior reminds me of Snowy, but much, more intense. If you want to start sorting through behaviours while you are trying to find a rehoming option, then I would suggest you approach each issue individually, and then refer people back here to read this for a more indepth look at your cat. And I would start with a question about grooming or sedation for vet visits. In regards to Hazel's stress level, First question is if you have every used Feliway? I have only tried the collar once during new cat introductions, but they have fragrance dispensers, and there are a few members here who swear by them as a calming aid for cats. Perhaps someone will give you more input on that in this thread.

Tags
adopted , adoption , advice , art , behavior , cat , cat answers , cat needs , cat questions , cats , collar , found , grooming , happy , hey , home , kitten , kitty , maine coon , new home , problems , rescue , shelter , stress , urgent , vet

Sponsored Cat Links