It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road
Default Who Plays The Sims 3?

Hi All,

Before I joined and could only read posts, I remember reading one where someone said they had been playing Sims 3 but I can't remember who it was. Do others here play Sims 3 (or other Sims games)? I got the Sims 3 and had been really into it until a few weeks ago. I didn't lose interest in it but my neighbour had some health problems and was off work for quite some time and I was spending a lot of time with her. She's going back to work next week (her problem is still there but she needs to wait for referrals and go on waiting list for surgery and work won't really hurt her unless she gets too stressed and then she can take a day or two off) so I might go back to playing a bit.

For any that play, do you do any challenges that are posted on various Sims forums or how do you like to play, do you concentrate on one family or create several and jump around between them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I don't think I've mentioned it recently, but I might have mentioned it at some point. I love the Sims! I just wish that the Sims 3 would hurry up and make a pets expansion pack already! I made the perfect dream house and all I need now is my virtual cats to fill it!

I like to concentrate on my family. Haha. Because I made myself in the Sims 3 with the bf and we've had several children there. I kept having kids, coz all I wanted was a girl and I got like 6 boys. Then I learned that if you eat 3 watermelons a day you get a girl. The food you eat during the pregnancy actually has something to do which gender of kids you make.

Oh yes, let's talk Sims 3

Btw you are kind to take care of your neighbour
Unread 09-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Oh yes let’s do!!!

Yes, it would be great if they hurried up with the pets xp for it.

I find the Sims 3 is SO much more playable than the other Sims. They’ve finally “got” it that we don’t need to pee every half hour. There’s so many improvements.

There was one glitch that was really irritating. That was if you switched families you lost everything in your inventory, that was really frustrating because I had a gardener who had a fridge full of perfect vegetables (and fish) and the fridge inventory was also gone when I went back to that family. I found out that was not just my game but almost everyone had the problem. I found a mod that takes care of the problem but the mod has it’s own little irritations but it has a few other benefits so I keep it. The other benefit is that you can control the aging for each individual family and whether or not they will have babies etc when you’re not playing them. I think one of the game patches also does something similar but not as customizable as the mod. I haven’t seen a game patch that fixes the inventory problem though and that is a real pain.

I base my families on my own but since (shhhh) I’m much older than you I start a few (in different game saves) of myself at different stages of my life, - like from when I was a child and let myself grow up or from when I first had my kids and then see how much like my own the game kids turn out. Then sometimes I just make fun neighbourhoods and make all weird sims with the new personality traits and watch how they act. You can get some really odd sims with some of those traits.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I kept having kids, coz all I wanted was a girl and I got like 6 boys. Then I learned that if you eat 3 watermelons a day you get a girl. The food you eat during the pregnancy actually has something to do which gender of kids you make.
Hilarious Kat. xxxxx
Unread 09-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I didn't know about that glitch, since I've only been playing one family so far. What annoys me is that I can't make any of them younger. I want to make myself younger (I don't want my sim to grow old!), but I also want my kids to grow older.

One time a sim got stuck doing something, I think it was playing with the baby. It wasn't getting any food or sleep and was about to die. Then I read that I had to move out the whole family and then move them back in again. That worked. Nothing else did. I was freaking out there for a while

I do love this game though. So many people are complaining about The Sims, about how stupid they were for focusing too much on the design and that there shouldn't be expansion packs. Everything should be included and with no glitches.

But I actually like the game. I LOVE decorating everything into details and I feel that the expansion packs make the game more exciting. You also get to learn things gradually by the expansion packs.

Have you heard about the coming expansion pack? Something about the Sims getting to travel to China and two other countries I can not remember. I hope that Pets will be made after that one

Oh and I always felt childish about playing this game, since you claim that you're much older than me, I feel relieved, hehe.
Unread 09-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Oh don't feel childish playing it, lots of .......um........... how shall I say. !!! aha!!! Youth challenged people play.

Apparently one of the patches took away the eating watermelons or apples thing so unless you have some sort of mod you can't really control the sex of the baby anymore.

Kat, if you get stuck again another thing to do is exit without saving, hopefully you wouldn't have reached any big milestone like just potty training or learning a child to talk or something. I save a lot just in case something like that happens. I had a Sim who had the "insane" trait and one time she somehow managed to walk through an upper floor wall while getting something out of the fridge. She was starving to death out on a little ledge of the house. I thought OMG this insane Sim is trying to comit suicide. I had a few others in the family that had just gotten new points in whatever and really didn't want to exit without saving. So I went in build mode and made a door in the wall where she was standing. Luckily she walked through the door and survived.

I love building too. In the Sims 2 I made an exact (well pretty close) replica of my own house but it wasn't a great house for playing because it took them so long to go where they needed but the Sims 3 is much better that way.

About you aging up before your kids. If you have a level 10 gardner, fisherperson and cook in the family (or a friend but the friends are trickier you need to play both familes to do it) you can make ambrosia. Eating ambrosia will bring your age back to day 1 of whatever you are. It won't change you from adult to young adult but it will reset to the beginning of that age group. To make ambrosia you need a "life fruit" a "death fish" and a cook who can make ambrosia (recipe is available at the book store) - also you can only make one serving of ambrosia at a time and without a mod you can only make it at dinner time.

If you don't have those available in your family if there is another family who can cook it you could have one of them cook it and leave it on the counter and then exit that family and send yourself over to visit and eat it - but if you have stuff in your inventory that you don't want to lose it might not be worthwhile. Maybe you could turn aging off while you work up skill levels or something.

Also just putting the foods in the fridge will not help because the fridge loses all its food if you switch families without the mod. I got my mod at modthesims2.com (it has stuff for Sims3 too) but it's a bit complicated and I'm not always sure it's worth it, I'm thinking of deleting and just playing the game straight.
Unread 09-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I just remembered something else. I think you can age up the kids early if you buy a birthday cake - I don't think it has to be their exact birthday. Buy a cake, click on it and you should see the option "blow out candles " and a list of everyone in the house should show up. I've never tried it though except for whoever really had a birthday.

No, no, nope. I do NOT play the Sims to much.

No. I don't.
Unread 09-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I haven't downloaded any pathces, there is a reason for that, but I don't know if I should say it inn "public"

I did actually reach many milestones at that point without saving. Silly me. I usually save my games often, but of course I didn't do it that time *sigh*

LOL at the suicidal Sim! That made me crack up

You know way too much about this game. You have no idea how many other (game related) forums I've entered to find out about the aging question. No one could answer me! And here I found an answer at the cat forum. It's so ironic.
I am so making someone a cook in my family!
I'm considering making a new family now, it's been a while since I played that game. It will be fun. I love decorating, so why not. I just really really really want to fill my home with cats!

Actually there is a cheat to age the kids or any sim up one level anytime. I can't remember how now, but you typed in a code, and then I think you had to hold shift down and click on it, then an option for that would appear. If you're interested, I could find that cheat again. But I wouldn't recommend using it if you want to give your Sims traits and raise them properly, hehe.
I did it twice, because I was sick of having boys. I made them adult and "kicked them out". I am a terrible digitalized mother, haha.
Unread 09-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi Kat,

Oh I've done terrible things to some Sim Kids too, especially when I had famililes that didn't really want kids and left them alone to play another family and they'd go and woohoo behind my back lol and I'd come back to a houseful of kids.

When I have kids I want I like to get them some skills too while they're young, also if they grow up well (etc have potty etc) the parents get to choose a personality trait at two levels so no risk of insanity etc.

Thanks for offering to look for the code for me but it's ok, I can use the cake if I need to age anyone so it's all good.

ps - if you don't want to admit in public you can pm me
Unread 09-05-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

How dare they go woohoo behind your back! We give them everything and that's what we get in return? LOL.

I also like the kids to get some skills. I let them play with toys that give them different skills. I want smart kids!

Ah, now I SO want to play The Sims, but I'm also having a Ghost Whisperer marathon all by myself though. I'll watch just one or two more episodes, then I'll play all night

Tags
adopted , adult , age , art , babies , baby , birthday , care , cat , cats , changed , children , computer , eating , family , fast , female , food , found , friends , fun , funny , game , games , girl , great , hey , home , house , hurt , internet , lost , love , money , pee , play , playing , pregnancy , problem , problems , question , save , sex , sick , silly , sleep , smart , surgery , travel , type

Sponsored Cat Links