It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
xxbloodlustxx is on a distinguished road
Unhappy My cat, Skittles

I had a profile on this website, but I forgot my login info. So I decided to create a new account. Last year my beloved cat Jack passed away at 6 years old due to kidney failure. I was heart broken. So was my mother who was very attached to Jack. She loved him so much. She vowed never to get a new cat, and just take care of the 4 we had left. A few days after Jack passed, a stray cat started walking around our yard. Every time we got close, he ran. We left food for him, he would eat, then leave. Soon he started coming to us as we were leaving his food. He would meow at us. As we got a good look at him, we realized he was in bad shape. He was very skinny, and the bugs were biting his ears pretty badly. He was mostly black, with a little white fur around his nose, paws, and stomach. He had an unusually long tail, and smallish body. He seemed like an older cat to me, but I can't be sure of his exact age. We didn't get too close at first. We could tell he had been living on the street for awhile and we weren't sure if he was dangerous or not. But as time went on we started to pet him, and we put medicine on his ears. He'd be on our porch every day, and we would feed him. We would go outside and spend time with him. This went on for a few months. He loved us. And though we loved him, we didn't want to bring him inside until he got his vaccinations. So we took him to the vet. The vet gave him his shots and told us that his kidneys were enlarged, either due to an infection or something worse. He gave us some pills to give him, and he told us not to get too attached. That made us sad. But we gave him his pills, and hoped he would get better. He was doing fine for awhile. He hasn't gained much weight while he's been with us, though he eats like crazy. But he fits in well with our family. Our other cats didn't like him at first, but now they accept him. Then, one day, I noticed that when he used the litter box, he had worms in his stool. We took him back to the vet, he dewormed him and checked his kidneys again. He said they weren't enlarged anymore. We were so happy. We've had him in our home for a few months now. I decided to name him Skittles. I thought that would be a good name for a cat. He seems happy and healthy. He's very affectionate and good with people and other cats which surprised us considering he's probably been a stray for the majority of his life. He has really brightened our life. Unfortunately just a few days ago, he started to get sick. His personality changed. He became confused. He stopped meowing (he has a very distinct meow, and meows whenever I walk into the room). It now takes him minutes to urinate. His skin has a yellowish tint. He stopped drinking water and eating. He won't respond to us. He just walks around, almost like he's looking for something, then he'll collapse on the floor. We knew something was very wrong. We took him to the vet today. He said he thinks Skittles probably has Leukemia. His body is starting to shut down. They're keeping him overnight. They're taking blood samples and giving him fluids. But things don't look good. If his condition gets worse, they're going to recommend we euthanize him. I've been crying all day. I don't want to lose him. He loves us so much. We're the only true family he has ever had. I know I have to let him go, but I'm going to miss him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skittles.jpg (93.1 KB, 10 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-24-2012   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Post My cat, Skittles

xxbloodlustxx

First off thank you for taking in a stray kitty you gave the one wish that all forgotten stray cats and kittens wish for a furever loving home an someone to love them an it sounds like you made Skittles real happy from the picture it look like Skittles is a senior kitty. I know it is an will be hard to say goodbye but you gave a stray cat love something must people would not do if it is his time to cross over the Rainbow Bridge be with him he will always love you for saving an loving him an once you take in a cat or kitten they are with you forever even in passing so it you see a kitty from the corner of your eye it will be your kitty Skittles checking to see that you and your family are safe an you said he is still at the vets so PLEASE keep us updated on Skittles an yes if although stary cats comes to you please take them in I think Skittles would like that. =^..^=

Once again thank you for taking in an loving a forgotten stray cat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-24-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
xxbloodlustxx is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately Skittles passed away last Thursday. He indeed died from leukemia, which caused his liver to fail, and his body to shut down. My one regret is that he had to die alone. I loved him with all my heart. I miss him so much. He was more than a cat, he was an angel. And though I only knew him for a year, he will always live on in my heart. He suffered all his life, yet he was the kindest, most loveable cat I knew. R.I.P.
Unread 02-24-2014   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

aekdb5 is on a distinguished road

was such a sweet looking cat. I know the feeling all too well.

Tags
affectionate , age , biting , cat , cats , crazy , crying , eating , eye , family , food , fur , happy , healthy , hey , home , jack , litter , litter box , meow , new cat , nose , personality , pet , sad , sick , stray , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links