It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
hampshire73

Unhappy Virginia Retired Couple Urgently Needs Home

I have two wonderful indoor cats, Fireball and Midnight, who have been with me for nearly 14 years. Fireball is an orange female (spayed) who is very friendly and affectionate. Midnight is a black male (neutered) with a couple of white spots on his underside. He is shy, but is fine if he can be with Fireball. They are a couple, and if at all possible, I want to keep them together.

They are up to date with all their shots and have been given a clean bill of health as of yesterday. If someone is willing to foster or adopt them, I will provide their complete medical history.

Of course, you want to know why I'm giving them up. I never thought I would, and I'm crying as I type this because I don't want to give them up.

I live in a rural area in southern Virginia. I found out recently that I need to move to D.C. to look after my mother. My sister has been doing this, but in the past two months, my sister has been hospitalized with heart failure three times. Both she and our mother are allergic to cats. I need to go there and take care of both of them, and Fireball and Midnight can't come with me.

I have been looking for a new home for my companions for a few weeks now and my time is running out. During the same time, I have been applying for jobs in the D.C. area, but I haven't been called for any interviews yet. If I had a definite job, I might be able to get an apartment there and bring my cats, but that isn't working out at this point.

A friend of mine would be able to take Fireball but not Midnight. Midnight had his front claws removed years ago, so he must always be a strictly indoor cat. I'm trying very hard to find someone who can take both of them. I don't think Midnight can live without Fireball.

Please help! I will post a photo of them the next time I have internet access. If you can help me, my cell phone number is 434-517-1032. Please don't call to chew me out for giving up my companions -- I'm stressed out and upset enough already.

Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am sorry you are faced with these circumstances.

Please don't separate them, no matter what. At 14 years old they would be better euthanized than rehomed separately. At least if they can stay together, though awful for them, they will have eachother.

However I think... why can't you keep them in one room of your mother's house? Staying in one room, with you, would be better than rehoming. That will contain the dander (what people are allergic to)

You can control the dander even more by wiping them down daily with a damp cloth. Dander is what forms on a cat's fur from her saliva when she washes.

You can keep your clothes in a closet or dresser, and change before you tend your mother. I urge you to try this set up before letting them go.

Then...if you do find work and your own home, you will still have them with you.

PS I know some people will object to my suggestion of euthanasia. But I look at my cats, especially the older one, and I know that I would put them to sleep rather than rehome them. They would never adjust.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
hampshire73

Thanks for your reply, acerlt.

Actually, you are not the first person to suggest that I keep the cats in my room at my mother's house. Unfortunately, that won't work for at least a couple of reasons.

The room is small, and there would be no space for the cats to run around at all. The second problem is that the door on that room doesn't latch properly and they would be able to open it easily. The potential third problem is that there is a possibility I will have to share that room with my sister, who likes cats but has asthma so bad that she can't be around them at all without ending up in the hospital.

Thanks again, and I will keep in mind the other things you said.

Unread 08-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I am sorry you are faced with these circumstances.

Please don't separate them, no matter what. At 14 years old they would be better euthanized than rehomed separately. At least if they can stay together, though awful for them, they will have eachother.

PS I know some people will object to my suggestion of euthanasia. But I look at my cats, especially the older one, and I know that I would put them to sleep rather than rehome them. They would never adjust.
I want to add that...even rehomed together there is no guarantee, whoever takes them will keep them together. Or be willing to care for them in their old age.

I know it would be devastating, for you, if you have to put them to sleep. But it would be even more devastating to them, to be separated from you, and then potentially separated from each other.

I'm so sorry it has come to this for you.

the small room should not be an issue. Regardless of the size of the home, they would be with you, and that is what they need most.

FWIW, regarldess of allegies, I would never insist a sister of mine give up her elderly pets. I would take pills, get shots, wear masks and gloves, whatever it took. I know that's not helpful, but my heart is breaking for you, and I can't help feeling angry that you are being forced to make these choices.

I am in tears, writing this.

One more idea, would be to contact a rescue/foster group in the DC area and see if you can find a foster home for them until you get settled somewhere. But I just don't know if that would be best for them, at 14. Sigh.....

Last edited by acerlt; 08-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Unread 08-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I remember one time, I helped a friend of mine find a small room when her parents can not accept her cats at home. So she moved out into that small room with her two cats. And as a result, her two cats were so healthy and happy as a whole in that small room. They were also inseparable.
When things go wrong with your circumstance, I always believe what my friend told me, no matter how hard it is, as long as they can be together with her, it's always better than being separated (the two cats, cats and her). She firmly believed that, and it worked.

I hope you can consider this too -- as for your sister, I think Acer is right. I'm allergic too with asthma, have been talking medicine for years. I don't care about it as long as I can be with my furry babies.

Please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Stories like this are the reasons why I think cats who are Feral, those who live wild and free from human control live the best if not the safest, longest or healthiest lives.

Reasons for this thinking are as follows

They don't get De clawed- what you have done to your cats, probably unknowingly sad to say, is no better then torture they used to do to people in the dark ages, go here www.StopDeclaw.com

A feral lives the life of fulfilling all its hunting, territory instincts and outdoor sights,smells,ect. to do this to a indoor house cat would cost you oh something like 4 or 5 grand, A self built enclosure, ect,ect.

MOST cat food is poorer then what ferals eat, Dry food has been compared by some as like eating hard pasta with powered cheese and expecting to have good dental health. Unlike most tame cats wild cats eat whole prey, other animals. Compare this to eating the poorest fast food everyday for the rest of your life to eating like early man did? Or to a diet of veggies,fruit and free range meats. In lewis and clark the indian woman that guided them was reported to have lived to over 110, how many of us see that before heart disease, cancer obesity, ect?

Wild, if a feral is killed by people its usually not caged, it is usually shot, its though more gory probably less traumatic then sitting in a shelter and being forcefully restrained,ect,ect. Some tame cats are sold to labs or gassed or tortured.

If other animals catch and eat them shock prevents much suffering and its helping the predator get food AND its healthier for our environment in what we CAN control by not polluting, ( some people don't like ferals because they kill natives thats like saying you can make lots of water out of a wet stone). It is already so messed up with exotic imports that it will NEVER be normal. Most Tame cats ( most not all) get made into pet food when they die the PTS drugs are like heavy medias in river fish they get into the groundwater,kill wildlife or pets.

My advise is to look into a new home where they can stay together, if that is not possible then I would put them down at a vets and take them them home and dispose of them by burning/burying so they don't get fed to more cats/dogs.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-08-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Unread 08-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Stories like this are the reasons why I think cats who are Feral, those who live wild and free from human control live the best if not the safest, longest or healthiest lives.

They don't get De clawed- what you have done to your cats, probably unknowingly sad to say, is no better then torture they used to do to people in the dark ages, go here www.StopDeclaw.com

A feral lives the life of fulfilling all its hunting, territory instincts and outdoor sights,smells,ect. to do this to a indoor house cat would cost you oh something like 4 or 5 grand, A self built enclosure, ect,ect.

MOST cat food is poorer then what ferals eat, Dry food has been compared by some as like eating hard pasta with powered cheese and expecting to have good dental health. Unlike most tame cats wild cats eat whole prey, other animals. Compare this to eating the poorest fast food everyday for the rest of your life to eating like early man did? Or to a diet of veggies,fruit and free range meats. In lewis and clark the indian woman that guided them was reported to have lived to over 110, how many of us see that before heart disease, cancer obesity, ect?

Wild, if a feral is killed by people its usually not caged, it is usually shot, its though more gory probably less traumatic then sitting in a shelter and being forcefully restrained,ect,ect. Some tame cats are sold to labs or gassed or tortured.

If other animals catch and eat them shock prevents much suffering and its helping the predator get food AND its healthier for our environment in what we CAN control by not polluting, ( some people don't like ferals because they kill natives thats like saying you can make lots of water out of a wet stone). It is already so messed up with exotic imports that it will NEVER be normal. Most Tame cats ( most not all) get made into pet food when they die the PTS drugs are like heavy medias in river fish they get into the groundwater,kill wildlife or pets.

First off, I want to know truly, what the heck all this had to do with the original posted questions? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Unread 08-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Basically its my opinion on cats.

I DID advice her in the end what I thought she should do. I hope she can place them but it probably wont happen, most unwanted cats esspeically older cats are put down. De clawed cats are even less likely to be adopted. The best thing she can do therefore is to stop the cycle of cat eat cat and the companies that promote it by not allowing the bodies to be rendered. hopefully in her area its legal to bury pets
Unread 08-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post

What a load of crap.

Ferals live on average two or three years. They are infested with parasites, they are malnourished and they often die lingering painful deaths from wasting diseases such as feline leukemia, feline aids or rabies.

They also breed, and inbreed, indiscriminately.

Your use of this community for your propaganda is getting old.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-09-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Unread 08-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

In 2004 in LA alone 85% of the cats put down in shelters were only kittens, I highly doubt 85% of all wild cats born die. Useally when they die they are recycled back into nature and not laced with PTS drugs.

If in a TNR program ferals can live up and over 2 or 3.

Pets can and do go into pet food, currently there's no law prohibiting it from happening in most areas of the US

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-09-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
affectionate , allergic , apartment , asthma , black , boy , care , cat lovers , cats , claws , clean , crying , diet , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , elderly , environment , exotic , facts , fast , female , feral , food , foster , found , free , friendly , health , heat , hey , home , house , indoor , informative , internet , laser , legal , mat , medical , needs home , new home , obesity , opinion , outdoor , person , pet , pet food , pills , problem , sad , sale , shelter , small , spayed , stories , type , upset , water , wild

Sponsored Cat Links