It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-29-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Default 20 Year Old Ozzie

Wednesday night around 6PM, I got a call from a very good friend of mine who I met while volunteering at the shelter... Ozzie's owner. They were headed to the emergency vet because Ozzie seemed unable to move his entire back end... Completely paralyzed. No rear leg control, no tail movement. All was limp. The limbs were still alive and getting circulation, but he couldn't move them. The vet was unable to determine anything, so gave him some medications (I recall Steroids being in the list somewhere) and kept him overnight at the vet, hoping that it was a temporary thing and that he would get better. Thurs. morning, no improvement. This was when I decided, I had to go see him, and I got the invite to do so. A little side story here... This summer, I had stayed in the home with Ozzie and another cat for nearly two weeks, and more than that off and on throughout the year... So I know him very well. And I knew, this could very well be the last time I get the chance to see him, so I took the opportunity. So about 9:45 AM I get there, and he's just being loved on by my friend, followed by me loving on him... He looked and felt great, but he just wasn't able to move his hind legs or tail at all. Other than that, he's simply enjoying himself. Calls were made, and I was told that if he didn't recover at all, the most likely course of action was going to be to put him to sleep. Well, after over an hour with him, we left... Quite reluctantly I might add, lol. Fast forward to the same evening around 5:15. New call, and I headed back to the vet's to spend what ended up being his last hour with him and his owners. Ozzie hadn't recovered at all as far as moving ability, and it was determined that rather than make it so he has to try to live as a paraplegic (which would be VERY difficult as he's also got a bit of arthritis everywhere else), it would be better to let him go. He was surrounded by the people he loved the most throughout the ordeal, and left his world behind very peacefully at 5:55 PM, October 28th 2010... And if I'm not mistaken, he was purring until he was gone.

I made him a tribute video as well...
YouTube - Ozzie's Last Hours (An Ozzie Tribute)

You could tell he really liked me, and even his owners said the same.
YouTube - 19 Year Old Ozzie the Sweet
YouTube - Ozzie the Follower
YouTube - Sweet Old Buddy Ozzie

Not really sure what else to say at this point... He had a terrific life in a great home, and he was always happy for company. Now he's out there somewhere, enjoying himself, free of arthritis and able to really run again. Rest in peace, Ozzie... You will be greatly missed.

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-29-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry for the loss of your special kitty friend Ozzie, and please extend my heartfelt condolences to his human, too. 20 years, wow what a long life he has had, a testament to the excellent love and care he has received over all those years.

What a beautiful boy. He's in good company at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-30-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

What a beautiful cat. Tears are streaming down my face right now. I am so sorry for the loss of this beautiful cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-31-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
J.J. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to J.J.
Unhappy

Oh .. I am So sorry about your Ozzie.. I know what it feels like to lose a cat I lost three cats(and I miss them so much) .... but, don't worry. The pain won't last forever, I'm sure there will be other loving cats in your life.

Unread 11-01-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

It's a lovely tribute Brandon, I saw the vid on Facebook, it made me cry too, but he was with all those who loved him so dearly and went peacefully

RIP Ozzie

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 11-09-2010   #6 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

RIP Ozzie!

As Gail says, I'm sure he will love the bridge, and he will have had many friends which greeted him upon his arrival! He lived a long and what sounds like a wonderful life...

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Tags
another cat , beautiful , boy , care , cat , cats , color , facebook , fast , free , friends , great , happy , hey , home , kitty , loss , lost , love , loving , mistake , morning , moving , night , shelter , sleep , steroids , story , tribute , vet , video , worry , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links