It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2011   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Do you do this?

I sometimes wonder, when I do "weird" things, if I am the only one.

For instance: I live in a cold snowy place. I don't have a garage. I hate waking up to an ice covered windshield.

So if it is snowing as I drive home, or if I know it is going to be snowing soon after I get home (and this winter, it snows EVERY NIGHT) I turn off all heat and defrost in the car, to keep the windshield cold. I even drive with the windows open for the last mile.

This way, when the snow hits the windshield after I;ve gone inside for the night, it will just lie on top, not melt and then freeze into a solid sheet of ice.

It works. It's much easier to brush off just 10 inches of snow every morning, instead of ten inches of snow, then a layer of solid ice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-14-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Wow. And here I thought I was the only one who does that!! My parents think I'm crazy and going to catch a cold, but I'm well acclimated to the cold so it doesn't even bother me... And let's face it, it definitely does work! Other than that, I have a 1kw space heater on a timer that also aids in melting off the windshield if it does end up snowing after I've turned the truck off... Hehe.
Unread 01-14-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Well that's a relief, Brandon, great minds think alike you know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-15-2011   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hawki is on a distinguished road

Not me Gail, I can't wait for the car to heat up, I am usually sweated up from work so the cold car really hits me. I do agree that a cold windshield is easier to clean off than one that had been warm.
I usually start the car and go make my lunch etc. when I get to cleaning the snow off of the car the stuff on the front and rear glass is usually melted enough so scraping isn't a chore.

Butch
Husband to Rose, Servant to Callie; Man Butler to Slider.
Unread 01-15-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I used to just let it run until the defroster melted the ice, but idling really eats up the gas, and at $3.40 a gallon I just can't justify it to myself any more. <sigh>

please read this first
Unread 01-15-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Yes, indeed about the idling... I actually installed a remote start on my truck, yet hardly ever use it. With gas having hit $5 up here a couple times in recent years, I tend to try to save as much as possible .. It's sitting at about $3.40 here as well right now... But it never lasts
Unread 01-15-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hmm, you guys don't when you are well off - I just worked out that I pay the equivalent of over 8 dollars per gallon for my fuel The price here is just ridiculous..

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 01-16-2011   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Inever heard of that before. When I knowit's going to snow, I put the defroster up as high as it goes when I get out of my truck. Then in the morning I have a remote start, and I start up the truck from my living room (I know, the epitomy of laziness) as I'm getting dressed. I know the gas price is hihg, but what's the difference if I idle/warm up my truck when I'm INSIDE the house or start it up when I go out? I still have to keep it running long enough for the defroster to do its job of melting the ice. Oh, I forgot to say that the night before a storm I flip the wiper blades out (so they don't don't get buried in the ice) Maybe I'll try the cold-car thing Gail was talking about, but it doesn't seem very appealing. I hate to drive around in a freezing car.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 01-18-2011   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Well..I only chill the car down in the last mile or so. I turn off the heat, and run the fan to get all the heat out of the vents, and drive with the windows open. It only lasts a couple of minutes. I wear gloves when I drive, so I don't suffer too much.

When I used to have to get an early start in the morning I always had to run an idle in the winter. And it was always way longer than I needed, simply because of the way my morning routine went, you know, I'd run out to start the car, then come in, brush my teeth, pack the lunch..it always took longer than I meant for it to take.

These days I don't have to leave usually until 9 a.m. or even later. There just seems less pressure to get the car defrosted at that time of day than 7:30 a.m.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Tags
amazing , art , car , clean , cleaning , cold , crazy , great , heat , hey , home , house , love , morning , night , save , weird

Sponsored Cat Links