It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > Cat Rescue > Cats In Need
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
CK,TX

Default Should I take the cats to an animal shelter or wait to find them another home?

A couple of years ago I adopted 2 brother cats that had not been apart from each other since birth. I thought mine would be their 'forever home.' Unfortuntely, I now need to either find them another home or take them back to the shelter, because of allergies my family has had problems with. Now, I feel horrible that I am in this position and worry how this might affect these cats. I considered placing an ad in the paper, but worry it will take a long time to find a good home this way......my alternative is to take them to an animal shelter and have this traumatize them somehow that they might not get adopted again....I do love these cats, but my families health is a risk now.Are there any alternatives?Most of my extended families have allergies and would not be able to take in 2 cats.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
bfd2012

I feel your pain i just had to take my 2 babys to the shelter(no kill) today..ive been crying all day...I would see if a relative or neighbor could take them first.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
ddy'sgrl77

Adoption is an option although it may take longer depending on paperwork etc. Sometimes a Petco or a simular place will take in animals if they are up to date on their shots. I look at it like this, you've had them for how long, two years, it would be great for them to give them a little more time and for you to get them into a loving home which they do deserve. Can you place them outdoors? The dander is what causes allergies, I think. Try putting them outside and see how that works until you're able to place them into a new home.

Unread 04-02-2007   #4 (permalink)
Beverly H

Find out if the shelter is a no kill or if there is a no kill place that will take them. The city where I live is coming down on me for having too many (I have only 3 ferals, 2 boarders that will probably be gone by summer and 6 others so I fear that I am in the same boat. I know that mine will be unadoptable because I am a loner and therefore they are too. There is 1 no kill place here in Wichita and she is full. I am hoping to find homes for them. The good thing is that they are fixed, and have their rabies shots so that may help. I am looking for a farm that is looking for cats that will be barn cats. Mine function well outside so there is reason for hope.

Unread 04-02-2007   #5 (permalink)
mycathouse

First try to find a no-kill shelter. It's not an easy thing...many have long waiting lists, but if you can find one that is accepting new cats it'll be your fastest alternative. Keep in mind no alternative is really immediate, because it can takes MONTHS for the allergens from pets to dissappear from your home, even with thorough cleaning. If you need to buy some time, bathe the cats with special shampoo you get at better pet shops that reduces their allegens. It works wonders, but you will need to rebathe the cats weekly, if I remember correctly. Also, keep your cats away from the allergic person by keeping them confined to a single room or the basement. I wouldn't worry about the cat's psyches so much at this point, I'd be more concerned about finding a new home so they won't end up being put to sleep at a shelter. They'll adjust to their new home just fine once you've found one. Cats are very slutty and will fall in love with anyone who feeds them, pets them, and gives them some TLC. Go to a regular shelter only as a very last resort. Many will only keep cats 3-5 days before putting them to sleep. Good luck!

Tags
adopted , adoption , allergic , allergies , animal , birth , cat's , cats , cleaning , confined , crying , family , fixed , found , great , health , hey , home , homes , love , loving , new cats , new home , no-kill , person , problems , rabies , shelter , sleep , slut , worry

Sponsored Cat Links