It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
mgt
Newborn

mgt is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Urgent -Main Coon needs help asap - Rio Grande Valley area

Hey guys. There is a NEUTERED male Maine Coon cat at a shelter that needs to go to a rescue right away, otherwise they have to put him to sleep. (and they've told us The Oasis is the only rescue that is willing to take in cats from them).

This cat tested NEGATIVE for all the FIV, Felv tests, but he does have an upper respiratory infection, so they can't put him up for adoption.

The tricky thing is, until he gets over it, he should be kept away from other cats, so no one will catch it from him. This means we need to find either:

-foster home with no cats
- OR someone who has an extra room where this guy can live (without being around other cats), until his symptoms clear up

*his only symptom is sneezing.

Unfortunately, they can only hold him 1-2 days MAX. I asked them to please call me before they put him to sleep. But honestly, I have NOWHERE to put a cat that can't come in contact with my cats. So...if you can help this guy, or know someone who would like to foster him, please call me IMMEDIATELY!: 956-240-0701 (leave a message..we'll be at an adoption event tomorrow. but I'll get your message right away).

Thank you all. I hope we can help this guy.

-Elizabeth Sterns
The Oasis Animal Sanctuary
www.theoasisanimalsanctuary.com
theoasis.petfinder.com
The Oasis | MySpace
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Oh dear I'd be more than happy to take him, but I live in Norway. I have a Maine Coon myself. This is heartbreaking! They're such kind and gentle creatures. I hope someone nearby will take him.

The sneezing is probably nothing serious. Mine sneezes too occasionally, it's normal.
Unread 08-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately it's all too common, mainly because not enough people spay and neuter their pets.

I'm sorry I can't help either, but I wanted to add a cautionary statement. I understand the situation for this cat is desperate but it is very dangerous to advertise for homes over the internet like this, unless you plan to do a thorough back round and household check, plus references, including vet. I realize of course, being a rescue org yourself you probably go that route with adoptions.

But you want a foster home rather than an adoption, so of course you can't charge an adoption fee, to weed out anyone looking for "free cats". Do you at least, stay in close touch with a foster home?

I am saying all this because people cull internet boards looking for "free cats" to do unspeakable things to. I think it is happening more and more, because of the internet and places like youtube where it has become a fun game to take videos of animal abuse and post it on the internet.

There's always that first one, they get caught and a slap on the wrist, and then you get a bunch of copy cats and...well the fact that it happens haunts me daily.

I hope you can find a safe foster home for him before it's too late.

Please, people, please, spay and neuter your pets!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
mgt
Newborn

I wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate all of your help, I have some GREAT news!!! Little Maine Coon found a forever home today!!!!!! He found a home with a relative of a rescue worker, so there will be updates and that will be great!!! Just wanted to share, stories don't always have happy endings unfortunately... BTW, I am going to edit and remove all of the contact info but if anyone has any questions you can PM me. Thanks again!!!
Unread 08-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
mgt
Newborn

KatrineA, thank you so much, you are so sweet!
Acerlt, thank you also, thank you for such great advice!! ;o)
Unread 08-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh my gosh!!! What fantastic news! Thanks for letting us know! Another prayer answered.
Unread 08-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

What a relief! I spent all night and morning thinking about this cat. Whew!
Unread 08-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Good I'm happy I agree with the poster about not adopting to free homes.

Yeah it seems like a few mess it up for all, Pit bulls,You tube, ect,ect. I've had good experiences with You tube but then again I don't go looking for trouble I only visit the clean sites

Like Disney movies, Edible plants pathfinder,nature shows, Movies, ect.

A few years ago I had had the pleasure of seeing an absolutely massive Pit bull that was around two little kids, like five some years old, the pit was intact and as nice as a lab... go figure.

Tags
adoption , advice , animal , cat , cats , clean , fiv , foster , found , free , fun , game , great , happy , hey , home , homes , infection , internet , maine coon , maine coon cat , male , mess , morning , movies , myspace , needs help , neuter , nice , night , rescue , shelter , sleep , spay , stories , upper respiratory , urgent , vet , videos , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links