It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-15-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

WiggyH is on a distinguished road
Default Misty - Feeling guilt over Cats death.

Yesterday we lost our beautiful loving Persian blue cat of 15 years Misty and i am beating myself up over a decision we emotionally made that wracks me
with the thought i may have let her down right at the end.

Up until a few days ago Misty had been her usual self,eating and drinking,mooching around the house and garden,giving out bundles of affection like she always did,sidling up whenever she heard the fridge door open and clambering onto my bed at night to settle down on the pillow beside me. She seemed fine. Then suddenly she began peeing outside of her litter tray. We had recently bought a new tray so figured it may be this simple change that was bothering her but after a few days and her showing growing signs of distress we took her to the vets where,after various tests we got the devastating news that she had PKD,poly cystic kidney disease,a gene condition apparently prevalent in Persian cats and ultimately fatal.

I can't express enough how much Misty meant to us all and especially me. She was my companion,my little Misty moo and most of all my friend and we reluctantly but thoughtfully made the decision to put her to sleep. It was an awful thing to have to face and the hardest decision we've ever made but deep down we knew it was the right thing to do. She was incurable,she would of gotten worse and she would of been in pain. None of these things any of us wanted.

Now i'm figuring guilt is a natural human trait in times like these. Did we do all we could for her,did we care for her enough during her life? Why didn't we do this,or do that? All these things are normal surely? But some of these worries and thoughts are really nagging at me.

For instance the vet told us Misty had signs of weight loss and a bloated abdomen,things we just didn't spot or thought of as a danger to her. She seemed happy and content and even when someone may have occasionally said 'Misty's got a bit of a podge hasn't she' or 'she looks like she's lost a little weight' we never related it to something we thought of as necessary to get her to the vet. She was a big fluffy Persian and at 15 getting on a bit and none of these things made us worried for her. If they had we would of got her treated pronto.

The thing that is really hurting tho is at the very end.

In the vets surgery seeing Misty not well and all of us confused and emotional we opted not to see her finally go. We had visions of the pain of injection,the reality of having to watch her die and i guess it was all too much but it is my deepest regret that i didn't hold out and be with her. We had all already said our goodbyes and kissed her goodnight just before but after it was too late it hit me hard that i should of been there with her. To comfort her and kiss her one last time as she went. Instead i was left feeling she had died in a strangers arms and not mine. She had always been with me and i feel i let her down when she needed me most. Maybe i'm being too hard on myself,maybe she went feeling we'd already said goodbye to one another,maybe she felt safe in the care of the vets. I'm hoping so. Knowing Misty and the way she gave hugs and affection to each and all she would of been at ease just as well with the vet and i'm sure she knew we all loved her very much but i just can't help feeling this way. It's heartbreaking.

Two things though have brought some much needed consolation to me since we buried her today in the garden she loved to sit and play in. One is that we found out her longevity from what is potentially a gene disease that usually strikes between the ages of 3 and 10 seems to be down to a great diet. She has constantly had fish everyday from the time she had a problem with crystal formation in her urine early on in her life. From then on we changed her diet and from reading about PKD it seems to have been a big factor in her reaching 15,almost 16 years old. I have my Dad to thank for this,thankyou Popsk! Maybe this is something that may also be of help to other Persian owners.

The second is how well Misty was groomed and presented when we picked her up to take home. It meant so much to us to see her all combed and clean and made what we thought was going to be such a hard day all that much easier. She looked so peaceful,just like she was sleeping..like she always did. For this i thank the vets.

Misty has gone now,she's asleep in her garden where i can say goodnight to her and she's at peace and,although i know i shouldn't keep beating myself up on those final moments it's a nagging guilt that i don't know will ever go,but wanted to share.

R.I.P Misty,love you lots,never forgotten x

Last edited by WiggyH; 10-15-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your beloved Misty, it's something that we all have to endure eventually.

However from what you have said you did all you could for her throughout her life. If she was acting normally there was no reason for you to pick up on symptoms only an expert would spot, so do not beat yourself up about that.

And as for not being there at the very end, well, I had to take the decision to have my lovely Ben put to sleep a few years ago at the age of 19 1/2, I had the vet to the house. I gave him last one big cuddle and had to go into another room because I couldn't bear to see him go. He knew how much I loved him and I figured that he was saying thank you mummy because he was going off to the Bridge to be happy and healthy again.

Your guilt is natural, but not necessary, honestly. Like Ben, Misty will have known how loved she was by you.

RIP Misty, another little Angel at the Bridge xxx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-21-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

WiggyH is on a distinguished road

It's been a week today since we said goodbye to Misty and reading the posts and comments on here,as well as the time i've had to think things over have helped a lot. Thanks very much. I spent some time today at her grave and re-said my bye's to her and i am a lot more at ease now. Always love her,always remember her.

God bless Misty-moo x
Unread 12-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

lucky cat is on a distinguished road

aww sorry for your loss i my self have lost over 20 cats over the years im a majer cat lover never easey to say good bye this one cat i had was named kitty came very acttached to him i felt giulty when we ran him over by accent pulling out of our drive way i felt bad couse i didnt move him from under the car but he usuly ran whenthe car started up i feel your loss ive lost lots of cats and its always a shock to me its hard to say its time beleave me hes thanking u for your ove u gave him
Unread 12-28-2010   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear of the loss of your precious Misty. Don't beat yourself up--I know it's easy for me to say. But you did everything for her that you could. And you did not let her suffer. She had love and happiness her whole life and had no pain or suffering. You got to say your goodbyes. Whether you said your goodbyes then, or a minute later, she still knows you loved her, and now she can play and be healthy and watch over you until you meet again. My goodness, I'm crying like you wouldn't believe right now!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
age , beautiful , bloated , car , care , cat , cats , changed , clean , crying , diet , fish , found , great , happy , hey , home , house , litter , loss , lost , love , loving , moments , natural , night , peeing , persian , play , problem , sleep , sleeping , surgery , thoughts , urine , weight

Sponsored Cat Links