It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

sarah is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Please help

Ok guys i need help! I tried everything with my 6 month old kitten but nothing seems to work😣
He uses the litter box but also decides to pee on any carpet/rug/ cat mat in front of litter box/sheets/anything really whenever he feels like it. When we catch him in the act we tell him off spray him with water and sit him in the litter box. When we adopted him we thought it was just a phase and the vet wasn't too concerned either. We have since adopted a second kitten (same age) and they get along great. We have 2 litter boxes (also had 3 at some point but makes no difference).. I had a covered and non covered litter box but he uses both either way.. i scoop 2 daily and clean the box around every 5 days. Have tried different litters etc. Also tried feliway seems to work a little bit but now the refill os empty we are back to square one.😣😣😣 pls help
And yes i use an enzyme cleaner every time
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-18-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Stop yelling at him and spraying him with water. This is only making the situation worse. He doesn't know why you are doing that, and you are just causing more stress. Stress makes cats sick.

He knows where he is supposed to pee. Cats are clean animals. He is avoiding the litter box for a reason, probably pain.

Did the vet do a urinalysis to check for bacterial infection or crystals in the urine? If not, this needs to be done.

If he has been cleared for infection or uroliths or crystals then the problem is most likely to be stress induced cystitis. What this means is his urethra becomes inflamed. The inflammation causes pain when he pees. He blames the litter box for the pain so pees elsewhere to try to avoid the pain.

Now you can see how being screamed at and squirted with water when he is already hurting can make things worse.

Is he neutered?

Are you using scented litter? If you are, stop. Get rid of scented litter, cats hate it. Use plain clumping clay litter. No fragrance added.

However you may want to try Cat Attract litter for a while to get him back in the habit of using the boxes. I'll post a link for that at the bottom of this post.

Add more litter boxes. For two cats you should ideally have at least 3 boxes. Add another and have at least four.

Feed a wet only diet. No dry food. Ever. Feed wet foods that are low in carbohydrates. Carbs cause the urine pH to rise, creating an alkaline environment. Cats are supposed to have acidic urine. Meat and moisture is what keeps the urine pH down and flushed out. No dry food ever.

Canned foods that are low in carbs are usually the pate (loaf) types. Chunks in gravy and those types are high in carbs. Any wet is better than dry, but aim for the lower carb varieties. Avoid all grains in cat food.

Refill the feliway. It helped because it reduced his stress.

You may want to try a supplement called d-mannose. It's a powder that you will add to his food. D-mannose wil adhere to things in the bladder (bacteria, crystals) you don't want in there and they will be peed out.

It will also make him more comfortable. You give 1/8 teaspoon twice a day (added to wet food) for two weeks. Then go off it for a month. Then give it one week out of every month. It's called the pulse method.

You can also give him cosequin for cats. This is an anti-inflammatory which hels keep the bladder walls smooth so things don't stick to them and build up. It may also reduce inflammation in his urethra, reducing pain.

Remember to keep things very calm in your home. Stress, including yelling and spraying him with water, is only going to make things worse.

Here's the link to the cat attract litter. You can find it on Amazon, and in most pet stores

https://www.drelseys.com/shop/cat-attract/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-19-2017   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

When you’re introducing your new cat to your home, the litter box should be one of your first stops. Let her sniff it a bit, and then place her inside it. She may dig around a bit, or she may hop out. If she hops out, place her inside it again in an hour or two. If you experience problems getting a cat to use the litter box, experiment with different types of litter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-02-2017   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

fatoutandia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Ok guys i need help! I tried everything with my 6 month old kitten but nothing seems to work��
He uses the litter box but also decides to pee on any carpet/rug/ cat mat in front of litter box/sheets/anything really whenever he feels like it. When we catch him in the act we tell him off spray him with water and sit him in the litter box. When we adopted him we thought it was just a phase and the vet wasn't too concerned either. We have since adopted a second kitten (same age) and they get along great. We have 2 litter boxes (also had 3 at some point but makes no difference).. I had a covered and non covered litter box but he uses both either way.. i scoop 2 daily and clean the box around every 5 days. Have tried different litters etc. Also tried feliway seems to work a little bit but now the refill os empty we are back to square one.������ pls help
And yes i use an enzyme cleaner every time
Hello. Each cat has an unique nature like human. Understanding it in parallel, you can check out your Vet for your kitty regarding using litter box issues whether he's physically comfortable. If he's physically fit in all ways based on vet's feedback, please try out with various smooth experiments to make him utilize the litter box properly. Timing may differ to adopt but continuous practices will make him adopted at one point.

Tags
adopted , age , box , carpet , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clean , food , great , hey , kitten , litter , litter box , litter boxes , mat , pee , pet , sick , urine , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links