It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Carl is on a distinguished road
Default Young cat in Lancaster Ca. area needs home urgently

Hi,

My friend, who lives in Lancaster, has moved in with an old lady suffering from Parkinson’s disease, in order to take care of her. Unfortunately the lady is allergic to cats and will not permit my friend to bring her cat, Rosie. Could anyone possibly take Rosie in? If there is absolutely no possibility of this could anyone give me advice on the options available to my friend in order that we can prevent Rosie from being euthanized? Your assistance would be very much appreciated.

Carl
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

There are ways to keep Rosie away from the woman. And there are ways to keep the dander to a minimum. I can help with that. Perhaps your friend can first see if a compromise can be arranged.

Carl, a lot depends on how old Rosie is. If she is an elderly cat, the kindest thing to do is to have her put to sleep. Older cats have a very hard time adjusting to living with someone new. Rosie is likely to die of a broken heart, euthanasia in her person's arms is much the better choice.

if she is a young cat, I guess your friend will have to find a rescue or shelter to take her. There they will do the backround checks and all, and charge an adoption fee, to be sure Rosie is not going to a sicko cat abuser, or a laboratory to be a test animal.

It is not a good idea to advertise a cat free to good home because sick people and laboratories get cats that way.

I don't know your friend's circumstances, but if it were me, I'd be looking for another job, rather than give up my cat. Tell the woman to find someone else to help her. grrr.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

I get the feeling the old lady is not open to negotiating this one. I think your are being far too sweeping in your view that older cats should be put to sleep rather than re-homed. I'm sure many older cats can readjust to a loving new owner. I know that an old cat which I minded several years ago seemed very at ease staying with me. I understand that your concern is for the welfare of such cats, but I am much more in favour of an attitude that would see a cat given a shot at life rather than one that would have its existence terminated, banished from life, on the presumtion that the cat would prefer that. Anyway...I'll keep emailing rescue centres for the time being.

"I don't know your friend's circumstances, but if it were me, I'd be looking for another job, rather than give up my cat. Tell the woman to find someone else to help her. grrr." I have a lot of sympathy with such sentiments.
Unread 09-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Sorry I forgot to say that Rosie is in fact about 2 years old.
Unread 09-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Just advising what I would do, Carl. I know my opinion is not the norm. but I would chose euthanasia over rehoming my cats. I have promised them they will never have to live without me. If I weren't alone, meaning, if there was someone else they were also bonded to, or if I had a family member whom they were close with, I might feel differently. But I am their whole world.

I feel every one of these kinds of posts. Every time someone comes on here looking for a "good home" for a cat my heart breaks a little. I can't help but take it in a personal way and think of what my cats would feel, if I gave them to strangers. It will never happen.

I do hope a good safe home can be found for Rosie. And that she can adjust. It's very difficult to rehome adult cats. But I hope you can find someone to love her.

Unread 09-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Sorry I forgot to say that Rosie is in fact about 2 years old.
I agree with you that a 2 year old cat, if she is of an easy temperament, could probably adjust, if the right home can be found. But please, charge an adoption fee. Most sickos won't pay for a cat. There are plenty already being given away for "free to good home"/
Unread 09-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I hadn't concieved of people seeking to purchase pets for animal experimentation.

Tags
adoption , adult , advice , allergic , animal , assistance , care , cat , cats , drawing , elderly , family , found , free , hey , home , love , loving , needs home , opinion , person , rescue , shelter , sleep , test

Sponsored Cat Links