It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Angelic
Yehyeh22 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Answered: Cat Food

What dry and Wet canned food is the best? I have been trying to up my research on Cat and Kitten good and now feeling I'm not feeding my fur babies the best. Both my cat and kitten are on dry Blue Buffalo wilderness. I know they should eat Wet food, which has been a hard transition for some reason they go to the dry food most.

The more I research, the more I get confused on what I should feed them. Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by acerlt
It's wonderful that you are questioning and want to learn, lucky kitties! (and your vet bills will be lower in the years to come, too)

Rule number 1 Feed all wet (or balanced raw) no dry.

Cats are strict obligate carnivores and a dry diet is the worst thing for them. They need a diet high in meat and moisture to thrive. Moistrue from their food. Nutrients from meat products.

Blue Buffalo isn't a very good brand but feed the wet at least, not the dry. I don't recommend specific brands any more because the companies change up so often.

Dry is bad for a number of reasons. Dry foods are very high in carbohydrates even the kind called "grain free". They HAVE to have starches to hold the kibble together.

Cats do not have a high thirst drive and can not drink enough water to make up for the deficit in a dry diet. No matter how much you think they may be drinking, it is not enough. Canned foods are, on average 78% moisture. Dry foods are only 10% (or less) A cat cannot drink enough water to make up that deficit, which means a dry fed cat is always dehydrated.

A dehydrated cat does not feel his best, nor act it. I'm sure your cats seem "fine" but change them to an all wet diet and you will be amazed at the difference after a few months.

Chronic dehydration leads to many diseases, especially urinary tract disorders and kidney problems. A dry high carb diet is also the cause of obesity in cats and diabetes. Diabetes is a man made illness in cats. It is caused by a dry diet.

Some guidelines on how to choose canned foods:

Learn about ingredients and how to read labels

Look for canned foods with identified meats listed in the ingredients. Avoid grains, corn, maize (same as corn) wheat, rice and so on. Avoid foods that contain soy. Try to avoid foods that contain carrageenan.

Pate (sometimes called loaf) styles are better than chunks in gravy styles, usually, because the gravy types need starches for thickeners. This means, even if they are "grain free" they have to contain something like potatoes or tapioca, which means they will be high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not something cats need.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find foods without grains that don't contain other unnecessary things like fruits and vegetables. Cats don't need or digest these either, they just poop them back out.

Avoid the ingredient "cellulose" (it is sawdust, cheap filler).

There really is no "perfect" commercial canned food. Your best bet is to feed a variety of brands and proteins to try to keep your cats eating as few of the bad things as possible, and as much of the good stuff as possible.

The absolute best you can feed your cats is a raw diet.

Here are some links on feline nutrition you may find helpful. Take your time reading and learning but in the mean time I would get rid of the dry and get them on a wet diet, ANY wet food, as you begin learning.

This site is written by a vet and can help you with the basics of wet feeding your cat:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

These sites are more focused on raw diets:

CatCentric | Feline nutrition, general health and behavior. Better lives through better care!

felinenutrition.org

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-20-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

It's wonderful that you are questioning and want to learn, lucky kitties! (and your vet bills will be lower in the years to come, too)

Rule number 1 Feed all wet (or balanced raw) no dry.

Cats are strict obligate carnivores and a dry diet is the worst thing for them. They need a diet high in meat and moisture to thrive. Moistrue from their food. Nutrients from meat products.

Blue Buffalo isn't a very good brand but feed the wet at least, not the dry. I don't recommend specific brands any more because the companies change up so often.

Dry is bad for a number of reasons. Dry foods are very high in carbohydrates even the kind called "grain free". They HAVE to have starches to hold the kibble together.

Cats do not have a high thirst drive and can not drink enough water to make up for the deficit in a dry diet. No matter how much you think they may be drinking, it is not enough. Canned foods are, on average 78% moisture. Dry foods are only 10% (or less) A cat cannot drink enough water to make up that deficit, which means a dry fed cat is always dehydrated.

A dehydrated cat does not feel his best, nor act it. I'm sure your cats seem "fine" but change them to an all wet diet and you will be amazed at the difference after a few months.

Chronic dehydration leads to many diseases, especially urinary tract disorders and kidney problems. A dry high carb diet is also the cause of obesity in cats and diabetes. Diabetes is a man made illness in cats. It is caused by a dry diet.

Some guidelines on how to choose canned foods:

Learn about ingredients and how to read labels

Look for canned foods with identified meats listed in the ingredients. Avoid grains, corn, maize (same as corn) wheat, rice and so on. Avoid foods that contain soy. Try to avoid foods that contain carrageenan.

Pate (sometimes called loaf) styles are better than chunks in gravy styles, usually, because the gravy types need starches for thickeners. This means, even if they are "grain free" they have to contain something like potatoes or tapioca, which means they will be high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not something cats need.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find foods without grains that don't contain other unnecessary things like fruits and vegetables. Cats don't need or digest these either, they just poop them back out.

Avoid the ingredient "cellulose" (it is sawdust, cheap filler).

There really is no "perfect" commercial canned food. Your best bet is to feed a variety of brands and proteins to try to keep your cats eating as few of the bad things as possible, and as much of the good stuff as possible.

The absolute best you can feed your cats is a raw diet.

Here are some links on feline nutrition you may find helpful. Take your time reading and learning but in the mean time I would get rid of the dry and get them on a wet diet, ANY wet food, as you begin learning.

This site is written by a vet and can help you with the basics of wet feeding your cat:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

These sites are more focused on raw diets:

CatCentric | Feline nutrition, general health and behavior. Better lives through better care!

felinenutrition.org

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-20-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-20-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Angelic
Yehyeh22 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the quick response, I'm deffiantly going to i,corporate the change to wet. Thanks for the link, will check that out now.
Unread 12-21-2015   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Cat food is a food for consumption by cats. Cats have requirements for their specific catary nutrients.Certain nutrients, including many vitamins and Amino acids are degraded by the temperatures, pressures and chemical treatments used during manufacture, and hence must be added after manufacture to avoid nutritional deficiency.

Tags
babies , behavior , bills , canned food , cat , cat answers , cat food , cat questions , cats , commercial , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , free , fur , hey , kitten , litter , litter box , nutrition , obesity , raw , thoughts , transition , vet bills , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links