It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Poezemie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Unanswered: Cat don't eat for 9 days

Help my cat stopped eating after my baby is born.
She eat really really little but in these 9 days she didn't eat in total what she normally eat in 1 day. Our cat doctor told us that she would not jump in baby bed when the baby arrived and before that we put balloons inside it. she did'nt jump inside it until baby arrived. So we didn't let her sleep in our room anymore. There are a lot of changes in one time for her. We search for a cat net for the crib but can't find one ( living in Egypt). Is there anything I can do to make my cat happy again and let her eat again? The cat doctor told us she will start eat again but she don't.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-14-2017   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

podryvnik is on a distinguished road

Cats are very jealous animals. When a small child is born, they can demonstrate it in every possible way.
For example, to hiss at the child, to piss on furniture, on carpets and so on. To declare a hunger strike in honor of such an event.
If the veterinarian has really told you that it will pass, then, most likely, so it is. The main thing here is not to self-medicate, so as not to destroy the animal.
Make a cat as happy as before, it is unlikely to succeed. The cat is already saddened by the appearance of a "competitor". Think about it - before all the attention was to the cat, and now to the small child.
The only thing you can do is try to pay attention to the cat too. Then, perhaps, she will calm down a little. And they can starve for two weeks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-14-2017   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by podryvnik View Post
Cats are very jealous animals. When a small child is born, they can demonstrate it in every possible way.
For example, to hiss at the child, to piss on furniture, on carpets and so on. To declare a hunger strike in honor of such an event.
If the veterinarian has really told you that it will pass, then, most likely, so it is. The main thing here is not to self-medicate, so as not to destroy the animal.
Make a cat as happy as before, it is unlikely to succeed. The cat is already saddened by the appearance of a "competitor". Think about it - before all the attention was to the cat, and now to the small child.
The only thing you can do is try to pay attention to the cat too. Then, perhaps, she will calm down a little. And they can starve for two weeks.
None of this is even remotely true. None of it.

OP don't pay a bit of attention to that post, it is total BS.

Your cat is extremely stressed and will become ill if she doesn't eat. I'm glad you took her to the vet, did the vet give her fluids at least to keep her going?

If she's been used to sleeping with you it's not clear to me why she can't still sleep with you. Let her investigate the baby in the bassinet while you supervise. She needs to know what's going on. Then she will likely curl up and sleep with you again.

When Baby is sleeping, make sure to spend lots of time with Kitty. Get her some good smelly wet food. Hand feed her if need be. She may enjoy the attention.

Make sure kitty has a safe place to be in every room, where she can perch and watch what is happening with Baby, without fear. Talk to Kitty and tell her all about Baby and what good friends they will be someday.

Stay calm, never EVER yell at kitty, just gently distract her if she seems to be paying too much attention to Baby, but you really do want Kitty to get used to Baby, so let her investigate and sniff.

For feeding, try canned food, tuna (but not too much) cooked chicken...

Can you get a calming tincture like Rescue Remedy? That may help Kitty a lot. You can put a little in her food, or rub it on her face and on the flap of her ears.

Cats thrive on routine, and Kitty's routine has been all turned upside down. It wil get better as she adjusts to the changes. Stay calm, but you are right to be concerned about the lack of eating. Try anything she wil eat and offer it to her by hand many times a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-14-2017 at 08:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-16-2017   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

marina is on a distinguished road

Love her like before and give her more attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to marina For This Useful Post:

Tags
art , baby , calm , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , depressed , eating , food , fur , furniture , happy , hey , hiss , joy , kitty , love , rescue , search , sleep , small

Sponsored Cat Links