It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

childofthesea is on a distinguished road
Default Feeling very sad tonight...

I talked to my mom on the phone tonight. I live two thousand miles away from my family, and though I am happily married, I miss my family very much sometimes. One of my favorite relatives is my great-uncle who is 75. He has never been married, lives alone, and is a very sweet, funny, and quiet man. When I visited at Christmas, he told me that he had a cat, but that it was old and "on its last leg". When he was talking about it, he looked sad and changed the subject. Well, tonight my mom told me that he had to put his cat to sleep last week, and he did not take it well.

He was able to have a vet come to his house so that the cat would not be stressed at an office, which I thought was so thoughtful and kind of him to do for the poor cat. Apparently his kitty had kidney problems and was suffering badly at the end. My mom said that he cried and cried over the loss of his cat.

Tonight I am just feeling so sad for him. As I said, he lives alone and spends most all of his time alone. He is an old man, and his cat was his only companion. I keep thinking about how brokenhearted he must feel, and how hard it must have been for him to do what he did. It is so sad when a senior citizen loses a pet, because sometimes the pet is all they have. It is equally as sad when a pet loses its owner to old age or illness, and the only person that animal loves is no longer there.

I guess tonight I am hoping that his poor cat is in a happier place now where there is no pain and suffering, and where he can run free and play. And I pray for my great-uncle that he will be able to move on, and maybe find it in his heart to take in an unwanted cat who would love to be his companion. My mom told me that he said he would never get another one, though, because it is too painful to lose a pet.

I love my own cats like they were my kids, and I know the pain of losing a pet. They are God's greatest gifts to mankind, but because they are, it is so painful to give them back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

OmYogaK is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am really sorry about your great grand uncle's cat. Reading your story made me cry. I am also away from my family ( 11 hrs flight from where I live) and over the years, my only family in here are my beloved husband and two cats. People often think I don't have family but cats are my family. They love me with no condition and I love them without any expectation. I hope your great grand uncle find a peace. Making a grave for your pets also helps for some people - so you can visit & talk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-09-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear about your great-uncle and the loss of his dear friend. Although his kitty is in a better place now having suffered at the end it is so sad for those left behind, especially when they live alone. I do hope that he is able to come to terms with it in time.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 03-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Oh no, poor thing. I am so sorry. My heart goes out to him, and you too.

Kitty is definitely in a better place dear, free from pain, and playing with all our lost pets at Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs across the ocean from me and my fluffy kids. xxxxx
Unread 03-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Jane Phillips is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry to read about your uncle and the loss of his best buddy. I also have had to say goodbye to my 2 buddies, each 20 years old. I decided I would not have any more pets. How could I replace them? Well, I found out that I couldn't replace them. They will always hold a special place in my heart. (Right now, I know they're up at the Rainbow Bridge healthy and happy and playing with your uncle's buddy.) I went on with my life, still determined not to bring any more pets into my home. But, after awhile, I noticed how hard it was to come home every night to an empty house. I, too, live alone. But, I'm unemployed so felt I couldn't afford any pets. Then, one day, my cousin called. She volunteers at a no-kill shelter. "You just have to come over and see these two adorable kittens that someone abandoned at our door". So, I went over with my mind made up that there was NO way I was going home with more cats. Then, it happened. I saw them. They made me fall in love with them. So, home we all went. Looking back at all of this has made me realize that those cats came into my life at just the right time. If they had come any earlier, I probably wouldn't have even gone over to see them. My whole point to this is to give your uncle time to grieve. It may take him awhile but when he's ready for another pet, he'll know it--and that pet will find him. It will be wonderful, I promise.

Tags
age , animal , cat , cats , changed , christmas , family , found , free , fun , funny , gifts , great , hey , home , house , kittens , kitty , loss , lost , night , no-kill , person , pet , play , playing , problems , sad , senior , shelter , sleep , story , vet

Sponsored Cat Links