It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-06-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Catman007 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: New cat in house hold with older cat who was declawed

Hello I just recently got a new cat who is about 5 months old she is a female. A 6 year old female already lived in the home who is declawed. When my son was born we got the 6 year old declawed because she was getting sprayed anyways and we were worried about her clawing our new born by mistake or when he got older on purpose if he provoked her. Back then truthfully I didn't even know it was cruel or how it was done but now I do.....

Which is why I'm here. The new cat is bullying the 6 year old cat constantly all day every day with her claws. She is making the older cat squeel, yelp and cry. She is vicious using her claws and making her bleed etc. Other then this they get along sometimes even lick eachother. But the little one seems to go after the big one whenever it sees the other cat no matter what. I'm worried because the older cat can't defend itself with out claws and I'm worried about the psychological effect and what I'd these cuts get infected etc that the smaller cat is inflicting? Do I get her declawed also so it's fair and neither of them have claws or do I just let it go on forever risking the older cats life/health?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-06-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

This is normal kitten behavior.

First: Keep the kitten's claws trimmed. Snip the sharp little tips off once a week.

Play with the kitten more. Kittens need an enormous amount of interactive play time from the human. You need to provide the kitten with scratching posts, good tall sturdy sisal ones. A few cardboard ones, curved, flat and angles, will also help.

Make sure the resident cat has a room or place to go to get away from the kitten.

When kitten is starting to harass your older cat, distract the kitten with a game yourself. Make sure she has toys that she can attack and dig her claws into. A stuffed animal about her own size. They do make specific cat toys for this. A rolled up newspaper is also a good toy for a rambunctious kitten. Great to claw bite and shred a rolled up newspaper. When she goes for the older cat, give her one of those instead.

Older cat needs to know you are going to protect her.

Normally a 6 year old cat can keep up with a kitten, but unfortunately your adult cat lives in chronic pain, so she just can't cope.

There are things you can do for her. Have her paws x rayed to check for bone chips, and claw regrowth under the pads. Do you check her pads on a regular basis?

Her body should be x rayed every year too, because the arthritis has most likely already started.

I would use a vet who does not declaw, if at all possible. Don't go back to the vet who did the amputations on your older cat. That vet is likely to be defensive and not want to admit there could be any long term affects (except there always are)

Declawed cats' entire bodies are affected by the amputations. I realize you understand that now. I'm not saying this to condemn you but to help you understand ways to help her feel better.

In addition to having her paws and whole body x rayed you can help her by giving her massages. This will help stretch and tone her muscles, and improve blood flow. If she doesn't allow you to touch her, that is a very good indication she is in pain.

Diet is important also. Feed both cats a good quality wet diet. If you are free feeding dry food, you will have to gradually transition a scheduled timed feedings, and then work on adding in wet food until they are on fully wet.

Feeding a good diet wil help both of them.

The Paw Project and City the Kitty Advocate for Animals both have lists of vets who do not declaw.

The Paw Project | Veterinarians Who Won't Declaw

For City's site choose "select" and then find the no declaw list..choosing either USA or Canada (the only two civilized countries who still do this horrible thing)

City the Kitty - Official

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 09-06-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

alexmercer is on a distinguished road

maybe you'll want to try to play with them together. this is a very good way to introduce them to each other.

Tags
behavior , bleed , bullying , cat , cat answers , cat needs , cat questions , cats , clawing , claws , female , health , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , mat , mistake , new cat , play , scratching , toys

Sponsored Cat Links