It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2008   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyHearts is on a distinguished road
Question Opossum !!!

I currently have a new "pet", an opossum! My dogs woke me up at 4am barking. I quieted them down, disregarded their barking, and went back to sleep. At 6am I woke up to get ready for work when I looked out of my window and spotted an opossum. I thought to myself, "Okay .... and how did he get in my yard?!", being that I have privacy fences. I figured he just squeezed through one of the warped boards. I went off to work leaving him in my yard figuring he would leave the way he came. Now at 7:40pm, same day, and he's still in my yard! Apparently he never left!

How can I tell if he's sick? If he has rabies? If he was someones pet? (I do know someone who raised opossums so he could possibly be a pet, though I kinda doubt it.)

Not really sure what his eyes are supposed to look like but they almost look like he's old or maybe sick. His first encounter with me he rolled over and played possum. The second encounter he doesn't seem frightened by me not the least little bit. Also, I know they are nocturnal, this morning at 6am he was quite active. So by being active and not afraid of me this led me to wonder if maybe he had rabies? He wasn't foaming at the mouth or any thing but his eyes are not glossy, they are somewhat barely open and hazy. Even though my dogs had been out there with him all day long, I'm now nervous that he's still there so I brought my dogs all inside.

So I was just wondering if anyone would be able to answer any of these questions for me. Any help would be appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-06-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi!

Sick, rabies? maybe yes, maybe not. You cannot know.
Be careful only; take into account that is a wild animal you don't know
I don't think he could be a pet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Oh I wasn't being serious when I called him a pet, I was being sarcastic.
Unread 11-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

Still there?

Unread 12-08-2008   #5 (permalink)
kittycovergurl707

HOLY CRAP! Call him " the awesome possum". What a puuurrrfect name! And it is in his nature to play possum.

Unread 12-09-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

What's the situation now, is it still there?

Unread 12-11-2008   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

GigiDieKatze is on a distinguished road
Default Huh?

What the heck is an Opossum!!??
http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/im...s/confused.gif
Unread 12-11-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

A strange mammal. You can find it in the Wikipedia (also "possum")

Unread 12-12-2008   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

He stayed in my yard for a long time. I just let him stay to see if he got any healthier. He did! Each day his eyes got clearer and clearer. Don't really know what was wrong with him but I could definitely see improvement. While staying at my house we ended up calling him "Possy". Yep we were very creative with his name, lol. When ever I let my dogs out I would put Possy in the old dog run. Which is one of those huge chain link dog run. Then I would bring the dogs back in and let Possy have the run of the yard again.

With him being wild and all I never wanted to touch him, not that I was afraid of him, just being cautious. So to put him in the dog run, I would use an empty 40lb bucket that used to have Fresh Step kitty litter. (I save all the buckets ... they're starting to add up, lol) Anywho, I would place the buckets edge up to Possy and scoop him up off the ground. Then carry him, in the bucket, into the run and "pour" him out of the bucket. It was actually kinda funny to see.

Once he got back to looking like a normal healthy opossum, I crated him up and relocated him in some woods. The whole time I had him, he never hissed at me and never tried to get away. The only time he played possum was on the first encounter with me. After that he was fine. I think he was cute and it was fun while it lasted.
Unread 12-13-2008   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Aw,that's a nice ending to your story,well done.xxxxx

Tags
animal , cats , cute , dogs , eyes , fun , funny , happy , healthy , hey , house , kitty , litter , love , morning , nervous , nice , pet , play , rabies , save , sick , sleep , spotted , story , wild , window

Sponsored Cat Links