It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-16-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

glitterkitti is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Cat peeing outside of box

Hello all! I'm at my wits end. I have 2 cats and one cat really dislikes the other. It recently decided it won't pee in any box that the other has gone in. I've tried adding another litter box (3 total in house) and it kind of resolved the problem but now the other cat (the one without the problem)has found them all and pees in them sometimes. When the cat with the problem smells this, she just decides to go on our floor or rug. Short of checking all the litter boxes all the time all day long it's just not possible to keep them all clean all the time. Any advice???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-16-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I'd like more information about the dynamic between the two. You say they don't get along, but in what way?

How long has each cat been with you? Are they both spayed females? Do you know their histories?

How old are they?

What is their diet?

How many cat trees and other scratchers do they have?

How often do you play with them?

Having asked all that the first thing to do is to take the female peeing outside the box to the vet. Illness is the most common reason for litter box avoidance.

She isn't "deciding" to pee elsewhere she is doing it for a reason, most likely health related. It sounds like she is under some stress, and stress makes cats sick, including, and especially, urinary tract illnesses..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-17-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

glitterkitti is on a distinguished road

They are actually mother and daughter. The mother (bu the one peeing outside the box) is 15 and spayed. The daughter (saddie) is 13 and spayed as well. Bu seems to not be able to stand Saddie. She always leaves when she comes around and hisses at her if she crosses her path. They eat a diet that is mixed of Hills d/d venison and green pea and raw food (venison, turkey and beef). They have 2 cat scratchers which are also houses. One is downstairs which is Saddie's and one is upstairs which is Bu's. I've had Bu since 6 weeks and Saddie since she was born. Bu goes for regular vet visits and they said she has really early kidney failure through this new test they do but she isn't really displaying any symptoms of it yet.
Unread 07-17-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Thanks for answering my questions! Peeing outside the box is a symptom.

I would guess a urinary tract infection, also common with CKD cats. Bring her to the vet to get a urinalysis done. Ask the vet to take enough urine to send a specimen out to the lab for a culture also.

Are you feeding Rad Cat raw?

Why are you feeding the Hills?

I'd get rid of the Hills (especially if it is dry) and go full raw. I know Rad Cat is costly to feed full time, but (well actually probably not much more than that awful Hills stuff which is extremely poor quality) but you can feed home made raw with a superior pre-mix called EZcomplete for cats made by Food Fur Life.

It is not at all unusual for a cat to dislike her offspring. Have you ever tried using Feliway plug-in diffusers? Rescue Remedy for both of them might also be of some help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , art , box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clean , food , found , health , hey , house , litter , litter box , litter boxes , pee , peeing , problem , sick , spayed , test , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links