It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2009   #11 (permalink)
krq11zipe

I, Karan, am owned by all my 11 felines, we live in Florida. Right now they enjoy peering out the French doors to watch all the activities in the back yard and watch the rain, since we are in the middle to the rainy season. They are a joy and they keep my feet warm at night, jocking for position on the bed is also a daily event. Of course I begin with one group and end with another, except Biscuit and Jake are always with me no matter the time.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-09-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Aw, it's nice to have followers, isn't it?
Welcome, Karan! You'll like it here. All cat lovers should join this forum, it's friendly and informative.
Unread 07-10-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I'm glad you're on the right track of what to do You should check for UTI, if it doesn't stop though. I didn't know spraying cat nip on the places being marked helps?

If I counted correctly you have 10 cats? You must be entertained all day long then! I'd be in heaven with 10 cats, minus the vacuuming, hehe
Katrine you forgot the Alpha male kitty ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-10-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krq11zipe View Post
I, Karan, am owned by all my 11 felines, we live in Florida. Right now they enjoy peering out the French doors to watch all the activities in the back yard and watch the rain, since we are in the middle to the rainy season. They are a joy and they keep my feet warm at night, jocking for position on the bed is also a daily event. Of course I begin with one group and end with another, except Biscuit and Jake are always with me no matter the time.
Hi Karan ! Having so many followers is cool, but please also understand their need from their point of view. I think your cats are experiencing aggression between cats sharing a house. This type of aggression is commonly referred to as "territorial" aggression; however, it is not always territorial concerns that motivate the attacks. The aggressor may attack only one cat in a multi-cat household and the aggressor is not necessarily the first cat that was introduced into the household, nor the eldest.

This aggression usually develops gradually (unlike redirected or fear-induced aggression). It begins with hissing and growling; progresses to swatting and chasing; and finally involves attacking and fighting. The victim may become progressively more afraid of the aggressor and may begin to hide in remote areas of the house, coming out only when the other cat is not around. Occasionally, litter box problems occur because the fearful cat is too afraid to leave the hiding place. It is very important to provide the victim with a safe haven in the house to protect it from injury and stress.

Here is a list of common manifestations of stress in cats:

Inappropriate elimination (litterbox problems)
Territorial marking behaviors, including spraying
Excessive grooming and self-mutilation
Immobility (depression) and hiding
Redirected aggression (toward people or other pets)
Excessive vocalization
Loss of appetite
Restlessness

All of these behaviors can also be symptoms of illness, so it is important to take the cat to the veterinarian as soon as possible to rule out health problems as being the cause for the aberrant behavior.

Felliway Plug Ins have been proven effective to have a calming effect on cats. When you talk to a stressed cat, use a slightly higher than normal pitch to your voice and speak very softly. Deep voices create fear and loud voices can be grating on the cat's sensitive ears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-10-2009   #15 (permalink)
krq11zipe

Hi Irene: Thanks for all the advise. The first thing I did was check to make sure Petey did not have a UTI..negative. The urinating problem started a number of years ago before the feline population exploded here. I have tried enzyme cleaners, everything on the market. The litter boxes are large storage boxes filled with about 30lb of litter, frequently cleaned (multi-cat Everclean), no less than three times daily. For example, today he peed on my canvas chair though the litter was clean, no obvious human reason, I was up early and everyone was fed. I try to keep to a set schedule...for example several weeks ago I was sick and slept late after 9am. Petey attempted to wake me by licking my face, so I pushed him away and said, "NO Petey".....well he proceeded to pee on the blanket over my feet....that got the reaction he wanted, I was up in a flash, bundled up the blanket, got up and fed the crew....now my bedroom is off limits except when I am sleeping then it is open, he even sleeps at my feet sometimes. I am truly at my wits end. I can not have any solid furniture, only fold up chairs, no sofa's or couches. Enlightenment accepted!!

Unread 07-10-2009   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Hi Irene: Thanks for all the advise. The first thing I did was check to make sure Petey did not have a UTI..negative. The urinating problem started a number of years ago before the feline population exploded here. I have tried enzyme cleaners, everything on the market. The litter boxes are large storage boxes filled with about 30lb of litter, frequently cleaned (multi-cat Everclean), no less than three times daily. For example, today he peed on my canvas chair though the litter was clean, no obvious human reason, I was up early and everyone was fed. I try to keep to a set schedule...for example several weeks ago I was sick and slept late after 9am. Petey attempted to wake me by licking my face, so I pushed him away and said, "NO Petey".....well he proceeded to pee on the blanket over my feet....that got the reaction he wanted, I was up in a flash, bundled up the blanket, got up and fed the crew....now my bedroom is off limits except when I am sleeping then it is open, he even sleeps at my feet sometimes. I am truly at my wits end. I can not have any solid furniture, only fold up chairs, no sofa's or couches. Enlightenment accepted!!
Cats have different personalities too like human. I guess Petey is the one who is more strong-willed, just like my Princess. She is always the one who will become very vocal when she needs something and will pee on my blanket or in my clothes too when her needs are not met.
That's why I know I have to deal with each kitty individually. That also reduces my problem, and eventually eliminates the spraying problem.
Like Katrine said, I too admire you, taking care of so many cats and looking after Biscuits and Sheman. God bless you for being the angel to the kitties.
BTW, how old is Petey ? And how many litter boxes do you have for them ?

Unread 07-10-2009   #17 (permalink)
krq11zipe

Petey is the oldest over 9yrs old. I have two huge plastic storage boxes filled with >30lbs of litter in each, cleaned no less than three times a day. None have problems getting into or out of the boxes. They are very good about waiting turns and when I see high activity I clean right away.

Unread 07-10-2009   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Petey is the oldest over 9yrs old. I have two huge plastic storage boxes filled with >30lbs of litter in each, cleaned no less than three times a day. None have problems getting into or out of the boxes. They are very good about waiting turns and when I see high activity I clean right away.
In fact for kitties with urge, it's difficult to be patient. They tend to refuse to wait in line. Normally, we'll prepare at least one box per kitty. And some kitties also like to pee and poo in separate boxes. Average my kitties pee twice a day and poo once (at least, sometimes twice too). So I can imagine it's hard for you to always keep track of their activities.
Just imagine, like human, in a house of 11 dwellers, it's almost impossible to share only two toilets, especially when some of them like to pee and poo separately in a clean bathroom. Therefore, I suggest that you can add the number of boxes, as many as possible. Better to have 12 (with litter at least 3 paws deep), as advised by cat behavior expert.
Oh yes, senior cats tend to urine more frequent than young cats.

Unread 07-11-2009   #19 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Welcome to the forum, Karan & gang!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-11-2009   #20 (permalink)
krq11zipe

Default Marking Behavior

Irene, thanks for all the advice. I will do as much as I can, I do not have room for 12 litter boxes. I am making room for my brother so space is very limited. I do not have a porch either which would help. Will try my best.

Tags
advice , age , aggressive , animal , another cat , attacking , beds , bites , box , breeders , care , cat , cat lovers , cat nip , cats , female , friendly , fur , furniture , great , growling , hiding , hissing , home , informative , jack , kitten , kittens , licking , litter , litter boxes , litterbox problems , lost , lucky , male , mat , neuter , paw , pee , pictures , play , problem , problems , save , senior , shelter , sick , sleeping , small , spayed , stop , stress , struggle , type , upload , uti , vet , vocal , wake

Sponsored Cat Links