It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...




Featured Photos

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2009   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
Irene Jims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Posts: 4,344
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I totally agree with this list, it is the same in regards to dogs as well!
When my husband and I first got Lily, waaay back before we even thought about being cats owners, we looked around for housing (apartments at that time) and SO many places would not take a larger dog, over 25lbs (what, everyone has chihuahua's?)
I refused to give up my dog for anything, so we lived in a motel for about 5 weeks until we found a place that was large dog friendly. The things we do for our pets...
That proved that you are a responsible mother to your pets, Crystal !!

And AbstractDr3ams, you DID make a very good point !! If only those people who fail to keep their commitment would be honest enough to admit that (their being irresponsible) - then I guess we'll all try our best to find the pet new "permanent" responsible parents.

Brandon : I'm proud of you !!
__________________
Irene & Gangs : Princess Tiger, Lady Fergie, Earl Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Irene Jims is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-27-2009   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
KatrineA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I totally agree with this list, it is the same in regards to dogs as well!
When my husband and I first got Lily, waaay back before we even thought about being cats owners, we looked around for housing (apartments at that time) and SO many places would not take a larger dog, over 25lbs (what, everyone has chihuahua's?)
I refused to give up my dog for anything, so we lived in a motel for about 5 weeks until we found a place that was large dog friendly. The things we do for our pets...
Well done! That's what should be expected of all pet owners, but some of them are heartless and selfish. I also prefer larger dogs, they're the best!
__________________
Anastasia Beaverhausen, my Queen
KatrineA is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Newborn
 
Terri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Williams Lake, BC, Canada
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Terri is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to Terri
Default

I copied that too & I can think of a few people who need to read it
__________________
Mom to Shelby & Dale,
& Proudly owned by Rosie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Terri is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
mj29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
Isn't it disgusting? A cat is for life, not until the novelty wears off.

When I got Floyd, the woman said her then bf was allergic.
And she was going away on holiday.

I found out off a relative a few weeks later she had had new carpet,
and Floyd had started stropping on it.
The poor cat was turfed out to the shed,only 5 months old,freezing January.

It made me sick.
These people need their collective heads examined. There is no way that my Zipper would be turfed out for any reason. She is another of my kids and I love her to bits. For the longest time I had the biggest fear that someone was going to break into our house get a hold of her and do unspeakable things to her. This came from an article in our local paper of a house that 2 men broke into, got a hold of one of the cats who didn't run and hide and stabbed it with a screwdriver several times. They were caught and when asked why would they do that to a defenseless animal he said whats the big deal its just a cat. I cried when I read that.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend


A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
mj29 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
KatrineA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj29 View Post
These people need their collective heads examined. There is no way that my Zipper would be turfed out for any reason. She is another of my kids and I love her to bits. For the longest time I had the biggest fear that someone was going to break into our house get a hold of her and do unspeakable things to her. This came from an article in our local paper of a house that 2 men broke into, got a hold of one of the cats who didn't run and hide and stabbed it with a screwdriver several times. They were caught and when asked why would they do that to a defenseless animal he said whats the big deal its just a cat. I cried when I read that.
How can one do that to another living creature? They probably have big psychological issues. If you have a conscience, you don't do stuff like that. Our cats should be our babies. It is a very big deal. It's murder
__________________
Anastasia Beaverhausen, my Queen
KatrineA is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
supersmithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 19
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Default

This is a very good post - utterly pathetic excuses. But if someone uses such a lame reason to offload their pet then it will be better off in a proper loving home - but pity the poor cats who can't understand why they have been uprooted from someone and somewhere they may have known all their life, even if it's ultimately for a better life
__________________
Heidi - owned by Pixie and Sasha
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
supersmithy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
maggiemay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Yorkshire, England
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road
Default

Lets see now I have allergies to cats and asthma and I have three cats, and I have been advised on numerous occasions by different doctors to get rid of my cats, but I always say no, I can't live without my kitties, well ok I could, but I don't want to!
__________________
Mom to Saffron, Phoebe, and Billy
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
maggiemay is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #18 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
sara-satellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sara-satellite is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree with 99.9% of everything.

The .01%...I don't like the idea of euthanization is better than rehoming elderly cats or special needs cats even.

I had a feral cat that I tamed (one of many). He was the sweetest cat and always the first to break through shyness with people. He ended up on our roof one day and fell off and hit the concrete (no one was home). He was paralyzed from waist down.

My mom found him when she came home from work and took him to the vet. I visited him every day. He eventually though grew an attachment to his caretaker (but would always say hi to me even still). My mom called me and was told they need to put him asleep. I cried and cried and said that I would take care of him, but to not do that. At the time I was 15, so mother say goes. She didn't want to do it though, but sometimes those decision do need to be made, I understand that.

But the vet tech called (his caretaker) and wanted to adopt him. I said yes (although I didn't want to give him up). I knew he would get the care he needed and still be alive somewhere. I still felt good about myself that in the end I homed a feral cat.

In this situation many would of already put him to sleep. He may not be an elderly cat as your post says, but I do think a cat that is about 2 years old and paralyzed would be considered the same even still.

So all in all, I think if someone is just not equipped financially or otherwise to care for that cat. I think it's okay to rehome the cat with the idea of giving it better care.

However, I still agree if someone just got rid of the cat because it's sick and they don't want a sick cat, but have the means to care, then yes that's a "lame excuse."

I guess I just felt a personal sentiment to that statement. Maybe I'll post my feral kitties (from my teens) in the album later.
sara-satellite is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
acerlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 288
Thanked 275 Times in 262 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default

Sara, thank you so much for your thoughtful post, and for sharing your story. It sounds to me that the situation was handled just right for all concerned, though I'm sure it caused you a lot of pain.

I do realize there are always exceptions to every "rule".

I think everyone reading my essay can't but help to take it in a personal way.

When we think in terms of rehoming, we think about our own beloved cats, at least I do, and the the idea of them ever having to lose their home and me all at once, wonder where I am, wonder where their home is, hurts me so much it takes my breath away.

As for euthanasia vs rehoming a sick elderly cat...that also is personal, to me. Ootay and I were together almost 18 years. She was with me through three extreme life changes. She had cancer when she was 11 and I nursed her through it.

She had, for the last three years of her life...CRF, hyperthyroid disease, high blood pressure, heart murmur, arthritis, stroke and megacolon. (actually she had the megacolon a couple years longer than that)

She took pills or medicines 8 times a day, and I gave her 2 shots every ten days and sub q fluids four times a week.

I knew all her ways. I knew what to do when she had a tummy ache. I spent hours massaging her and breaking up the gas bubbles in her tummy. I knew the worst places on her fur that she couldn't keep so tidy any more, and would comb her so gently to keep the mats away. I knew just how much food she liked in her dish at a meal time, any more than that and she would refuse to eat. I knew just what temperature she liked her food. I washed her when the poop got all over her, and I cleaned up her vomit.

I arranged my life around her care and with my vet as my partner, Ootay had good quality of life until her last stroke.

Now when I think of someone rehoming a sick senior cat, I think of Ootay.

She would have died of a broken heart if I hand handed her over to someone else to take care of her. Better she should go to sleep in her mommie's arms, the person she's known all her life, than to suddenly be old and sick with strangers who don't know anything about her.

Now, I know that I could take on an elderly sick cat being rehomed, and take the best care of her. I have a lot of experience and skill caring for elderly cats and special needs cats.

I could give her all the love she could take, but I know her heart would be broken over losing her own person and home at this time in her life.

Well if anyone is still reading <s> That is my take on sick elderly cats being rehomed.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
acerlt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009   #20 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
sara-satellite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sara-satellite is on a distinguished road
Default

Ah, but this situation is still different than my original thought. I'm thinking of a situation when someone rehomes their cat at the initial hearing of the illness. I.E. If someone had an elderly cat similar to yours and rehomed the cat at the beginning of the illness. (Because they cannot provide the best care) Now if someone cares for that cat and rehomes the cat because they find it too much work, then I do disagree with that, naturally.

I don't argue against your case at all. I think I just felt if it was worded differently I would of felt differently upon reading it. Or maybe not even worded differently but further explained.

I don't want to ever feel guilty for any decisions I make for my cats, even those that are not with me any longer.



Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Sara, thank you so much for your thoughtful post, and for sharing your story. It sounds to me that the situation was handled just right for all concerned, though I'm sure it caused you a lot of pain.

I do realize there are always exceptions to every "rule".

I think everyone reading my essay can't but help to take it in a personal way.

When we think in terms of rehoming, we think about our own beloved cats, at least I do, and the the idea of them ever having to lose their home and me all at once, wonder where I am, wonder where their home is, hurts me so much it takes my breath away.

As for euthanasia vs rehoming a sick elderly cat...that also is personal, to me. Ootay and I were together almost 18 years. She was with me through three extreme life changes. She had cancer when she was 11 and I nursed her through it.

She had, for the last three years of her life...CRF, hyperthyroid disease, high blood pressure, heart murmur, arthritis, stroke and megacolon. (actually she had the megacolon a couple years longer than that)

She took pills or medicines 8 times a day, and I gave her 2 shots every ten days and sub q fluids four times a week.

I knew all her ways. I knew what to do when she had a tummy ache. I spent hours massaging her and breaking up the gas bubbles in her tummy. I knew the worst places on her fur that she couldn't keep so tidy any more, and would comb her so gently to keep the mats away. I knew just how much food she liked in her dish at a meal time, any more than that and she would refuse to eat. I knew just what temperature she liked her food. I washed her when the poop got all over her, and I cleaned up her vomit.

I arranged my life around her care and with my vet as my partner, Ootay had good quality of life until her last stroke.

Now when I think of someone rehoming a sick senior cat, I think of Ootay.

She would have died of a broken heart if I hand handed her over to someone else to take care of her. Better she should go to sleep in her mommie's arms, the person she's known all her life, than to suddenly be old and sick with strangers who don't know anything about her.

Now, I know that I could take on an elderly sick cat being rehomed, and take the best care of her. I have a lot of experience and skill caring for elderly cats and special needs cats.

I could give her all the love she could take, but I know her heart would be broken over losing her own person and home at this time in her life.

Well if anyone is still reading <s> That is my take on sick elderly cats being rehomed.
sara-satellite is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adult , allergic , allergies , animal , another cat , anxiety , apartment , asthma , baby , beds , behavior , bites , box , boy , car , care , carpet , cat , cats , clawing , claws , clean , color , diabetes , elderly , found , friendly , friends , happy , healthy , heart murmur , hey , hiding , holiday , home , homes , interesting , kitten , love , mat , medical , moving , new home , nice , person , pet , pill , pills , play , poop , pregnant , print , problems , sad , save , senior , shelter , shelters , sick , spay , story , stress , type , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Sitemap: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28