It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
cool dude

Default How do you stop your cat bringing in birds and mice

that you have go rescue and let free.? She brings in unharmed or slmost unharmed creatures. Though I shout and scream at her she is undeterred. Most have been rescued and let free but not always.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
reichman2007

It is just their way of showing "LOOK AT ME!!!"Maybe go outside with your cat more often is all i can think of.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
Amanda

They bring animals home to show them off to their parents. I had a cat bring a LIVE SQUIRREL into my house once...that was beyond not fun for me! I had to let her catch it again because I couldn't.

Unread 02-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
boris

That is like a new toy for your cat. Your cat will never stop doing that. It loves toys! Remember when you were a kid? If you could get free toys from outside, wouldn't you? The only way to stop your cat is to stop letting it go outside. If you take it's toys away eventually it will start hiding them from you... my cat's did the same thing until one day someone called us telling us our cat was in the middle of a busy intersection. We never let them outside again!

Unread 02-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
jonico61

Put a bell around kitty's neck to give the critters a fair warning. IF they don't heed it, they have only themselves to blame!

Unread 02-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
catty

You can start tricks with her; like what she likes more; some sort of favorite food, she would get it if she does as you are ordering her.

Unread 02-01-2007   #7 (permalink)
DoRight

That would be a pain! I've heard that cats bring their masters a caught bird or mouse as gifts. If that's what you think your cat is doing - bringing you a gift, then I would just ignore her when she did it. You already know screaming doesn't bother her. But if she's just bringing them inside for the fun of it, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to stop her from doing that. Unless you meet her at the door each time she wants to come inside.Sorry, that is a tough one! I hope someone else can help you with that one. Call your vet!

Unread 02-01-2007   #8 (permalink)
frootiee_tootiee

They're trying to show off to you, and make you proud. I guess your cat is a little confused now at why you keep shouting at her. It's also in the cat's nature to hunt birds and rodents. It might also be bored so give it something to do. Buy some cat toys, and play with her. Keep her busy and tired so that she won't have time or energy to catch mice and birds. It will be harder to keep her from bringing in mice and birds if she is an outside cat. If she's ok with being inside most of the time, then keep her inside. Cats are hard to train so I don't know a way to train your cat.I agree with jonico...tie a bell around its neck.

Unread 02-01-2007   #9 (permalink)
katz

dont let your cat outside. there are many toys you can buy/make if you think your cat is bored.(dont worry about it though' all cats have that natural instint its their way of showing how much they care!!!)

Unread 02-01-2007   #10 (permalink)
jupustepemepe

You can't shout or scream at them.When cats bring in birds etc. they are giving you a present in the wild this is what they would for other cats in the same group or a group they want to get in to. By shouting and getting mad at them they only feel you are unhappy with what they brought and so they go get more.You have to pet them and tell them how good they were showing them you like what they brought. They should then bring less or stop bringing them all together.I read over some of the other answers, you shouldn't stop letting her out and ya abell is a good idea, try to get one with a BIG bell because they end up learning how to hold the bell with their head.Mine did anyways

Tags
art , birds , care , cat , cat toys , cat's , cats , food , free , fun , gift , gifts , happy , hey , hiding , home , house , indoor , kitty , love , mouse , natural , pet , play , playing , present , rescue , scream , smart , stop , toys , tricks , vet , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links