It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

kaybritches100 is on a distinguished road
Default Lost my 17 yr. old kitty Hissie

This past Thursday Oct. 21, 2010, my husband and I had to take our beloved 17 yr. old Hissie to the vet and have her put to sleep. We knew it had been coming. But, knowing it is coming and then having the reality of it happen, well it has been a very difficult few days. The day after we put our girl to sleep, I spent all day in bed and was very quiet. Most unusual for me. Then, I get up tonight and can't stop crying. Did we do the right thing? Sure we did. But, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

Hiss had intestional surgery at 15. And never totally bounced back. I spent 1 yr. and 9 mths. nursing my old girl. Hundreds of doses of stool softener. She would become constipated so fast. Many doses of Pedialyte. Cleaning up so many piles of vomit off the carpet. But, I never complained. She was my baby and I would do it all over again. But, don't get me wrong, Hiss would have months of feeling good.

She was a very special cat. I am 53 and a huge cat lover. But, Hissie was the love of my 53 yrs. She was so vocal. Not just meows either. Just these different sounds she would make. And she would follow me everywhere I went in the house. And very intelligent. I taught her some tricks even. I looked it up on the net and I do believe she was a Turkish Van. Auburn and white. Vets never could tell me what she was. But, I knew. Hiss though was scared of most people. I found her abandoned in a parking lot when she was 11. Once I earned her trust, she was my constant little companion.

We buried her on my daughter's farm. Right at the edge of the woods. I wrapped her in her favorite blanket. My husband told me not to because he was afraid I would freak out. But, I opened up her blanket, while she was in her grave and made certain her little paws, head etc were lying in a comfortable position. Maybe it was silly, but I had to know my girl was ok one last time.

My daughter came here to our house after we put her to sleep and buried her. Got rid of her litterbox and hid certain things that would upset me. Which was so sweet of my daughter. We kept Hissie with a little bed in our bedroom walk-in closet. So, she would feel safe when people came over. Now, that has all been cleaned out and the closet door shut. It is like she was never here. But yet, I feel like I should look up and see her standing there. I know she is in my heart. Always will be. I have never had to put to sleep a beloved pet until Hissie. But my new friends on here, I was so scared it would be an awful experience. Maybe it is according to what vet you choose. But, the vet we took Hissie to did it with compassion for Hissie and for us. It was most peaceful and painless.

I do believe in the Rainbow Bridge. Have read that beautiful poem a number of times. Now, Hissie is running, playing, no longer afraid and no longer sick and suffering. I love you so very much, Hissie. Momma will never ever stop loving you. I am very sad right now and missing you. But, I will be ok.

We also have another kitty that is 4 and named Paradise. My grandson came up with that name...lol. Paradise did belong to my grandson. But, accidentally got out the door one day. A neighbor intentionally shot this poor little cat. My daughter and her husband rushed Paradise to the vet. The vet did an amazing job with Paradise. Paradise though did lose an eye and partial hearing. After that, my daughter gave Paradise to me. I have had Paradise now 2 yrs. So, I still have another special kitty here to love. Just needed to talk about Hissie tonight. Thank you all so much for listening to this old woman. God bless you all and all the precious cats that are still with us and those that have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Oh, this has made me cry, what a beautiful tribute to your beloved Hissie.

I am sure you will find comfort with Paradise (what an evil neighbour you have) knowing that Hissie is happy and healthy at the Bridge.

RIP Hissie, little angel now xx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-23-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Hissie. Her long happy life is a testament to the care you gave her. I know what it's like to lose a special needs kitty. It difficult any time, but when you nurse a kitty for so long you develop such an incredibly deep bond it's really like losing a part of your heart.

And there is all that empty time. All the time you spent caring for her and cleaning up after her. Suddenly none of that needs doing, so what do you do now?

When I lost my Ootay I continued to wake up at 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. to feed and medicate her, for months after. It also took months for me to lose the habit of mentally arranging my day around her care. I never could go away from home for more than 3 or four hours because she couldn't go any longer than that without food or other care from me.

I'm glad you have Paradise to offer you love and comfort as you grieve and mourn your Hissie.

I absolutely believe in the Rainbow Bridge, or kittie heaven. I have five cats and one dog waiting for me there, so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

vijaysundaram7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Hissie. Her long happy life is a testament to the care you gave her. I know what it's like to lose a special needs kitty. It difficult any time, but when you nurse a kitty for so long you develop such an incredibly deep bond it's really like losing a part of your heart.

And there is all that empty time. All the time you spent caring for her and cleaning up after her. Suddenly none of that needs doing, so what do you do now?

When I lost my Ootay I continued to wake up at 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. to feed and medicate her, for months after. It also took months for me to lose the habit of mentally arranging my day around her care. I never could go away from home for more than 3 or four hours because she couldn't go any longer than that without food or other care from me.

I'm glad you have Paradise to offer you love and comfort as you grieve and mourn your Hissie.

I absolutely believe in the Rainbow Bridge, or kittie heaven. I have five cats and one dog waiting for me there, so far.
I know what it feels to loose a family member, I lost one yesterday. May "Hissie" rest in peace.

Last edited by AK49BWL; 10-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 10-23-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

WiggyH is on a distinguished road

God bless Hissie,i know only too well how you are feeling right now as we buried our beloved Misty last week after making the hard decision to put her to sleep (see post before). This point in time is the hardest but i will tell you things do get better. Remember the good times with your dear friend and never dwell on anything negative. We love our cats,our moggies,our little friends and all those great memories never go,ever.

Sweet dreams Hissie x

Last edited by WiggyH; 10-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Tags
amazing , baby , beautiful , care , carpet , cat , cats , cleaning , crying , eye , fast , found , friends , girl , happy , healthy , home , house , huge cat , hurt , kitty , litterbox , lost , loving , missing , playing , sad , scared , sick , silly , sleep , stop , surgery , tribute , tricks , upset , vet , vocal , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links