It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ncarratt is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: litter box training

Hi I have a 14 week kitten and haven't had a cat since I was a kid! I keep my kitten in are big bathroom when we are asleep or not home he uses his box then!! But when I'm home I let him run around but I'm always worried he will have an accident I treat him like a puppy following him everywhere and constantly taking him back to his box!! When will I know that he can find it!!! Help I thought cats were easier than puppies lol it's probably me making it harder than it needs to be!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-04-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Kittens don't need much training in that area but they do need quick access until they get a little older.

Is the room where his box is near-by to where he spends most of his time when he is out and about?

What does he do when you bring him to the box?

How long has he been with you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-04-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

We have had him almost a week the box is down stairs in a big bathroom. I have no were to put box upstairs we have a small house. He just climbs out when we put him in it but when we are not home he goes in it never had accident!! Do you know about how often kittens go potty? Thanks for your reply!!
Unread 12-04-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

But when you are not home he is still being kept in the bathroom? So he still has the litter box near by.

My advice would be to give him free run while you are home, stop bringing him to the box, and see how he does. If he has an accident upstairs, sprinkle litter over it, sweep it up and bring it to the box. Let him see you doing all that, and encourage him to follow you as you bring his little mess to the litter box.

Don't react in any way to the accident. Don't shout NO! or run toward him. That will be your first reaction of course it's natural but try to control it and not react. The reason I say this is because shouting or trying to stop him may create a fear to toileting and he might start going in out of the way places to hide his actions.

Just calmly sweep it up. If it happens more than a couple of times you really need to keep a litter box upstairs, just temporarily, until he gets a bit bigger. But he probably won't have any problems, he is 3 1/2 months old which is a good age to start out in a new home.

Kittens may pee four or five times a day, and poop maybe twice or even three times, depending on their diet. I recommend you feed him a canned diet, all canned food, get him started on that right away, so there is no issues with him being a kibble addict later on.

If he is eating kibble right now, do the change over slowly, to avoid any tummy upset.

Was he well socialized with his mum and litter mates before coming to you? How long is he left alone in the bathroom each day?

Does he cry at night when shut in for the night or does he know that's his night time spot? Do you intend to let him sleep with you once you are sure he can be let to safely roam?

You have kitten proofed your house right?

It's exciting having a new kitten in the house isn't it? They are perpetual motion machines for quite a few months, what kind of furniture and scratchers and toys do you have for him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-04-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Yes he is close to box when locked in. He is locked in about 8 hrs why I'm at work. He does cry for a little bit at night but he stops!! He cries all time when out unless you are holding him he follows me and cries! I don't know if he was well socialized with his mother I got him from pet store ( I know not best but felt bad for him) he probably will sleep with my girls that's what they want anyway lol
Unread 12-04-2015   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Okay. Pet store kitten are often not very healthy. Have you had him to the vet yet? That's something that should be done very soon.

16 hours total a day in one small room is an awful lot of alone time for a kitten. Kittens need socialization and a lot of running and playing. Please understand I am not judging. But I do think it's time to make sure your house is kitten proofed and let him have more access to the house at least at night when you are home.

And soon after that he should be ready to have the whole house, providing all dangers have been put away.

Can you have someone come in and check on him and feed him half way through the day?

Kittens also need a lot of food. He should be eating about 10 ounces or even 12 ounces of canned food a day.

Plan on having him neutered at around 6 months, unless his pee starts to smell like tom cat pee sooner than that.

Ensure he has adequate scratchers to avoid any trouble with your furniture. Provide a number of different types, flat, curved, slanted, at least one tall sturdy sisal post (most cats love these). None of those short little things that stores love to sell, they aren't big enough or sturdy enough for a cat to do any decent scratching on.

A cat tree or kitty condo will be good too, but cut off any dangly toys, those are very dangerous to kittens and cats.

Get him used to having his paws handled right away, so trimming his nails will be easy to do. Until you develop some skill at it, just snip the sharp little tips off once a week. As he gets older and develops his adult nails, by then he will be used to it and you will be able to snip a bit more off. Avoid the pink part, the quick, of course, because that will cause pain and bleeding.

How old are your children? I was 9 when I got my first cat.

please read this first
Unread 12-04-2015   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Yes he has been to vet he is healthy yay!! He has a scratch post he uses and several balls!! I keep food down in his room when I'm gone going to switch to canned food like you said and slowly mix with old food! I think in a few days when I trust him more will leave him out at night ��he is very sweet let's you do anything to him we touch him every where! Thanks for all your great advice!! Oh and definitely will get him fixed!!��
Unread 12-05-2015   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

He sounds lovely. It will be interesting to see who he decides to sleep with at night, you or the kids.

Fed a good wet diet, and given lots of play time, it won't take him long to settle into the bedtime routine.

But I agree with you to keeping him safe in his bathroom when he is alone during the day for a bit longer. Is there a window?

please read this first
Unread 12-07-2015   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

pfreeman is on a distinguished road

I have had a lot of kittens and they went right to it. It did not take anytime at all to train them. I think most cats know what to do by instinct. Don't worry he should get the hang of it real soon.
Unread 12-09-2015   #10 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

There's a lot to consider when choosing the best cat litter box for your feline friend. And there are many types, each with their own strengths and shortcomings. Find the best cat litters, naming top choices in several categories.

Tags
advice , art , box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , diet , eating , food , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , mess , night , pet , puppy , scratch , sleep , small , toys , training

Sponsored Cat Links