It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Walrez is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Have a kitten, bring another one?

Hi,
New user here
I rescued a kitten a couple of months ago. He's around 4 months old now.
He's extremely energetic, and if I don't play with him a lot, he will bite my hands/feet. But when he's calm he's very sweet.

I've been advised to bring another kitten. I would like some advice about the following issues:

* Are the considerations the same as with an older cat? (Separate rooms for a few weeks, etc), or being kittens around the same age will make it easier?

* There's a sweet 8 months cat that's not getting adopted because he lost his tail, is the age difference too big?

* Is a 2 month's old kitten too young? I fear that my current kitten will bully him or something.

I've been reading some stories here about bringing another kitten and it sounds quite complicated. I live in a 2 rooms apartments and I can't even think about placing 3 litter boxes, for example. I also work until quite late.

I wonder if this is a good idea after all… Is it?

Thanks in advance,
Walter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-11-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Never too late to bring in another! If you feel bonded to the tailless kitten (8 months is still very much a kitten) and the shelter has said he gets along with other cats, by all means bring him home!

Plan the adoption when you can take a few days off to help them settle in. Bring newbie home and put him in a room behind a door and bond with him a bit. Go out and let resident kitten smell you. Continue to exchange smells for a few days, and let them meet and greet under the door.

Exchange smells by running a piece of clothing you have worn, or a pillow case you've slept on, over one cat, then the other. This gets them smelling like you and like each other. Exchange the smells daily and put one piece of clothing under the dish of the kitten's food and the other under the newbie's good.

If you want to really do things up, you can install a screen door in the doorway. It's easy to do, I rent, am in a tiny one bedroom place, and have a screen door installed in my bedroom doorway. I did it one time when I rescued a stray who I wanted to keep separate for a few weeks, (I slept in the living room with the other cats during that time) but it is incredibly handy to have.

Then they can see each other.

Be sure to feed them both a good quality wet diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-11-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Do you keep more than one litter box? Is it a must?
Unread 06-11-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, I have three boxes and three cats. Well actually four boxes, but the fourth one is never used, it's underneath the litter platform.. Even with one cat you need at least 2 litter boxes. Many cats prefer to poop and pee in different places. Cats are prey animals, and pooping and peeing in different spots is an instinctual behavior to put off predators, they need to have that option.

Make sure you provide plenty of scratching posts, a variety of choices, and elevated perches too. Cats need their own territories. You can put shelves on the wall for them, even.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 06-12-2017   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Choosing..

It's amazing that a lot of people that I talk to about this offer me a kitten that needs a home. I live in Israel, where there are LOTS of stray cats, and I mean it. But neighbors usually feed them.

I care about cats that are "at disadvantage", to put it somehow. For example, the one that's missing the tail doesn't get adopted. I'll go visit him.

I talked yesterday with a person from a shelter, and she offered a female kitten (3 months old) that's missing a leg. She told me that she's very active and independent.

It saddens me a lot anyway... But I fear about what would happen with my hyperactive male kitten... Especially because I work very long hours and live alone. I feel that it could be... complicated

The "choosing process" is so difficult and is killing me... The fact that selecting one means another opportunity lost for the rest.

Last edited by Walrez; 06-12-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Unread 06-12-2017   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Your kitten isn't "hyperactive". That is normal behavior for kittens. Especialy for one left alone for too long. You really do need to get another if he is left for long hours alone. He will quickly become unsocialized. In your situation I would go for the older kitten, not another young one. The younger kitten needs guidance on how to be a cat. The older one will help him with that.

I know it's so difficult, when so many need help, so many need homes. Whatever you decide, you just have to understand that you can't save them all. But whoever you give a home to, you've made a difference, a world of difference, for that one.

please read this first
Unread 06-12-2017   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

That's really useful to know (about the older kitten).

The one with a missing leg is 6-7 months old, but I fear it would make things more complicated (I'm already a little nervous about possible wars at the beginning).
Unread 06-21-2017   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Cyclechic is on a distinguished road
Default i GOT TWO

Hi I had a four month old Balinese and got a two month old Chantilly Tffany. My Balinese was so sweet but she hissed at the new kitten and stalked it. Ikept the new kitten in a different room and supervised closely their increased interraction over 10 days, then they were best buds!! been that way for two years.

Tags
adopted , adoption , advice , age , apartments , bite , bully , calm , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , food , hey , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , litter boxes , lost , newbie , play , smell , stories , stray

Sponsored Cat Links