It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

408chaos is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Unanswered: Can Anything be Done?

A year ago, my sister brought a very sick feral cat home. She promised not to bring her here if she wasnt spayed or was sick. She wasnt spayed & she was sick. I took her to a vet, & he did not think she would live. She had a horrible upper respiratory infection. It took a while, but she is now 10 lbs & she was only 4 lbs. The problem is, she sneezes around 30 times a day. And every time she does, snot flies everywhere. And i do mean everywhere. On the walls, the carpets & anything within a wide range of where she is sneezing. It used to be bloody snot, but she does not have an infection anymore. Its just snot. I cannot get my sister to take her to a vet, to see if something can be done. She informed me that she spoke with a vet, & he told her that the cat would always blow snot everywhere. That medicines could be given, but the problem would just come back. I have never ever had such such a problem. I have become attached to the cat, so I wont put her down, but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING that can fix this? I do not know if this is the right place to post my question. I dont really know what a "thread" is. I'm just desperate for a solution. I tried to upload pictures of my walls, but it said the picture size was too big. Help! I would love ANY suggestions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-21-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Kitty probably has a virus called Feline herpes. There is no cure, she will always have it but there are treatments to manage it.

I recommend pure L-lysine powder 500 mg a day, half in a morning meal half in an evening meal.

Feed low carb wet foods only. No dry food, avoid grains especially corn.

Some of these viral infections need more than the l-lysine. If the l-lysine is not effective, or helps at first and then the flare ups return more than once or twice a month, lactoferrin can be added.

Often flare ups go into secondary infection and then antibiotics are needed.

Stress can induce flare ups. Stress must be kept to a minimum. Is kitty now spayed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-22-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

408chaos is on a distinguished road

Acelrt,
Thank you so very much for responding & for the advice! I printed your advice & gave it to my sister. We were putting L-Lysine in her food, & it seemed to work for a few days. The problem is, we have 3 more cats & they are fed dry food as well as wet food in the a.m. The dry food is out all day & they eat it a couple of times a day. Is this highly contagious? Are my 2 cats now going to have it? If I cut out dry food for all of them, what do I replace it with? And when I open my eyes in the morning, there are 4 cats positioned around my bed, just staring at me. I dont think they would be happy if they didnt get their wet food in the a.m. In fact, I think they might hurt me. Just kidding. A little!
Anyhow, Thanks again. I havent gotten a single useful piece of advice, until yours. Oh, i forgot, when Shelby was brought here, she had a serious respiratory infection. Isnt that the problem & not herpes?
Sheryl
Unread 12-23-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Will be back to answer your questions tomorrow. Cats can learn to eat on a schedule

Here is some good reading on feline nutrition in the meantime

www.catinfo.org

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , age , antibiotics , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , dry , dry food , feral , food , home , hurt , infection , kitty , love , morning , pictures , problem , question , sick , spayed , suggestions , upload , upper respiratory , vet

Sponsored Cat Links