It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

RatBoy is on a distinguished road
Default I hope she understood...

Goodbye to Nicole (Nicky, Nickers, Li'l Nicks). We sent her on her way on February 17.

Back in the fall of 2008, she was diagnosed with an aggressive malignancy between her shoulder blades. We had surgery performed at the University of Illinois, and it appeared to be successful. She looked a mess afterward - they had to cut away parts of seven vertebrae and both shoulderblades to try to get a "margin" around the tumor. Had thirty-six staples in her back - the incision was something like 9" long. Poor thing.

During follow-up visits there and with our local vet, though, it became apparent that her bone marrow was failing - possibly due to the two doses of chemo we gave her to make sure that ALL of the cancer was gone, possibly not. We'll never know.

We tried and tried via supplements, shots, etc... to bring her blood counts back up, but in the end she was very anemic and the decision made itself.

I hope she understood somehow that all of the fussing over the last year-and-a-half of her life was our attempt at giving her as much quality life as we could affort to give her. She was a trooper, and we tried so hard to balance treatment with allowing her to live unfettered...

She was 17; I miss her greatly. We didn't have that great a relationship, but grew much closer in the time after her surgery.

The silver lining in the ordeal was that I started back on antidepressants about a month after we let her go. The one I'm on now seems to be working somewhat, after many years of fruitless efforts.

Goodbye, little girl...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-28-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

I'm so sorry for your loss. Doesn't matter how close you guys seemed to be, animals always know who cares about them, and I do believe that she knows you were only trying to help her through that last year. Regardless of your beliefs, you took care of her, housed her, fed her, she loved you, I know she did. She's crossed the rainbow bridge, and she'll be there waiting for you Best wishes xoxo

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-28-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, C&G - we did our best, I know. Our animals sure help the spirit. I hope we helped hers, as well. Most times I'm good with this, but on rare occasions I second-guess some of those decisions.

Mt. Vernon, IL? I'm in Cahokia...
Unread 07-28-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry about your beloved kitty. I, too, suffer from depression and at times have been on antidepressants. I find that my two beautiful furbabies give me so much happiness and peace and put a smile on my face when I'm feeling blah". When the time is right, and you will know when that is, you may want to rescue another kitty who is just waiting to give someone unconditional love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-29-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, AuntKitty. I don't see that time coming soon, but am open to whatever the future brings.

Take care!
Unread 07-29-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

I'm in Mt. Vernon Maryland

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain

Tags
adorable , aggressive , beautiful , care , cat , cut , girl , happy , hey , kitten , kitty , links , loss , mat , mess , moments , picture , rare , rescue , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links