It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 5 Days Ago   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Was7707 is on a distinguished road
Default Answered: Kitten using litter box

Hello! I just got a new kitten about a week ago. I got her off of Craigslist and I'm SO glad I did because she was covered in fleas and didn't seem like she came from a great home. Anyways, she is about 9 or 10 weeks old and she is having some trouble with the litter box. She will go to the bathroom directly next to it or around it but not in it. When I am home I try to catch her and put her in it when I see her scratching the floor, but when I'm at work sometimes it's too late. I looked online and they suggested maybe a covered box? Ive also cleaned the carpeting to try to get rid of her scent so she tries to use the litter box. I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I have someone coming to watch her and I don't want her going to the bathroom all over the house so if anyone has any tips or suggestions I would appreciate it!! Thank you much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by acerlt
Okay that is good news!

It's good you are an experienced cat person, because it sounds like this little one is going to need a lot of love and patience.

I've thought of something else that may help. When you clean up her messes, place some of it in the litter box, so it's smells like her, so she knows what it's for.

Cats, in general, are very clean animals, and usually no litter box training is needed, they just know what to do. You may already know that. But who knows what she had to cope with in that place you got her from.

What kind of litter are you currently using? If it is "scented" that may be another thing putting her off, though I would guess you probably already know that cats hate scented litter?

I think, if you cat get the cat attract right away (if you have chain pet store nearby you can probably find it there) and a couple extra boxes, by the time you have to leave her with her sitter, she will be a pro.

How is she doing otherwise? How long has she been with you? The flea issue is sorted? She wil need de-worming too. Have you had her to the vet yet?

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 5 Days Ago   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Considering her beginnings it's likely she never had a clean box to use, so got in the habit of not using it. It's also possible she doesn't like the litter.

Is she avoiding it for just pee, just poop, or both?

Add litter boxes. (keep them open, no covered boxes) Get Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter. Put puppy pads around the litter boxes to make clean up easier.

https://www.drelseys.com/shop/cat-attract/

I'm glad you rescued her but you know you can't leave a kitten alone like that. Is the person caring for her going to live there? The baby cat is much too young to be left alone for more than a couple hours at a time.

Kittens are active social creatures. They need a person around to keep them safe, and to keep them learning social skills.

If the sitter is not planning to stay at your house, have the sitter take your kitten to live with her or him. Or cancel you plans and stay home until she is old enough to be boarded or left with a sitter (a couple of years)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 5 Days Ago   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Yeah I wouldn't leave a cat alone for a week. They are staying at the house. I've had three cats before but they were never kittens. She is doing neither peeing or pooping in the litter box. I'll try new litter and more boxes And see if that helps.
Unread 5 Days Ago   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Okay that is good news!

It's good you are an experienced cat person, because it sounds like this little one is going to need a lot of love and patience.

I've thought of something else that may help. When you clean up her messes, place some of it in the litter box, so it's smells like her, so she knows what it's for.

Cats, in general, are very clean animals, and usually no litter box training is needed, they just know what to do. You may already know that. But who knows what she had to cope with in that place you got her from.

What kind of litter are you currently using? If it is "scented" that may be another thing putting her off, though I would guess you probably already know that cats hate scented litter?

I think, if you cat get the cat attract right away (if you have chain pet store nearby you can probably find it there) and a couple extra boxes, by the time you have to leave her with her sitter, she will be a pro.

How is she doing otherwise? How long has she been with you? The flea issue is sorted? She wil need de-worming too. Have you had her to the vet yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 5 Days Ago   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Yeah I never really used scented because it doesn't really help in my opninion, just makes it smell like scented poop (lol) but I never heard of attract litter! I will definitely try that. Thank you a lot, I will go out today and get some

We've had her for almost two weeks. Her flea issue is gone we washed her in some dawn soap which is what my mother suggested.. and we picked all the fleas out. She has a vet appointment next week so we will see how that goes!

Tags
box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , fleas , great , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , litter box problems , litter boxes , new kitten , person , scratching , smell , social , suggestions , tips , vacation

Sponsored Cat Links