It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

my_psychosis is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Shy cat?

We have had our female kitty (Riku) since birth. She was shy from the beginning, but she got worse. She would come out and let us touch her for about 30 seconds, but then hide.

She would lick my big toe whenever she went by though, so I figured this was a good sign. We tried treats and toys but nothing worked. Finally about 4 months ago she started sneaking into my lap. I can pet her and scratch behind her ears but if I even attempt to move my body in any other way she bolts. Also I will hold still and just pet her, I'm happy that she lets me, but any loud noise, (the TV, a car going by, a nock on the door, I even sniff) she bolts so fast. I cant believe how fast she can move.

Is there anyway I can calm her down?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-30-2015   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Gidagirl is on a distinguished road

Hey I don't know if I will help much. To ease her bad case of the "scaredy cat", you can try hand feeding her treats when she hides and wait until she comes out and eats it. Make sure their scent is on something and you can use it to calm the cat because it knows what it is. (Ex. blanket, pillow, sock). Also another thing is to not always go up to her in an area she isn't comfortable in (such as the middle of a room), but instead a place where they feel safe (favourite spot). These are my own ideas because I used to have a scaredy cat, but she is now a purring machine and loves my other cats. Now, with noise, such as cars and that, I am not sure of how to help you. If she jumps at the slightest noise, that probably means she doesn't trust you. I don't know why, but of course, you could always look it up to get a more fact-based answer . My scaredy cat was afraid of noise a lot, and my solution wasn't the best but here it is: I would let my cat come close to me and then offer my hand. Once she finished sniffing, I gently picked her up. [NOTE: Make sure to wear long sleeves and perhaps gloves. The cat could claw you!] Once she was on my lap and in a relaxed position, which may take a while to accomplish, I would pet her as I turned the TV on. She would jump a bit, but when she felt me petting her, she calmed down. If you do this enough times, you may get a friendlier cat. BUT BEWARE! THESE TIPS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE AND MAY NOT HELP AT ALL! THEY ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS!

Anyway, make sure to love and appreciate her, and you are already on your way to gain her trust! Best wishes!

Hey I don't know if I will help much. To ease her bad case of the "scaredy cat", you can try hand feeding her treats when she hides and wait until she comes out and eats it. Make sure their scent is on something and you can use it to calm the cat because it knows what it is. (Ex. blanket, pillow, sock). Also another thing is to not always go up to her in an area she isn't comfortable in (such as the middle of a room), but instead a place where they feel safe (favourite spot). These are my own ideas because I used to have a scaredy cat, but she is now a purring machine and loves my other cats. Now, with noise, such as cars and that, I am not sure of how to help you. If she jumps at the slightest noise, that probably means she doesn't trust you. I don't know why, but of course, you could always look it up to get a more fact-based answer . My scaredy cat was afraid of noise a lot, and my solution wasn't the best but here it is: I would let my cat come close to me and then offer my hand. Once she finished sniffing, I gently picked her up. [NOTE: Make sure to wear long sleeves and perhaps gloves. The cat could claw you!] Once she was on my lap and in a relaxed position, which may take a while to accomplish, I would pet her as I turned the TV on. She would jump a bit, but when she felt me petting her, she calmed down. If you do this enough times, you may get a friendlier cat. BUT BEWARE! THESE TIPS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE AND MAY NOT HELP AT ALL! THEY ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS!

Anyway, make sure to love and appreciate her, and you are already on your way to gain her trust! Best wishes!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gidagirl For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-30-2015   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

What are you feeding her? Diet plays a very large role in behavior.

What's her history? You say she's been with you since birth, but that doesn't really tell us much. Are you saying she was an orphan, hand raised?

How old is she?

Is she spayed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-31-2015   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

my_psychosis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
What are you feeding her? Diet plays a very large role in behavior.

What's her history? You say she's been with you since birth, but that doesn't really tell us much. Are you saying she was an orphan, hand raised?

How old is she?

Is she spayed?
She was born in our house. (We owned her mother who was also a scardy but she got mean) not hand raised, Yes she is spayed, we feed her 9 lives plus care. She is the only cat we have now. No dogs.
I've had cats all my life but I'd never had one that acted this way.

Last edited by my_psychosis; 12-31-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Unread 01-13-2016   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

I think,it will help much. To ease her bad case of the scaredy cat, you can try hand feeding her treats when she hides and wait until she comes out and eats it. Make sure their scent is on something and you can use it to calm the cat because it knows what it is. Also another thing is to not always go up to her in an area, she isn't comfortable in such as the middle of the room, but instead a place where they feel safe. These are my own ideas because I used to have a scaredy cat, but she is now a purring machine and loves my other cats. Now, with noise, such as cars and that, I am not sure of how to help you. If she jumps at the slightest noise, that probably means she doesn't trust you. I don't know why, but of course, you could always look it up to get a more fact-based answer . My scaredy cat was afraid of noise a lot, and my solution wasn't the best but here it is: I would let my cat come close to me and then offer my hand. Once she finished sniffing, I gently picked her up. But Beware!These tips aren't for everyone and may not help at all! They are just give suggestions! I think you are already on your way to gain her trust. Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Angelic
CroCat is on a distinguished road

How old is your cat now?

Did (s)he have any stress after is born?

I think that your cat is little bit scared because something happen.

It take some time to get relaxed.
Unread 02-24-2016   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Zoe Carballo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This advise should be taken with caution!

My boyfriends cat Holly (aka Princess Kitty McFluff) was scared of hair dryers and aerosol cans when we first moved in together. She would bolt if she was anywhere in the near vicinity when one was used. However, because I was using the hair dryer etc. much more than she previously was exposed to, she eventually got used to it and now, after a little over 6 months, she does not even lift her head if i am sat right next to her with the hair dryer on.

So..in theory, if you introduce these sounds very slowly and quietly more regularly into the house, the cat may not care about it any more. Desensitising the cat to the noise. Maybe put a car program on low volume in the background. after a week, turn it up a bit. Until eventually your cat can be around the noise with no issues.

It might just work Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
behavior , birth , calm , car , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , diet , dogs , fast , female , happy , hey , house , kitty , pet , scared , scratch , spayed , stress , suggestions , tips , toys

Sponsored Cat Links