It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

gossamer is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Problem with constant carpet peeing

Hi,
We have four adult cats, all of which have been spayed/neutered.

Somehow at least one of them has become more comfortable with peeing on the deep-pile carpet upstairs than using the litter boxes.

We've used at least four different sprays, including "Resolve", but the smell remains. This of course leads to the cats peeing repeatedly in the same spots.

We have a Bissell upright rug shampooer with a hand nozzle, and I've even used that. I've just spent at least two hours cleaning the affected areas (basically against one full wall), and it still smells.

I even had a commercial company come and professionally clean the carpet some time ago. It was better for a while afterwards, but they've peed again.

We have one litter box for each cat, but there appears to be one point where the carpet upstairs is cleaner/better option than the litter boxes. I'm extremely diligent with the litter boxes, but it's possible sometimes they're more messy than they should be for a small period of time.

I'm really inclined to give up the cats now. We just can't afford to have the carpet professionally cleaned again, and I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

Is there a method for identifying where specifically the smell is coming from? Perhaps ultraviolet? Perhaps there's a foolproof spray available that's better than Resolve and the "Top Seller" on Amazon?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-28-2016   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Happy
Clare Cole is on a distinguished road

I had this problem, any suggestions?
Unread 11-28-2016   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Sounds like one or more of your cats has a health problem, in the urinary tract.

Urinary tract infections hurt. The cat blames the box so pees somewhere else to try to get away from the pain.

Figure out who it is and take kitty to the vet.

Feed a wet only diet, NO DRY EVER.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-28-2016   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Happy
Clare Cole is on a distinguished road

Thank you
Unread 11-28-2016   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Sounds like one or more of your cats has a health problem, in the urinary tract.

Urinary tract infections hurt. The cat blames the box so pees somewhere else to try to get away from the pain.

Figure out who it is and take kitty to the vet.

Thanks for the info. While I think that's one possible source of the problem, I think the more simple answer is probably the correct one. We'll continue to investigate, however.

Does anyone have any ideas how to now get rid of the smell that permeates the carpet?
Unread 11-28-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
I'm also curious about this statement. Can you explain?

Is this your own personal experience, or do you have evidence or statements that show it causes urinary or other problems?
Unread 11-28-2016   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
I'm also curious about this statement. Can you explain?

Is this your own personal experience, or do you have evidence or statements that show it causes urinary or other problems?
Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They cannot drink enough water to make up for the moisture deficit in a dry diet. Dry feed is high carb, poor quality, species inappropriate ingredients, and only 10% moisture.

Cats are designed by nature to get their nutrition from meat animals, and their moisture from their food.

An all dry diet leads to urinary tract disorders, kidney disease, obesity, diabetes, constipation, poor motility, chronic vomiting..to name just a few things.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

Feline Nutrition

Quote:
Thanks for the info. While I think that's one possible source of the problem, I think the more simple answer is probably the correct one. We'll continue to investigate, however.
The most common reason a cat avoids the litter box is illness and pain. Please don't let one of your cats suffer while you try to find a "simple" answer.

Something is wrong with at least one of your cats.

Untreated urinary tract disorders lead to kidney disorders. And it's the cat who suffers.

In males, blockage is common, and fatal, within 24 hours of being blocked. And it is an agonizing death. The bladder bursts.

To remove the scent of urine you need to use an enzymatic cleanser. Enzymatic means "breaks down bacteria". Look for special cleansers made specially for urine stains, but make sure they say "enzymatic"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-16-2016   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

wolfheart is on a distinguished road
Default similar issue

Hi everybody,
I have a similar problem with the difference that my cat is pooh on the carpet. We have three cats and 2 dogs. They are all friendly to each other. The cats use the same litter box which we keep clean all the time.I dont know why this happens. Must have to do with their psychology or something. Any advice on that would be appreciated
Unread 01-02-2017   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They cannot drink enough water to make up for the moisture deficit in a dry diet. Dry feed is high carb, poor quality, species inappropriate ingredients, and only 10% moisture.

Cats are designed by nature to get their nutrition from meat animals, and their moisture from their food.

An all dry diet leads to urinary tract disorders, kidney disease, obesity, diabetes, constipation, poor motility, chronic vomiting..to name just a few things.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

o you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

The most common reason a cat avoids the litter box is illness and pain. Please don't let one of your cats suffer while you try to find a "simple" answer.

Something is wrong with at least one of your cats.

Untreated urinary tract disorders lead to kidney disorders. And it's the cat who suffers.

In males, blockage is common, and fatal, within 24 hours of being blocked. And it is an agonizing death. The bladder bursts.
And yet, the simple answer is often the right answer.

It's been months since I last reported at least one of our cats were not using the litter box.

Since changing to a better scoopable litter, we've had no problems, and despite it being more than 24 hours, none of the cats have died an agonizing death.

So while I appreciate your input, I also thought it was incredibly irresponsible to "spot diagnose" my cats in such a haphazard manner.

I thought it was important to report back for anyone else who may happen to be reading your commentary, and understand just how careless your assessment was in this case.

Also, I appreciate your links to remote sites with info on better food for our cats, but this "post count limit" on this site is ridiculous. While I'm sure wet food is the better choice, I still maintain Purina would like return customers. If it was killing everyone's cats, they'd adjust their formula or go out of business. We just don't have the resources/time to invest in grinding our own food.

Tags
adult , bissell , carpet , cat answers , cat questions , cats , cleaning , commercial , dry , health , hey , hurt , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , pee , peeing , problem , problems , small , smell , spayed , suggestions , urine , vet , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links