It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2006   #1 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Exclamation What did you think barn cats for?

This is humourous mostly because it's true.

A few years back, my farmer husband decided he would try one of those electronic pest controllers. He put it in the grainery where we have a huge problem with mice. He shut the cats out of the grainery just to see how the thing would really work. It wasn't very many days, he found the pest controller covered with spider nests and not too far from it, there was a nest of newborn mice. A little perplexed, he pushed the tester button and sure enough the test buzzer went off. The thing was indeed "working".

Not too long after the test buzzer sounded, Misty came running into the grainery and looked at him rather quizzically, as if she was saying, "What do you think barn cats are for?" That must be exactly what she meant because within half a day after my husband removed that awful electronic thing, Misty and her barnmates were back in the grainery and the nest of mice was gone.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-18-2006   #2 (permalink)
No.1 Persian Lover!

I think they are useful to prevent pests

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-19-2006   #3 (permalink)
wendywenpet

That is a cute story!!!

But if you have been following my posts you will know that I love rats!! I would have mice too. But my plate is full at the moment!

I have heard of a humane trap for mice... ask your vet. And then maybe let them away elsewhere.

But if your cat is eating the mice... they could possibly get some kind of worms or something. Has your cat brought them home to you as a gift???

Nonetheless.... very cute!

Unread 12-20-2006   #4 (permalink)
softpaws

Default Humane trap?

My cat brings home gifts of rodents to me also. She doesn't generally eat them and I keep my cats well looked after in terms of checkups and stuff, so we have never had a problem with worms or other parasites. What is just really strange is when cats do bring home live presents. Personally I have always wondered about what they call humane traps. If you are referring to the type that trap the mouse or rat on glue, I don't consider that humane. Basically, that is designed for them to struggle and eventually starve themselves to death. You wouldn't want to do that to one of your pets would you? I know you're all thinking you just free the little critter but remember to pull the animal off the glue you are risking being bit or otherwise attacked.

Unread 12-20-2006   #5 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Actually, I have not investigated the humane trap... I should. Carp... if I knew they would be stuck to glue... I would have a fit. THANKS for letting me know that,., I will call my humane society tomorrow and check it out!!!

That is so awful!!! {{{{ Hugs }}}} for lettine me know that!! How cruel!!

Actually, when I first got Egor... she brought in a little mouse and I woke up the little sounds of squeak, squeak.... I was able to capture the little darling in a cup and put it back outside!!! Phew!!!

Tags
animal , cat , cats , cute , eating , found , free , gift , gifts , hey , home , love , mouse , newborn , problem , story , struggle , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links