It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > Cat Rescue > Cats In Need
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2007   #1 (permalink)
Ramona

Default Just rescued a 7 week old kitten. I have never had a cat before. How do you...

..."train" a cat to behave?? I am mostly concerned about her scratching furniture and other damaging behaviours. She is sooo cute! I want to train her right so as to enjoy a long and happy relationship with her...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-27-2007   #2 (permalink)
stormy

Be firm with her, don't let her on the dining table and kitchen (unless you want to)..if she does start going places you don't want her..pick her up, and gently 'plop' her someplace else..with a Firm NO when you re-locate her...soon all you will have to do is say NO...provide her with her own little area (away from her litter and food) where she can have her toys, and maybe a little kitty-bed or blanket...perhaps a stuffed furry animal for her to snuggie into..sprinkle liberally with catnip! make sure she has a scratching post, or one of those cardboard scratch things...spend time with her every day in 'her' spot, and play with her. When you come home after being away, greet her, pick her up, take her to her spot (or..wherever) and pay attention to her..you will bond and have a wonderful relationship. NEVER hit or yell...cats HATE that...also...buy a book on Cats....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-28-2007   #3 (permalink)
muffett1

get her a good scratching post & when she goes to furniture to scratch say no loudly pick her up & take her to the scratching post make the motiions on the post with her paws she will get the idea..good luck

Unread 04-28-2007   #4 (permalink)
kita079

u cant cats r crazy

Unread 04-28-2007   #5 (permalink)
im2bzlookinfine

usually you can let the cat train you. Usually the cat will leave when you shoo it away from the furniture, also there is some stuff that will encourage them to stay away when they spray.

Unread 04-28-2007   #6 (permalink)
Beth

training a cat takes lots of time. is what you need to do is goto the pet store buy 2 different kinds of scratch post then stick with one your cat likes best. scolder her if you catch her scratching on the furniture. A water bottle is the best way for most cats hate water and they don't forget it. always give the cat lots of love and play time. Also try to stay away from catfood that has ash in it.

Unread 04-28-2007   #7 (permalink)
austicmail

You can't really train a cat.They listen to no one, and are very independent. As for scratching furniture, I recommend 'soft claws', if your cat is an indoor-one. They are little plastic claws you glue on to a cat's real claws. Their are also several sprays and devices that work.

Unread 04-28-2007   #8 (permalink)
brighterthanyou

That was a very funny question this one is simple you don't train a cat it trains you .

Unread 04-28-2007   #9 (permalink)
punkkaygirl.

Well my cat was misbehaving, and she would scratch on the couches, or try to go pee in our house, and we used a water gun to punish her. Everytime you catch the cat in the act of doing something its not supposed to, give it a small squirt.Im not talking about those huge water guns, just the ones that are like a 6 pack for $0.99You can find them cheap.And sson enough the cat will behave, and you will find how sweet in adoring she is. But until then,I hope it works

Unread 04-28-2007   #10 (permalink)
Lucy44

If you have any pet stores where you live,then go there and ask for "No Scratch" it is a spray for cats.You just spray it on furniture or where evershe scratches and she will stop.It won't stain anything.It really works.I know,because I have 3 cats.Also,go to your local Library and check outbooks on training cats.They should have them.

Tags
animal , art , book , cat , catnip , cats , claws , crazy , cut , cute , food , fur , furniture , happy , hey , home , indoor , joy , kitten , kitty , litter , love , mat , pee , pet , play , scratch , scratching , scratching furniture , small , toys , training , water

Sponsored Cat Links