It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-12-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
BlackWolf65 is on a distinguished road
Default A Farewell to Dusty

I didn't expect to make my first post here about a cat that I had to put down, but I find that I really need to share this with others. Our beloved Dusty, an eighteen year old DSH, finally had to be put out of his suffering.

Dusty had lost the sight in one eye, suffered from severe arthritis, had completely lost his hearing, and at times, he seemed almost to be suffering from some sort of dementia - he seemed not to know who my wife and I are, and he would wander around as though he was in unfamiliar surroundings. Near the end, we had to coax him out from his favorite sleeping spot and remind him to eat and drink by putting him in front of the food and water.

We had made the appointment to have this done about a week ago. Until yesterday morning when it was time to get him ready to go, I had pretty much taken an attitude of not wanting to face what was coming. I spent a lot of time with Dusty in my lap purring, but couldn't think about what had to be done.

Yesterday, my wife and I bundled him into the crate for the short drive to the vet. As usual, he protested loudly at this, but calmed down when we arrived at the vet's office. It fell to me to stay with him until it was over - my wife could not bear to be there when it happened. When it was time, we were brought into a small and cozy room.

The staff brought out a very thick, soft blanket for him, and he lay on the table as I stroked him. I was surprised to find that he was purring - that's something that he had never done before at the vet. They left us alone together for about fifteen minutes, then came in to begin the procedure. He was given a tranquilizer first to put him to sleep, and when he had slipped into a quiet snooze, he was given the final injection. I cried through the whole procedure, and the staff left me alone with Dusty again, telling me to take as much time as I needed. I spent another fifteen minutes saying goodbye and stroking him, then left the room. He will be cremated, and his ashes will be returned to us.

Dusty was a stray that we rescued when he was very young - no more than three or four months. When we first saw him, we thought that he was gray in color - he looked as though someone had dumped the contents of a vacuum cleaner bag on him - hence the name Dusty. As it turned out, he was actually a coal black cat with a small white spot on his chest. Apparently, he struck out on his own after someone had spay painted him with gray paint.

He was the only member of our cat family that was allowed to go outside, mainly because he refused to be confined to the house. He disdained the litter boxes, and if we tried to force him to stay in, he would leave us a "gift" on the bathroom floor. He never left our yard, though, staying on a steady patrol of his territory, and woe to any strange cats who dared to try and come into our yard.

We will miss Dusty's rough head butting as he was being stroked, his loud purring, the mice and assorted other creatures he would leave on the porch for us. Mostly though, we will miss the unconditional love that he gave us.

Rest in peace, Dusty. Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge, you will always hold a very special place in our hearts and in our minds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-26-2014   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

jesslvs2grm is on a distinguished road

Im so so sorry. Dusty sounds like he was amazing!. My heart goes out to you. I feel your pain. My peaches was 17 cream tabby grew up with my boys . Left me lots of presents on the porch.chase off small stray dogs. My first kity with my family. started losing weight,forgetting where he was,forgettin he already ate. Having accidents. Past away a week before thanksgiving. He collapsed and stoped breathing. I miss him so much . he slept with me n the kids.he would sleep on my back. We were so close. I miss him running up the driveway when I come home. We are so lucky to of have them rescue us. We will be with them again one day.hang in there my friend.xxxoooo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-01-2016   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Brooding
toperznie is on a distinguished road

I am sorry for your loss. This is sad, that our life is sooo much longer than theirs. I would switch some years with my cat if I could.
Unread 03-16-2016   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

sperahouse is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry for you loss!!

It truly is hard when they leave you!! and they all take a piece of you with them!!! Sorry for your loss!! Lyn
Unread 05-20-2016   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

mic.alan is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss, my heart breaks for you
Unread 05-20-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

sperahouse is on a distinguished road

My heart goes out to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there really is not much anyone can say!! but anyone who has had cats/animals can relate when the little one passes on!! they always take a piece of you with them!!! - and no matter what way you look at it they loved you unconditionally!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lyn
Unread 03-22-2018   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

tiddles is on a distinguished road

So sorry for your loss x

Tags
black , black cat , cat , cats , color , confined , dogs , eye , family , food , gift , hey , home , house , litter , litter boxes , lost , morning , rescue , sleeping , small , spay , stray , tabby , thanksgiving , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links