It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-23-2009   #21 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

True about the geographical location Maya.
Still it is too near to the problem region -- Mid. East region. Afghanistan is right next to Iran and Pakistan. One of the stan countries (besides the 5 stans - Kyrgystan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan ... ). The problem is, Iran is also an --an country if not stan country. And there's war going on there in that area, specifically in Afghanistan, it's the war against the Taliban (whenever I watch the news I was thinking about Britty). Just impossible to say whatever happened in that region has nothing to do with the Mid. East...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-23-2009   #22 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Amazing, I just sent this post, and read Britty's post ... hope you understand now, this is true... hard to separate the country with the "problem" region.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-23-2009   #23 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I'm referring to the geographic location, Irene & NOT their struggles & wars.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-23-2009   #24 (permalink)
britty3189

I guess here in the US we just see things a bit differently. I would say a good majority of Americans wouldn't know that Afghanistan and Pakistan were not officially part of the Middle East.

Part of it is Bush and his terminology of the "Greater Middle East" which basically refers to Afghanistan and Pakistan. So, when most people here talk about the "Conflicts in the Middle East" they are talking about our affairs in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unread 05-23-2009   #25 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The terminology of the "Greater Middle East" is interesting though. So next time we can say that to reduce confussion

Unread 05-23-2009   #26 (permalink)
britty3189

Yes, I'm not sure why Bush and his administration created the term of The Greater Middle East, except maybe for ease of discussing our affairs within that world region. Plus, Bush was famous for creating terms of his own, whether those words were real words or not

I do know that it has been adopted by many people, and so this is why many feel that Afghanistan and Pakistan are part of the Middle East, rather than just classified as Asian countries.

Unread 05-23-2009   #27 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I think the terminology is created politically not geographically.
It's true that many conflicts in that region are Mid. East related, like more and more terrorists are sent from/to or trained in that "Asian" region (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran). Or those countries are becoming more and more like terrorist base. Oh, I suddenly remember that Middle East region itself IS in Asia, NOT in Europe, or other continents. The terminology of Middle East itself already sounds political. And it has something to do with ancient mapping too... like Mesopotamia region, that would include Iraq & Iran too... and the 4 rivers ... that would include Europe too... This is really interesting !

Last edited by Irene Jims; 05-23-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Unread 05-23-2009   #28 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Middle East is a geopolitical term rather than a geographical term truthfully.

Middle East
–noun 1. Also called Mideast. (loosely) the area from Libya E to Afghanistan, usually including Egypt, Sudan, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and the other countries of the Arabian peninsula.
2. (formerly) the area including Iran, Afghanistan, India, Tibet, and Burma.

Related forms:
Middle Eastern, adjective, noun
Middle Easterner, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

I'd point out a lot of people think of Russia as a European nation, however it's an Asian nation if you ever choose to look at a continental map. Barring a small fraction of it.
Unread 05-23-2009   #29 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by britty3189 View Post
Plus, Bush was famous for creating terms of his own, whether those words were real words or not
"I am the decider" is one of my favorites.
Unread 05-23-2009   #30 (permalink)
britty3189

Oh I've met tons of people that believe Russia is a part of Europe. It's hard telling them that no, it's part of Asia, and then they don't believe you.

And I've got a lot of favorite Bushisms. It's so hard to choose just one! I am the decider is pretty amusing though.

Tags
adopted , angry , animal , art , belly , boy , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , children , color , crazy , cut , eating , eyes , favorites , female , fight , fighting , fights , free , friends , fun , funny , game , girl , great , growth , healthy , hey , home , hurt , interesting , joy , lazy , love , lovers , mess , mistake , obama , opinion , personality , problems , sad , scary , sick , silly , small , smart , stories , story , travel , trend , turkey , upset , worry

Sponsored Cat Links