It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Granthems is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Help! How do i stop my Cat from meowing for food ALL THE TIME?!!?

Hi!

My name is Grant. About 9 years ago, I adopted two male kittens, brothers, named Mack and Declan. They are my children and the loves of my life. Declan is totally the alpha and he basically runs my house hold. We do what Declan wants and he gets away with murder because he is just so damn smart and so damn cute.

In July, Mack was diagnosed with Cancer and i was devestated. He finally passed away about a month ago. He was sick and Declan got a chance to say goodbye and he knows that Mack is gone. I've been spending a lot of time with him, but i know he is lonely and bored.

My big problem is that Declan has developed a nasty and annoying habit. I've always feed him dry food and wet food...trust me he's never gone hungry. But he's gotten to the point where he will meow incessantly for food, even when he has a full bowl of both...and not just in the morning but whenever i wake up or come back from being out. Like even if i'm gone for five minutes, when i come back i have to go over and put a bit of food in his dish or he will not stop meowing. He will mostly be okay as i long as i go over and do it, but sometimes he will make me open up a fresh can of wet food even though he hasn't touched the wet food i put out just that morning or an hour or so ago...it kills me because it's so wasteful. I've tried ignoring him, but he just will not quite until i give in.

The big issue is that i've decided to add to our little family so he has some company and because well...it's just time. I am planning on adopting two brother kittens because of how amazing Declan and Macks relationship was. Declan loves to play and has no problem with other animals, so i'm not concerned about him being an excellent "Big Brother" but i do NOT want them picking up his bad habits...and this one is the worst..

What should i do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-16-2016   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Happy
Clare Cole is on a distinguished road

I hate when this happens, my last cat was like this. But I just ensured I was regular with food and ignored demands for food.
Unread 11-16-2016   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I'm sorry for your loss of Mack.

This is not about food. Declan is grieving the loss of his brother, and may possibly be sick besides.

The first thing you need to do is take him to the vet to rule out illness. He should have blood work done, including thyroid testing. A urinalysis should be done, too.

Next, improve his diet. Get rid of the dry food and feed him a good species appropriate diet. Feed on a scehdule, three or four meals a day. Meal times should become attention/bonding times.

Feed good quality high meat content wet foods or balanced raw or both.

And finally, when he cries, give him attention. Play with him, comb him cuddle him, talk to him. Stop giving him more food he doesn't want. He is asking for your attention not food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , amazing , cat , cat answers , cat questions , children , cute , dry , dry food , family , food , hey , house , kittens , male , meow , meowing , morning , play , problem , sick , smart , stop , wake , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links