It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
Laura R

Default My adopted shelter cat doesn't have an official name yet!?

Help me! I feel like a horrible cat owner! I've adopted a very dark torishell cat from the local shelter. She's been living with us since November. We still call her by her shelter name "Queen Mama". I want to rename her, but am so stuck. Here are her characteristics: -she was found by the shelter with her 3 kittens; -she meows alot at night while she carries objects in her mouth (I'm assuming she misses her kittens);-her right front paw is crooked (it hooks outward);- she's skinny.Thanks for your help!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
James k

name it shelter

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-30-2007   #3 (permalink)
Jasmyn

Whiskers is a cute name to me. I would name her that.

Unread 03-30-2007   #4 (permalink)
kathlynne

malteasers that is what we called my sisters cat that is a dark tortie. it is different or stick with her shelter name but call her queenie for short.

Unread 03-31-2007   #5 (permalink)
Ron

Name her kitty

Unread 03-31-2007   #6 (permalink)
The_Darker_Side_of_Me

there are millions of names you could use i say name her Chance cause you are kind enough to give her a wonderful second chance to be loved and happy but whatever you name her she will still be very happy and love you the same

Unread 03-31-2007   #7 (permalink)
Lillian L

There are lots of obvious (and boring) names, like Tortie (similar to "Callie" often used to name calico cats), Noisy, Hook, Slim, etc. However, what about something that describes her former feral status? My sister named one of her cats, Mia Feral. You could also just shorten the shelter name to Queen or Queenie. If you have other pets, you could try for a name that would correspond. For example, my sister (who has always been clever with pet names), once had two cats names Ike and Mamie (for the Eisenhowers).

Unread 03-31-2007   #8 (permalink)
Jessica C

If its a girl you should name her Gipsy or Sundae and if its a boy Whodini (who-dee-nee).

Unread 03-31-2007   #9 (permalink)
imetmissillinois

you should name her muffin because i just think that it is an adorable cat name and i hope you like it too!

Unread 03-31-2007   #10 (permalink)
ladyk5dragon

Ask the cat. I know this sounds weird but it works. The first time I got my hands on my cat (not from a shelter, I know bad me) the name "Sasha" poped into my head along with a sence of awe about how big the pet store was. This has worked for shelter cats too. 3 of my mom's last 4 cats named themselves. Fancy (Abl, NM pound) purred happily when mom said, "My what a Fancy cat" as well as stopped all 3 of us with a claw hooked into our jeans when we passed by her cage (this was 1979). As the story goes with Mom's most recent cats, Prissy and the late Missy, at the shelter Mom got the feeling of the cats names as if Pissy was introducing them to her.So just look or hold your cat and ask her. But remember what T.S. Eliot said in "Old Possums Book of Practical Cats"The naming of cats is no simple matterIt not one of your Holiday gamesAnd you may think I'm as mad as a HatterWhen I say that a cat must have three different namesAs for the "talking" and carrying toys around, Prissy has done that for years and yes I think you new cat misses her kits. Prissy never had a litter, but she did suckle her sister and treats her "Beany Babies" as kittens.

Tags
adopted , adorable , babies , book , boy , cat , cats , cute , feral , found , girl , happy , holiday , kittens , kitty , litter , mat , new cat , night , paw , pet , queen , shelter , shelter cats , story , toys , weird

Sponsored Cat Links