It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

grayslick is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Cat cries all night when roommate is gone

Hi, my roommate has an indoor cat who just screams at the top of his lungs all night when his owner is gone. They only leave when they absolutely have to because of this, but they're going again over the weekend and cannot afford boarding. Obviously I'm making sure he has food and water. It doesn't seem to stem from boredom or lack of affection, the last time they were gone he did this the first night so I spent every single minute of the following day with him. Petted him, played with him, napped with him literally all day and it had no effect. It seems like he's just super stuck on his owner which seems odd because they don't even interact that much, he kind of a keeps to himself. I'm not sure how to react when he screams or how I might prevent it. Over the nights I tried sleeping in their room with him, ignoring him in hopes he'd stop, holding him in hopes he'd calm, playing with him to wear him out, locking him in a different room than where he goes to scream, giving him calming supplements. Nothing worked. Any suggestions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-11-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Poor kitty! Some cats do get terrible separation anxiety. You are such a kind loving person to try so hard with him.

Is he food motivated? I was thinking special treats that he gets only when it's just you and him. PureBites freeze dried chicken breast for instance. This will help him associate those rare periods with a good thing.

I also recommend you get some Rescue Remedy for pets. This may help a lot to calm his distress. Put four drops into his wet food every 4-6 hours, or longer if he doesn't needed it that often.

It can also be rubbed on his lips/cheek, or into the upper part of his ear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

joh78 is on a distinguished road

So sad, she is suffering from loneliness anxiety.

Tags
anxiety , behavior , calm , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , food , hey , indoor , kitty , loving , meowing , misbehavior , night , person , pet , playing , rescue , sad , separation , sleeping , stop , suggestions , water

Sponsored Cat Links