It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road
Default mama mallard

While on this thursday, I was walking down the river from my house catching crayfish, carrying a tidy cat litter bucket. I wade in wearing shorts and put my hands under the rocks I had a bunch of crawdads and I was thinking of eating them, knowing mom and dad probably don't want messy crayfish when nature provides a solution to my problem.

This mama duck and her five half-growns come near but not to close at first, I grab a crayfish from the bucket break it up and feed it to the ducks, which start to feed they all start coming up and eating, the babies are really hungry and they look a bit thin so I give them all the crayfish, Soon they, and I kid you not, take the peaces from my hand and are just inches from my legs. Some nip my toes

A friendly fishermen allows me to feed minnows which I do, Its really cool.

After eating these babies pile up in front of me in a heap, peacefully resting and one stretched its leg. I get up, mom doesn't fly away babies remain I get more crayfish, they follow and then eat, give them weeds from the bottom, nope dont like um, then they rest peacefully I can see the golden browns and blacks, the beautiful artwork on the emerging adult feathers, its so cool.

Then Mom goes into the river and the five tired babies follow her and I leave.

later online I learn that crayfish are a natural part of a mallard ducks diet. so no harm done in terms of diet at least

I tried to go today to see if they were there but they were gone. I wish I had my video cam
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you had a lovely relaxing day with the ducks - you did them a big favour with the crayfish from the sounds of it, without having to lug them home! I love those kind of moments which you can't predict

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Me too. Its so nice and peaceful, after the "itchy moments" of concern yet fringed with controversy like growing a giant beard.
Unread 08-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

A giant beard...noooo don't do it, big beards are wrong!!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Darkness has consumed thy heart

LOL
Unread 08-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Aw, I love feeding birds too. I haven't done that for ages. Maybe I will go to a park soon.

I am not a fan of beards either, especially not the big ones. Bf had a weird experiment on growing one last summer. Needless to say, I found a way to make him shave it off!
Unread 08-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It depends on the guy,age,genetics and how well they can grow it. I've seen guys I think look very good in beard and others, not so much. Danny for example ( he's one of my PCAs) cant grow a good beard. While Chris, CAN, big time.

Whenever you feed ducks/wildlife its important to feed them whatever is in the area, getting them used to human food is very bad, almost as bad as trying to have them trust humans. if your going to do what I did I would stick to something Natural so you don't make them sick..

crayfish

Minnows

Peas/corn

Duckweed

Are all good.
Unread 08-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'm really not kidding when I say that I don't like a beard on anyone, except from Santa Claus
Unread 08-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Well thats your opinion, everyones entitled to their own views.

The ducks were fun though LOVED um.
Unread 08-10-2009   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

sara-satellite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Whenever you feed ducks/wildlife its important to feed them whatever is in the area, getting them used to human food is very bad, almost as bad as trying to have them trust humans. if your going to do what I did I would stick to something Natural so you don't make them sick..

crayfish
Minnows
Peas/corn
Duckweed
Are all good.
You are feeding all those ducks garbage that are just made from other ducks...I mean "DUCKweed? Let's all take a stand and stop feeding ducks to other ducks and stop the duck eat duck cycle.

First of all, go to www.StopDeBeak.com and prevent duck beak removal. Quite informative and shocking!

Now that I'm back on topic again.........The brands you should use are as follows.

Innova- EVO, canned chicken and turkey
Instincts- Chicken
Natures logic canned, Chicken
Wellness grain free/ wellness core.

Let's all stop feeding the ducks garbage!

Tags
adult , age , aggressive , animal , art , artwork , babies , beautiful , birds , bite , boy , cat , cat food , catching , cats , cool , crazy , diet , eating , egg , exotic , eyes , facts , family , food , friendly , friends , fun , groom , hey , home , house , informative , internet , joke , links , litter , love , moments , natural , nice , opinion , pet , pet food , poison , problem , rare , recalls , save , scared , scary , sick , story , tale , video , window

Sponsored Cat Links