It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-23-2009   #31 (permalink)
britty3189

KatrineA, we had some patients that were like that, too. There were a few patients that would hit on the nurses and try to get a little somethinsomethin. Some of them had senility issues, some didn't. A great thing we learned when I went to a training class was that these people are still people! They still have needs and desires, even sexual, just because they're old or disabled doesn't necessarily mean that they are any less human.

We had this poor man who lived there, he had a few issues. He was not very old, maybe in his late 40's to early 50's. He was in a wheelchair and had a leg amputated. He had a lot of anger issues, and I do think they stemmed from his situation. He was a nice man, but you could tell he was proud, and that he hated being there and being in that wheelchair, and probably hated not having his leg. I enjoyed talking to him, and he was always nice to me. But he did have mood swings and seemed very depressed a lot.

Working in a nursing home is hard, but it's a good experience.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-23-2009   #32 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I know what you mean. This man also hit on us, tried to grab us all the time and asked us very inappropriate questions. I am a caretaker, I do the same work as a nurse, except from handing out medicine. Care takers here follow the residents around all the time (on shifts of course) to take care of them. Which brings me really close to these residents. It's amazing how many people you get to know and how professional you have to stay when they pass away.
There have been some people there who have almost been able to make me cry, then with a lot of patience, suddenly they turn around and start to like me.

It's a great experience and you learn a lot of things from the residents and about life
Unread 05-23-2009   #33 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I live in England and you live in the U.S and unless your planning to get me a green card and you have stacks of money or I win the lottery I won't be coming to America any time soon unfortunately although I would love to return the States, as used to live there, New Jersey to be exact, also Illinois, then I returned to England, married had kids and then moved to Canada, returned to England in 2000, against my better judgement, and I'm still here, but would rather be in either the U.S or Canada!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-23-2009   #34 (permalink)
britty3189

Goodness you've moved around a lot! It must have been interesting living in so many places though.

KatrineA it's definitely hard when a patient passes away. I witnessed quite a few passings while I worked there.

Unread 05-23-2009   #35 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Those "elite" members I'll note 9 times out of 10 had been playing less time than me, but just like the real world military being outspoken definitely limited my options for career advancement, and every time I'd had someone groomed up on my list to be a good player they got stolen from me to be shoved into a command position, usually before they were ready for that move. If I said I didn't feel someone was ready for a command position... Well I was never proven wrong.
Unread 05-24-2009   #36 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

MaggieMay & Britty : It's sad to know that the old saying : Don't judge a book by its cover - is really true. People still like to judge - feel more superior and tend to do this out of their true "inferiority". They don't have self-confidence at all. Like Brit, she's extremely intelligent and super-talented. Her job as a receptionist is as important as the cleaner, admin and the management, as well as nurses and doctors. Without anyone of them - who can run a nursing home ?
Britty : I'm happy to know that you judge things not from the outer appearance - you go very deep, people are still people! They still have needs and desires, even sexual, just because they're old or disabled doesn't necessarily mean that they are any less human.
And your encounter with the nice but bitter man on the wheel chair, when other people will directly jump into their own conclussion -- criticizing, compromizing or patronizing people, even being harsh on them.
If one was ever to help, must proof that he/she is able to see the root of the problem, exactly know how to deal with every issue of the problem (mental, emotional, psychological, even deeper), otherwise, I don't believe the man will really receive help, neither his wife and maybe children. When helping people, I used to remind myself, if you know where the knot lies, it's easier .. and the knot always begins from understanding the deepest truth, like why he/she reacts/feels that way.
I'm proud of you guys who work at the nursing home ! You're the ones who know how to respect people, regardless of their background.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
attacking , bills , boy , bully , bullying , care , cat , cleaning , color , crazy , depressed , eyes , family , found , free , friendly , fun , funny , game , great , health , healthy , hey , hiding , home , homes , house , informative , interesting , internet , joy , lost , love , money , moving , nice , opinion , person , play , playing , print , problem , problems , question , raw , sad , small , social , stealing , stop , story , tale , training , weird

Sponsored Cat Links