It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Felidire is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Trying to find the most ideal breed?

Hi, I'm 27 and work from home, spending a lot of time at a PC (easily 10+ hours a day). I'm trying to determine which breed would benefit the most from my lifestyle, and vice versa. I'll keep my eye on a few shelters, but purebreds seem to be a bit more predictable in terms of personality traits from what I've seen?

I'd prefer a cat that enjoys sitting on your lap (or on top of the chair near your head) often, or for long periods. Anywhere from 1-7 out of 10 on a vocal scale, and that would enjoy playing every 1-3 hours whenever I take a break. I think a one-person or family cat would be better than a highly aloof personality; one that follows you around, takes an interest and/or joins in whatever you're doing. I tend to like intelligent and energetic animals, which is unfortunate because I'm rather sedentary myself; so they'd have to be somewhat demanding about playtime, or nag me to take more breaks (which I could definitely use).

Shedding isn't an issue, and there's no other pets or children, although more cats is a possibility at some point. I've been looking at the following breeds, pretty much in that order:

Somali, Turkish Angora, Balinese, Javanese, Ragdoll, Turkish Van, Birman.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or personal experiences.

Last edited by Felidire; 02-14-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-22-2017   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

CreamHeroes is on a distinguished road

Hi dear! ^^
I would recommend you a Norwegian forest. They are quite big and really kind. They love human contact.
If you want, you can come to my youtube channel and see them. I have 6 cats and kittens. this is my link ^^ https: //www .youtube .com/watch?v=wguP3qVqzB8
I left some spaces as you can see because I don't know why I cannot post my link
Anyway, have a look if you like cats and if you want to have a healing and relaxing time ^^ <3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-26-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Anek is on a distinguished road

Think about Ragdoll
Unread 02-27-2017   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

RandyMiller is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you should opt for a Siamese because they love to sit on lap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-05-2017   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Sandyb is on a distinguished road
Default Breed suggestions

I notice you didn't list a Siberian. I have been thinking about getting a cat for several months and have a similar situation as you. Ater much research I have decided on a Siberian mainly because of their temperment and personality. They are very dog like and lovable. I get my little girl in about 2 weeks and will post some pictures then.
Good luck with your decision!
Unread 05-12-2017   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

meezermelody is on a distinguished road

Siamese cats would fit exactly what you are looking for. They are intelligent (my seal point taught himself how to open our bedroom door, to let himself in and out at night), they often bond strongly with one person, but are eager to greet any one that comes to the house, they love to snuggle, are very vocal and are very energetic. They do tend to get bored easily, so they do well in multi cat homes or with owners that are home a lot.
Unread 05-13-2017   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Actually Siamese would not be an ideal breed for the original poster. Siamese cats are very vocal and need a lot of attention. They are active cats, they would not be happy with a human that sits in front of a computer all day and they would let the human know it, very loudly and constantly.

The OP should go to the shelter and adopt an older cat who needs a quiet home to retire in peace. Or an older bonded pair. Plenty of senior cats needing a home such as was described.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-13-2017   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felidire View Post
I'd prefer a cat that enjoys sitting on your lap (or on top of the chair near your head) often, or for long periods. Anywhere from 1-7 out of 10 on a vocal scale, and that would enjoy playing every 1-3 hours whenever I take a break. I think a one-person or family cat would be better than a highly aloof personality; one that follows you around, takes an interest and/or joins in whatever you're doing. I tend to like intelligent and energetic animals, which is unfortunate because I'm rather sedentary myself; so they'd have to be somewhat demanding about playtime, or nag me to take more breaks (which I could definitely use).
lol Well given what she had said she was looking for, she wants a cat that is fairly vocal and will get her to take more breaks and is genuinely interested in what she is doing.
Unread 05-14-2017   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

And that is absolutely the wrong attitude to have going into pet ownership. It is not the cat's job to make the human do something.

It's the human's job to ensure he or she gives the cat the appropriate attention, stimulation and care.

What will follow in 6 months is a post from the person wanting to "rehome" the cat because they "don't have time for him" or he "talks too much" or he "needs too much attention".

Why should the animal live with sub-care because the owner is too lazy to discipline her/himself?

please read this first
Unread 05-14-2017   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

If you don't agree with my opinion that is fine, the OP asked for ideas about purebred cats (and listed balinese as one of her choices, which is a long haired siamese). From my experience (having 3 siamese cats, and about to adopt my 4th), what the OP said they are looking for is similar to that of a siamese personality.

If you are okay with adopting a cat that has potentially been abused so it is fearful or agressive towards people, came from sickly parents or has a poor tempermant, that's great! And you are a better person than I, because when I bring an animal into my home I want to know that it came from healthy parents (and their parents and grandparents ect were healthy too, so that I know the chances of my cats having a life threatening illness or other diseases that they will be bringing into my home and potentially infecting my other animals are slim), that they are well adjusted and well socialized, so that the cat can live a long, happy and healthy life in the comfort of my home.

I believe that if you are in the position it always better to try to save a cat that has no home, but that also doesn't mean that that choice is right for everyone. You clearly have strong views about adopting shelter cats, and that's awesome. But what works for you doesn't necessarily work for others. That doesn't make their opinion wrong, or bad or less than yours. It just makes it different.

And I believe it to be a little presumptuous on your part to assume that the OP will eventually want to be rehoming the cat in 6 months. The majority of cats that are in shelters are not pedegree cats, they are from irresponsible cat owners that do not spay/neuter their cats; not from owners whom spend a ton of time researching cat personalities in order to find the right one for them and their lifestyle.

Tags
angora , balinese , breed , breeds , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , children , eye , family , hey , home , kittens , love , opinion , personality , pictures , playing , ragdoll , relaxing , shelters , siamese , suggestions , vocal , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links