It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Newtokitten75 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: New kitten hiding- how long before I need to panic??

We brought a sweet little kitty home yesterday. Came from the humane society where there were at least 30 kittens. We have 2 big dogs and a cat. The dogs are curious but respecting his space. Everyone hung out last night, we let him explore and all was good. This morning at 830 I brought him to the litter box, he did his business and then started to eat. Something spooked him and I heard him running. I haven't seen him since. I'm guessing he's hiding and will come out when he gets hungry? We've looked all over and called him but he does 't know us and doesn't even have a name yet :/
I'm hoping he'll wake up soon and come out of hiding. But how long until I need to start worrying he is stuck somewhere?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-17-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

How many rooms in the house?

Ideally you would have kept him in one room for a few days. Let him get used to one space, and the other pets get used to the new one, then gradually allow him more access, supervised at first until you are sure he is going to be safe.

I asked how many rooms, to narrow down where he might be.

Also, how old is he?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-17-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

I have many rooms, it's a big house. What I should have done is not overly helpful at this point. But thank you. I just need to know if I should be worried.
Unread 08-18-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

It is helpful because when you find him, you put him in one room, and start the introduction process over again.

Hopefully he has appeared by now, and you have proceeded to do that.

To answer your question, yes, if a kitten hides and you can't find him for hours in a large house, it is cause for worry. Kittens need to eat large quantities of wet food, often. They decline quickly if they don't eat.

I wanted to know how many rooms because I was going to suggest you put a small amount of wet food in every room he could be in, and whichever room the food has been eaten, that is where he is. Then, since he has chosen that room as his, keep him in there for a few more days and gradually (shutting all other doors) start letting him explore under supervision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 08-18-2017   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I am sorry for my tone yesterday I was very worried. He did come out and ate and drank, and used his litter box. He stayed with us for a little while then went back to his spot which I've narrowed to downstairs, which have no doors, but the laundry room has a gate up so only my other cat can access that's where we keep her litter box (away from dogs) so I'm guessing he likes that room. He'll get used to us 😊❤️

Tags
art , box , business , cat , cat answers , cat questions , dogs , food , hiding , home , house , introduction , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , morning , new kitten , night , question , wake

Sponsored Cat Links