It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Confused
ImissmyGeorge is on a distinguished road
Default My life without George

On 3rd September 2009 my life was turned completely upside down with the death of my beautiful handsome blue eyed angel. George was a lilac-point British Shorthair and my absolute soul mate. People keep telling me the pain eases, and, whilst I've now begun to adapt my life without George, the pain is still there. In spite of the fact George was not the first animal I've ever lost, he was my everything. That's not to say I've not loved all our other animals, but George was with me the day I left home for the first time, when my beautiful blue-point Persian Oliver died, kept by my side when Dad died and really saw me through some hugely difficult times in my life. As I typed this tears stream down my face, for I blame myself that George is no longer here. Over 12 months before I lost him, a Vet, whom I trusted for over a decade told me George had the beginnings of renal failure and put him on Fortekur medication which George took as good as gold. About 8 weeks before I lost him, I noticed he was drinking stacks, losing weight and being picky with his eating habits, and my cobby chunky boy was looking under the weather, so, I was back and forth to the Vets who really didn't offer me any help and in fact, the final straw came when one of the female vets (a relatively new one) told me I would just "have to watch him fade now, his time on this earth was fading and to make the most of him". I was frantic and furious, so I took him to a new Vet, who was fantastic. However upon examination said for his age George's kidney's were ok, but he found a lump. Fearing the worse the Vet examined him and diagnosed a liver tumour. This new Vet said I'd done George no harm with the Fortekur but I was in sobbing fits in his Surgery and begged him to save my boy. The Vet remarked how glossy and beautiful George's coat was and what wonderful handsome lad he was and said the decision I had was to 'try'. I literally begged the Vet to "please return my boy to me" and he said he would do his level best. Inside me, on the day I took George to the Vet, even though he was happily playing and purring I knew he wouldn't be coming home, so I followed him around with my camcorder. When I left George at the Vet, I once again begged the Vet to keep him safe. The Vet must have thought I'd completely lost the plot. I even offered (even though I'm not wealth by any stretch) to double the Vet's bill if it meant bringing my little man home. George went through the whole operation and the Vet removed the rather larger tumour (larger than he expected) but he died coming out of the anaesthetic. My baby wanted to come back to me, but obviously his little body couldn't take any more.

George was my world and aside from the affect his death has had on my health, I only wish I could really believe he knew how much I loved him. I adored him. George was lead trained, car trained, and just THE most gentle giant. He had friends in the TV world, even my postlady was in tears when she heard the news he'd passed on.

Friends have said I must give all my love to a new kitten, but I can't, I simply cannot betray my George again.

This is the first time in 39 years (my whole life) I've been without a 'four legged' friend, but I don't believe I could ever be as 'in tune' with another animal and I don't want to put my grief on small furry shoulders because I don't think it fair.

I would be most interested in your thoughts, and am glad to have found this cat dedicated forum.

One day George, you and I will meet again, and my darling boy I am SO deeply deeply sorry.

xx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-07-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome to the site, I'm sorry it's in such sad circumstances

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your little George, our furkids come into our lives and give us such love and joy - and every now and again there is one that is extra special

Please don't blame yourself for what happened - you did all you could and more to try and give him the best life he could have.

He sounds like a very special cat and I understand your grief all too well. You need time to come to terms with the loss and get to the time in your life when you will think about him with a smile about the things he did instead of with tears. Believe me that time will come at some point.

You sound like you have a lot to give to another kitty, and you will know when you feel able. You won't be betraying George or his memory, just extending that love to one who needs it.

RIP sweet angel George - happy and healthy at the Bridge with lots of new friends xx

It would be lovely if you can share some pics of George, I and I'm sure the others would love to see him

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-07-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

Hi there

Thank you so much for your lovely reply and you're right, George was 'extra extra special'. Few cats would walk into a Vet, and go nose-to-nose with a Newfoundland sized dog without flinching. He did and then simply settled down at the side of this strange giant (gorgeous looking dog) and went to sleep. Neither the Vet nurses, nor the owner of the dog could believe it. To George the world was his to show off in. For a cat, he was big, but then BSH's are supposed to be. He was also long. Full stretch he went across a single bed. My big beautiful teddy bear of a cat.

I can already look back at all the wonderful times we had together and laugh, for that is his legacy. He did so much to warrant it. However, wherever I was he HAD to be. I was his and he ensured everyone knew it! Even people who came into my house proporting not to be cat lovers, walked out saying "I want a George!". I burst with pride every time I think of him.

I would love to share some photos but being new to the forum am not sure how.

Thank you so much again for your kind thoughtful words

xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
Hello, and welcome to the site, I'm sorry it's in such sad circumstances

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your little George, our furkids come into our lives and give us such love and joy - and every now and again there is one that is extra special

Please don't blame yourself for what happened - you did all you could and more to try and give him the best life he could have.

He sounds like a very special cat and I understand your grief all too well. You need time to come to terms with the loss and get to the time in your life when you will think about him with a smile about the things he did instead of with tears. Believe me that time will come at some point.

You sound like you have a lot to give to another kitty, and you will know when you feel able. You won't be betraying George or his memory, just extending that love to one who needs it.

RIP sweet angel George - happy and healthy at the Bridge with lots of new friends xx

It would be lovely if you can share some pics of George, I and I'm sure the others would love to see him
Unread 03-07-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

That is a funny story - he sounds like he was fearless and really attention grabbing (in a good way!) my two would run and hide

It's easy to post pics - just go to the bottom of your thread and click on "manage attachments" you can then browse your pictures and upload them to the thread. Or - you can create albums in your profile and post them there.

Look forward to seeing Gorgeous George

Unread 03-07-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

Quote:
That is a funny story - he sounds like he was fearless and really attention grabbing (in a good way!) my two would run and hide

It's easy to post pics - just go to the bottom of your thread and click on "manage attachments" you can then browse your pictures and upload them to the thread. Or - you can create albums in your profile and post them there.

I think I'm being particularly thick but I cannot find anywhere that says 'manage attachments'??

Quote:

See if this works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George 'full stretch'.JPG (69.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Paws Crossed!.jpg (91.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg George Aug Bank Hol 2008 (2).jpg (89.3 KB, 5 views)
Unread 03-07-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissmyGeorge View Post
I think I'm being particularly thick but I cannot find anywhere that says 'manage attachments'??

See if this works!
Oh, what a lovely boy!! George really was stunning, you must have been very proud I love the way he crosses his paws - my Pixie does just the same thing!

Unread 03-07-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, what a lovely boy!! George really was stunning, you must have been very proud I love the way he crosses his paws - my Pixie does just the same thing!

VERY proud indeed! I still am. As stunningly beautiful on the inside as he was on the outside, which is something you can't say about a lot of humans I know! He always crossed his paws. Some people thought he looked a bit haughty - but what he looked was regal! He knew he was a handsome boy and loved everyone to tell him so. Plus he was a real chatterbox and it's his talking I miss. Perhaps now you can see why I'm struggling. I think for me to take on another kitten would be placing an awful lot onto tiny furry shoulders.

Thanks so much for your kind words today. It's been my pleasure to share some pics of George with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do I have your attention!.jpg (96.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg George on his blankie 1.jpg (86.1 KB, 3 views)
Unread 03-08-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

childofthesea is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry that you lost your George, but please, don't blame yourself. It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to help him, and he was lucky to have had such a loving, protective mother. It sounds like he loved you with all of his heart, and I am sure he knew how much you loved him. Please don't beat yourself up. Sometimes there is just nothing we can do, and it hurts horribly.

Maybe now is not the right time to get a new baby while you are still struggling with your grief, but one day you will feel stronger, and you will be able to give another cat the wonderful home and love that you gave to George. It just takes time to heal. Like smithy said, you obviously have a big heart for kitties, and it would be a shame to keep all that love inside.

By the way, I love your pictures of George. He was a beautiful boy! What a sweet face. And I firmly believe that our pets have souls, and that you will see George's pretty face again one day.
Unread 03-08-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

What a lovely message, thank you SO much

George did indeed love me with all of his heart, and I do think, and truly believe he knew how much I loved him. I don't think any cat would latch themselves onto a human like he did with me, if he hadn't have felt that way. Cats, in my opinion are FAR more intelligent than people! You're right about the hurt though. My fear about getting a new baby, is because I'm scared, and that's being very honest. I'm scared that if I have a new baby to focus on, George will think I no longer love him, for I know he is watching me, I have heard him on several occasions, and, moreover, a friend of mine who was staying with me back in November, came in to me with tears down his face saying he had seen George sitting washing himself. For a grown man to behave like that, and someone who only saw George occasionally says something about how much his soul is still here. George had a unique 'meow', he never 'meowed' once, but always a 'meow meow'. Also, and you're going to think this odd, but twice now I've had strange cats 'appear' either in my garden or on my doorstep. One of which was black and I'd never seen before. People have said it's George trying to tell me something, but I'm sure they're just sick of my bawling!!!

Thank you also for your lovely remarks about George's photos, indeed he was beautiful, and I remain so very proud of my special little boy.

I too believe I will see George, along with Oliver (my Persian), Spangles and Sherry (out two tortie girls), Lady, Benji, Penny, Jenny, and Charlotte our dogs, Smokey, Lucky, Pepsi, Pipkin and Sooty our rabbits, Judy and Sootie our hamsters and Saffron our Jird again! Now you see how many animals in my lifetime I have had, yet George's passing is ripping me inside out. Anyone would think I'd never lost an animal before. I think George was mine though from the minute I left home and has been a constant companion which is what is making it harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofthesea View Post
I am so sorry that you lost your George, but please, don't blame yourself. It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to help him, and he was lucky to have had such a loving, protective mother. It sounds like he loved you with all of his heart, and I am sure he knew how much you loved him. Please don't beat yourself up. Sometimes there is just nothing we can do, and it hurts horribly.

Maybe now is not the right time to get a new baby while you are still struggling with your grief, but one day you will feel stronger, and you will be able to give another cat the wonderful home and love that you gave to George. It just takes time to heal. Like smithy said, you obviously have a big heart for kitties, and it would be a shame to keep all that love inside.

By the way, I love your pictures of George. He was a beautiful boy! What a sweet face. And I firmly believe that our pets have souls, and that you will see George's pretty face again one day.
Unread 03-08-2010   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi sweetheart, first of all welcome to the forum.
I am so sorry for your loss. George was such a stunner.
It is very hard to lose your beloved pet. Most of us have gone through it on here.
I myself lost my Harley a year ago last month. It just tears you up, I know.

As for getting a new kitten, you will know when the time is right for that. Don't rush, some say it does help. It takes the sting out of all the pain you are going through.

Just remember that George had a fabulous life with you, remember all the good times.

R. I. P. George, now an angel for sure.

As close as a whisker and remembered with every heartbeat.

I'm Cheryl by the way, what is your name? xxxxx

Tags
age , animal , another cat , baby , beautiful , black , boy , british , car , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , changed , dog , eating , female , found , friends , funny , george's , happy , health , healthy , home , house , hurt , joy , kitten , kitty , loss , lost , love , new kitten , opinion , persian , photos , playing , profile , raw , sad , save , scared , shorthair , small , story , surgery , thoughts , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links