It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ChocolateCat is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Copper, Feather, Stockings, Cherry and Pebble will walk with me forever...

Hi.

Copper was a longhaired beautiful tuxedo cat her eyes were the color of bright copper. Her eyes shocked me so much that that's what I decided to name her.

She certainly has a story to tell. I feel obliged, as if she wants this.

Across the street form my house is an old tumbledown barn. No one lives there, only used for things like old furniture and wheelchairs by the guy who owns it. His 50-something daughter lives next door, started feeding cats and now 40 or something stray cats live there. Probably more because there are kittens.

I saw Copper first as a kitten. All of the barn cats run away from anyone and everyone, except for the woman feeding them. She grew up at the barn, and then, she trekked across the street to my huge backyard, where a big pile of wood sat, making a perfect cat home.

When I was on a trip for school, my parents watched and took pictures as Copper and her newborn kittens played and tumbled and explored. They looked nothing like her, all gray and white except one, who's just gray. Copper was very protective of them.

When I returned and tried to pet her, her kittens eyes grew larger (huge amber eyes, guess it's a family thing) and they ran under the pile of wood, where they could navigate to a crack in the fence. Escape route! It happened to be the guy who owns the barns house, her daughter would often visit and feed them.

Copper would jump the fence in a magnificent leap and wait for them on the other side. I would sigh.

Sometimes, when her kittens ate, instead of jumping the fece she would hide under my deck. I could still see her face peeking out. I would get on my hands and knees and coax her out. Well, I tried. When I edged closer, shed take off.

After a month of running, I finally got her to let me run my hand dons her long fur. She was a very lovable cat. When you gained her trust, she would rub you and purr. She only ran away if you stood up or made a sudden movement. Only once she hissed at me when I accidentally touched her underside.

After that, I came and pet her until I saw the kittens venture out.copper tried to convince them to meet me but they kept their distance.

Once I got to hold Feather, one of the kittens. She was in the barn owners daughters bathroom, she was taking care of him. His eyed betraYed fear, I don't think they trusted anyone but their mother.

Soon someone took the woodpiles away. The daughter caught Copper and the kittens and they took them to the animal shelter. Big mistake. They said that the kittens were too old and feral to ever be pets. They put down Copper and all of her kittens, right after she had started to trust.

She wasn't mine but I feel her loss like a thorn.

Copper, wherever you are, you won't be forgotten.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

What a beautiful story, yet very sad. Why did the daughter suddenly decide to catch them after feeding so many others? Poor Copper and her kittens

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-14-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

ChocolateCat is on a distinguished road

I'm not really sure. I wish she would've just let them be.

Tags
animal , beautiful , care , cat , cats , color , eyes , family , feral , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , jumping , kittens , loss , mistake , newborn , pet , pictures , sad , shelter , story , stray , tuxedo cat

Sponsored Cat Links