It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2008   #1 (permalink)
Piperspice

Smile New Here!

Hello all,

I am new to this board, my name is Lilly. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am planning on getting two kittens next month. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it. I have had a dog before but never a cat. I have babysat my friends kittens several times and just adore them. I really want something to take care of and to add to my husband and I's family. I think cats are perfect for our lifestyle and they are just so darn cute. Anyway, if you have any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks!
-Lilly

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-03-2008   #2 (permalink)
kittenlover

I cant believe 61 people have viewed this and no one was nice enough to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM! im new myself, I hope people are more friendly then what I see so far. Well good luck with the find. I think you should adopt a pet from a free ad or your local Humane Society.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-03-2008   #3 (permalink)
Piperspice

Thank you for welcoming me. I was a bit surprised at the lack of community here as well. I am part of other forum boards and everyone is super friendly and talkative. I was planning on either getting kitten from a local shelter or from someone who posts on craigslist. I am interested in getting either an american short hair(which seems most common household cat), a bengal, or a Maine Coon. To buy them purebred is so expensive though, and I am not ready to purchase a cat for lots of money. Of course I do have the money to spend for the cat needs(food, litter, vet, toys, pet furniture,etc).
Anyway thanks again for your response. Do you have cats/kittens?

Lilly

Unread 07-03-2008   #4 (permalink)
buttercup

Hi Piperspice..... Welcome and I too am fairly new. My only advice would be that wherever you go to choose that the cats aren't timid, have been well taken care of (clean and fresh) have clear clean eyes and have a nice coat. We had a bad experience where we went to a pet store at the local mall and purchased a lilac point siamese who had a wonderful personality but had health issues. He had ring worm which my dh and I got and I was 6 months pregnant and also sneezed constantly which they couldn't find a reason for. We ended up giving him away and it was too much. A number of years later we went to another pet store and choose a brother and sister who had ear mites so bad that their ears looked like someone had poured dirt into them. We did nurse them back to health and we still have the brother whom we named Oscar and I simply adore him. Sadly his sister Maddie passed away about 3 years ago. My other furry kid Zipper who is a female is his constant companion and is never too far from me. We were keeping her for my son and his then girlfriend until they got their own place but I got too attached to her and she to me and couldn't let her go. Its a good idea to get a pair at the same time. Not only do they keep each other company but they are hilarious to watch play. He is 12 and she is 9. Life wouldn't be the same without them. Good luck.

Last edited by buttercup; 07-03-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Unread 07-03-2008   #5 (permalink)
Piperspice

Thank you for responding. I will take your advice into consideration. I have defiantly not heard good things about getting pets from a pet store. Which is so sad, since those poor animals look so sad in the cages. I will most likely get my kitten(s) from a local shelter, or from someone who posts on craigslist in my area. I am very excited.

Unread 07-04-2008   #6 (permalink)
kittenlover

How do you add the friends thing, I cant find it to accept the add piper. Anyways yes Craig list is a good idea I always take in animals to my home until I can find them a proper loving home. I just hate the idea of one getting killed....anyways I came home last night to find that Mary Jane was dead now since that evil dog of ours killed her as well needless to say the dogg has gone to a good home and im left with no animals

Unread 07-04-2008   #7 (permalink)
Piperspice

Aww...I'm sorry. Are you going to try and get another one?

PS. to add me as a friend, where you see my friend request click to view my profile and then on my profile click befriend Piperspice. It will then accept me as a friend.

Unread 07-07-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool Hi Lilly new!

Hi Lilly!

Welcome!
Two kittens is the best. They will play together & if it is only one he will be bored.
You won't be dissapointed with cats, they're simply cute & very clean
animals.
You can visit my gallery to see mine, I have 5 cats now & another two that
passed away on 2003 & 2005.

I hope to hear more from you.

ATB, Maya
Unread 07-07-2008   #9 (permalink)
Piperspice

thank you for your response! I am not sure if I will be able to afford to kittens at this time, what with all the supplies and the vet for two. But even if I get one he will be showered with attention and not lonely, because I will play and love him a ton! :0)

-Lilly

Unread 07-08-2008   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Well, I think that is okay also. My first cat was alone for two years until we
get the other & nothing happened

Take care, Maya

Tags
advice , bengal , black , brother and sister , care , cat , cat needs , cats , clean , color , cute , dog , eyes , family , female , food , free , friendly , friends , fur , furniture , health , hey , home , kitten , kittens , litter , love , maine coon , mites , money , new to this , nice , personality , pet , pet furniture , play , pregnant , profile , shelter , siamese , timid , toys , vet

Sponsored Cat Links