It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mrorangeforever is on a distinguished road
Default Mr. Orange I loved him so much! I wonder if I did the right thing...

Hello Everyone and thanks for this forum.

I'm still grieving the loss of Mr. Orange our orange tabby that passed about a week ago. On top of all the pain of loss, I'm having some guilt and just terrible feelings about the fact we put him to rest because of some sort of paralyzing condition that fell on him. I would so appreciate any words of experience from other cat owners on this.

Basically, we found him with limp front legs in his favorite chair in our garage. He's an outdoor cat mostly from long back and it's something we unfortunately haven't been able to control in the cats we have saved/rescued. We took him in to an emergency vet and it was all very upsetting as they are so cold and expensive and I guess in these cases they aren't able to provide much answers or assurances. So we went there and long story short they gave him a shot of steroids. Miraculously, he started getting better but we didn't even know it was only a 24 hour thing. He got worse and eventually was just limp across his entire body except his face ((

OMG, it just haunts me because his face looked fine but he couldn't really eat/drink/potty so within a day or so we had him back to another vet and unfortunately we finally found a "good" vet after this happened. I just can't remember everything, but it seemed the vet we took him too wasn't very optimistic about everything and talked about hundreds/thousands in tests, etc. with no guarantee or even idea because he had no visible injuries , swelling, broken bones. etc. So, for whatever reasons we wound up putting him down ((( They sent a condolence card today and it just upset me all the more. His grave is in the backyard outside my bedroom window and I just hate it because I've never lost really anything before besides 2 parakeets a few years ago. I was really upset about them too, but they died and I didn't have to put them down.

So, anyway, I just can't get over this all because I loved him so much. Also, I don't know exactly what did this to him. I really hope it was just natural like a cancer or something but then I have these horrible thoughts about some neighbor being mean or hitting him and causing this deterioration or a car. Everywhere I ask about this nobody knows what to say, but I guess at this point I just want to know of others that have run into similar problems and what they did. Some tell me no matter what we did the right thing b/c even if we had the money he would have likely suffered a lot more and maybe wouldn't have gotten better. Oh I just don't know. It's so hard not knowing and not knowing if you really did the right thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

There are times that things happen that we never can understand. I turn 53 in just over a month and would have a hard time counting the number of animals that have died in my care. I have been rescuing cats, dogs and horses for over 30 years. Some of my cats are outside and most come in and out. With 15 cats they get very antsy if they are cooped up together for very long! We live in a pretty good harmony, as good as it gets with not enough territory to go around. Anyway, through the years a few have been hit by cars and a few have dissapeared. I live way out in the country but there is no way to get away from all cars and wild animals.
My point is, we do the best we can, within the limits of our human power. We do not have the power to escape all evils. I have taken in animals that would have died slow painful deaths. Even if I got them well and only added a couple of years, I know that those years were healthy ones filled with love! I know for a fact that for some of my "kids" the time spent with me was the only love they had ever known.
Mr. Orange knew he was loved, he had a safe place to go (with you) and he knew where there was food he didn't have to fight for. When he got sick you spared him from a painful, lingering death. Whatever the cause, it sounds neurological, illness or injury, a horribly terrifying thing for any animal. You gave him the greatest gift by not letting him suffer!
Please don't allow feelings of guilt to taint the memories of love. He would never want that! I do understand the feeling of "what if" and "if only" they don't do anybody any good!! Grieve for his loss, that is something you need to do because you loved him. Cry, scream do whatever you need to. But remember him with love not guilt.
Come here and let us help you with your pain. We understand and we care. If anyone tells you he was just a cat, feel sorry for them because they must not have ever known the pure love we get from "just a cat". It is their loss. We have been there and we do know how hard it is!!
You are in my prayers. If you aren't familiar with The Rainbow Bridge, read it.
((((((HUGS))))))from my heart to yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome. I'm so so sorry for your loss of your beloved Mr Orange. It's normal to torture yourself with what ifs, but the bottom line is Quality of Life. A cat who can't walk or eat or potty has no life. You gave him the final gift of love, freedom from suffering, a dignified exit.

But I know how much it hurts. It's agony for us who have to make that decision for them. We suffer, when we end their suffering.

Grieving and second guessing is normal, and it may hurt for a long time. There will come a day when you can think of your beloved boy and remember all the happiness you gave each other.

Stick around and tell us more about him if you want, or just to vent your grief.

Your with people who understand, here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--my sincere condolences on your beloved Mr. Orange. Unfortunately you probably will never know what caused his paralysis, but I hopr you can be comforted inknowing that you did everything possible for him, and that you did not let him suffer. Imagine being a paraplegic, only being able to move your head, how scarey it must be for a kitty. As hard a deciision as it was, please know that you did the right thing. It is so hard to lose a family member and, yes a cat IS a family member.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 04-02-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

thanks so much for the replies. It's just hard because he got better after the steroid shot and then got much worse faster. I've fought for health care reform in the past few years (HUMAN) so needless to say I mostly dislike the "veterinary business". I'm sorry, but the message was so clear when we brought him in. Pay or die or even pay to die. I just wanted a "hunch" , anything about what probably happened to him. I feel like I should I have just made my own decisions because they just tell you all the tests they would do and how much money it will cost making sure to tell you they haven't a CLUE as to what's wrong , if it will help, etc. It's all so terrible. I started a new job and now I'm driving past the first emergency clinic we took Mr. Orange to and the second .. all near my house (( Then I just lose it when I see them or the signs or anything. I just wish they could tell me like he had cancer or was injured so badly that recovery was unlikely and/or very expensive. Ya know? They won't even do that! They won't tell you anything. I don't understand the vets , except for the fact that it's about their business and their money and not about the poor animal dying in front of them.

I found a new vet from a friend on FB after my grieving. We took another cat there already that I had taken to one of these local vets many times for the same problem and paid for and did nothing for him! Now, he's actually getting better and I'm so happy about that. I just don't know why so many have to be so cold.

Well thanks again, and if anyone has had something like this happen, please share with me. Mr. Orange is gone now, so all I have is speculation and trying to figure out from other cat owners what might have gone wrong. I strongly suspect a very near miss car hit based on what happened and wish I had a clear enough head to figured that before but we were so upset and panicking. Then when he got better and got worse you don't know what to think you know? The thing I found about vets is worse than human doctors they just don't generally do much. I thought when we raced him to the emergency vet at 3am they would put like IV's on him like an ambulance. Well they don't. It's all kind of silly if you ask me and then they charge you like they did put the IV's on him
Unread 04-02-2011   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

How old was Mr. Orange, was he neutered, what history do you know about him??? Are there any other animals running around in your area, tame or wild? What state do you live in?
I had a cat get so sick so quickly, not paralysis like yours, but horribly weak. She had Cytauxzoonosis, more commonly known as Bobcat Fever. This disease is found more often in the southern states, my cat had to be one of maybe a dozen ever diagnosed in Kansas. My vet had to look it up, he said it was one of those diseases that are hard to focus on in school because it is so rare and so fatal. One they hope never to see and my cat was the only one he had ever seen. This disease can only be passed from a tick that has bitten a Bobcat.
You see there are tons of factors in diseases, many which you might never imagine to be important.

Unread 04-02-2011   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskat View Post
How old was Mr. Orange, was he neutered, what history do you know about him??? Are there any other animals running around in your area, tame or wild? What state do you live in?
I had a cat get so sick so quickly, not paralysis like yours, but horribly weak. She had Cytauxzoonosis, more commonly known as Bobcat Fever. This disease is found more often in the southern states, my cat had to be one of maybe a dozen ever diagnosed in Kansas. My vet had to look it up, he said it was one of those diseases that are hard to focus on in school because it is so rare and so fatal. One they hope never to see and my cat was the only one he had ever seen. This disease can only be passed from a tick that has bitten a Bobcat.
You see there are tons of factors in diseases, many which you might never imagine to be important.
He was only about 7 years old. "Abandoned" from the neighbor right next door who still doesn't even know/care he's passed. We have several cats and live in a neighborhood where houses are close together. Speeding is a problem and there is a street with no sidewalk. However, it's a chance thing being as deep in the neighborhood. So, sometimes the cats get startled or are chasing something and even I've come close to hitting them when going slow.

This is also why I'm concerned because I fear for Sylvester and Poo Bear and a few others. The other thing which I really hope is not true is that we have some people maybe in the neighborhood that don't like cats. You know cats like to sit on cars, go in other garages, etc. I just have a bad though about some sick person hitting him with a bat or something. The very last vet to look did a hard feel down his spine, etc. and said she didn't feel any bones out of place. Honestly, from the outside you'd never know he was injured. No cuts, scratches , swelling but I think a degenerative disease would have worked slower?

As far as his shots, my g/f wasn't very responsible on that. Turns out he was over 3 years on his rabies. We did have him neutered and shots many years ago. Although, they say those rabies shots can last a long while. While he was sick I was going crazy thinking he had the "dumb rabies" which is rare but could be like what he had. Even though that would explain things, it doesn't add up. There was never any foaming and he was so passive the whole time ( When he got better shortly he was irritable but no more than usual. You know outdoor cats and stuff

We do have a skunk and possum and coon problem around here, and I "aim" to fix that if I can. So, I'm not sure about all that but so far no other cats have shown anything like this. They say the whole paralyses thing is just a rare condition all around so maybe that's why I got the cold shoulder at the vets?
Unread 04-03-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I understand your need for closure, but you can drive yourself crazy with all the what-ifs. You did all you could for Mr Orange. You couldn't let him suffer while you tried to figure out what happened, could you? You are deep in grief and loss, but he is free and whole now, and not suffering.

You did well by him, you did what was best for him at the time, and he is not suffering now. It's the ones left behind who suffer, with grief, loss and guilt. I hope you can let go of the guilt. Mr Orange does not want you to feel guilty for setting him free.

Keep your cats inside, this will protect them from evil people and cars and disease.

please read this first
Unread 04-03-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Busy
DaddyCat is on a distinguished road

Mr.OrangeForever, I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand that only a week after, the pain will be very fresh and second-guessing and remorse are natural responses to losing a beloved companion and dependent. Please take some comfort knowing that you gave him love and a good life in the time he had.
Unread 04-23-2011   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

im very sorry to hear about mr orange, i dont have a lot of money and cant afford private vet fees because my husband is sick and cannot work. fortunately in the uk we have free healthcare and it is the same standard of care wether you are rich and poor. This is the same for pet health here, if you are unemployed sick or elderly, there is a pet hospital that treat your pet for free, they are funded by donations and charity work, all animals get the same care there as they would at a private vet and they are available 24/7 for emergencies. I wish there was facilities like that everywhere and people wouldnt have to go through these things. Hope you are feeling better. jan

Tags
another cat , boy , cat , cats , cold , crazy , dogs , elderly , family , fever , fight , food , found , gift , healthy , hey , kitty , loss , lost , love , mat , money , natural , outdoor , passive , prayers , problems , sad , scream , sick , steroids , story , tabby , thoughts , upset , vet , wild , window

Sponsored Cat Links