Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum

Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Puter troubles (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/off-topic/56662-puter-troubles.html)

Hawki 04-11-2011 03:23 PM

Puter troubles

Hi All
I didn't abandon this forum,;) I accidently fried parts my computer.
I decided to purchase a new flat, black screen 21" monitor...I bought it on line with free shipping and it arrived last tuesday....The instruction book gontained over 190 pages...the first 6 pages were in English, the remainder of the manual was a different language. 33 languages to be exact.

The monitor came with a power cord, 2 color coded pin cords, one with a blue pin plug and one with a white pin plug.There was a diagram of the back of the monitor...showing where each cord went...REAL SIMPLE!!! :o

I plugged in each cord into the correct connection; fired up the puter and everything worked, adjusted the contrast, brightness etc. and marveled at my new color monitor.

3 hours later, while watching a movie the puter shut down and seemed to be overheated, even though the exhaust fans in the puter were running fine...
I went to bed...after it cooled down it was working fine the next day???
wednesday evening Rose was playing on the puter when it shut down and would not restart :confused:...

I Called my computer expert buddy and found out that the blue pin cord was for digital use and the white pin cord was for some other type use (I forget what), anyway by connecting them both to the video card I confused the hell out of the computer and caused the power supply to work serious overtime...
According to my buddy...The video card is probably in need of a stright jacket and the powersupply is fried. He ordered me a new, improved larger power supply and he has a video card ready for installation...I am using one of his Older puters...this thing is slower than pouring molassses in December.
Hopefully I will be back on my puter by the end of the week.

Callie and Slider are going to the Vets at 4:30pm this evening...Slider's cold is still there and Callie's getting a checkup....this could be interesting...:rolleyes:

kskat 04-12-2011 12:58 AM

Happy to see you! Sorry about your computer, I am soooo tech challenged it's not even funny.:rolleyes:
Good luck at the vet, looking forward to the report!:)

Hawki 04-12-2011 05:02 AM

EVeryone survived the vet visit. Callie Cried like she was on death's door while in the carrier on the way to the vets office. Slider whined a bit when he was olaced in it but calmly resigned himself to whatever and relaxed.
Both exams whent pretty well, neither enjoyed the 'rectal temperature probe'. Slider especially was not pleased with that tactic.
Callie is healthy and 9.5lbs.
Slider got a shot of antibiotics for his URI (not even a whimper) but is otherwise healthy and tipped the scales at 8.5lbs.
Callie recovered at home pretty quickly, Slider exited the carrier and ran to the kitchwn ceiling for an hour or so.:lol:
He seems fully recovered this morning.

AK49BWL 04-12-2011 08:41 PM

Umm... One, the blue cable is not digital... it is a 15 pin, right? If so, that is VGA, which is analog... What most computers from 1992 until about 2005 used primarily. The white cable is most likely a 24-28 pin DVI, which is digital (hence DVI = Digital Visual Interface)..... And the digital is the one you want if you are going for better quality. I don't see how plugging in both would burn up the power supply, unless maybe the operating system was sending the video to both outputs simultaneously, and then yes it would require more power to run... But I will say this... Having both connected does not confuse the video card. Draw more power, yes, but confuse? No. Most cards with multiple outputs are made to use both at the same time.. Everything is configurable within the operating system - you can turn that second output on or off entirely, and then it makes no difference whether both are connected or only one... From the sounds of it you only have one monitor right now anyway, so having both connected is kinda pointless lol. Now, if you had two monitors, you could connect one cable to the new monitor, and the other to a different monitor, and have an extended desktop... A very nice setup if I do say so myself :D .... I've been building my own computers for a good 12 years now, so I feel I have a good understanding of what I'm doing and that I'm giving the proper info here lol.

acerlt 04-13-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawki (Post 111671)
EVeryone survived the vet visit. Callie Cried like she was on death's door while in the carrier on the way to the vets office. Slider whined a bit when he was olaced in it but calmly resigned himself to whatever and relaxed.
Both exams whent pretty well, neither enjoyed the 'rectal temperature probe'. Slider especially was not pleased with that tactic.
Callie is healthy and 9.5lbs.
Slider got a shot of antibiotics for his URI (not even a whimper) but is otherwise healthy and tipped the scales at 8.5lbs.
Callie recovered at home pretty quickly, Slider exited the carrier and ran to the kitchwn ceiling for an hour or so.:lol:
He seems fully recovered this morning.

Thanks for the update Butch, though you sure made us hunt to find it. Normally I wouldn't even read a thread about computer troubles not being in the least tech savvy, but so desperate for updates on Callie and Slider I decided to peek in, and I''m glad I did.

I recommend you put Slider on l-lysine for a while, it will help boost his immune system and if he has herpes, it will control the out breaks. URIs that don't go away with antibiotics, or keep coming back, are usually herpes.

Herpes isn't curable but is controllable with l-lysine. Tolly and Queen Eva take it.

Hawki 04-13-2011 03:27 PM

I now understand what I did wrong and I am certain that the powersupply did get fubared...it got very very hot. My buddy is like you he's been building them for years and did a stint teaching computer stuff at a local community college. He's probbaly taking no chances and upgrading the video card...we have a symbiotic friendship (since the 1st grade) I do wood working for him at cost or below (he's wlld challanged) and he does all my puter stuff since I never had the desire to learn all about computers....I was making a funny about the video card being confused.:)
He'll get my computer running flawlessly and probably upgraded a bit....hopefully soon.

Gail,
On the l-lysine, I'll pick some up...what strength? 500mg, 1000mg? can I mix it in their food? or do I have to dose them with the pill.
Slider has a return visit to the vet in 2 weeks....he wants to retest him for HIV and I guess check how his URI is doing.
The vet didn't put much faith in the shelter test...he said it is a saliva test that only shows positive if the cat is shedding the virus???
As much as I know Slider is eating and drinking although he is not real social yet with us..him and Callie still play the chase me I chase you game and he seems to be slowly getting closer to Rose, but I only see him in the morning and evening at wet food feeding time :( He sometimes pops around in the evening but usually goes back up stairs to his snuggle place. When you go to his place and pet/fuss over him he responds but he won't come down stairs and socialize. I am figuring that as he starts feeling better he'll get more active?

acerlt 04-13-2011 04:33 PM

Butch I use the pure powder, and put it right in their wet food. It has no taste except salty, and cats like salt. It can be added to kilbble too, just put a little water in the dish get the kibble wet and the l-lysine will stick to the kibble, and/or dissolve in the water.

I use this:

Amazon.com: Source Naturals L-Lysine Powder, 100g (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

500 mg a day is the therapeutic dose for cats. 1/4 teaspoon is 500 mg. You can give it once a day, or split it into two doses 1/8 tsp twice a day.

Retesting for FeLV/FIV (feline leukemia/feline aids) is a good idea if the shelter didn't do a blood test, if just for peace of mind. I'm not sure I would wait though, I'd have it done right now.

I've never heard of the saliva test, I'm a little confused. Does the saliva test test for both FeLV and FIV? Or did they do a blood test for FeLV and the saliva test for FIV? It makes no sense to me and boy that's kind of crummy, the shelter is taking a lot of risk doing that, if they didn't do a proper test for Feline Leukemia.

FIV is very difficult to spread between cats, but FeLV is spread by direct contact between cats.

Is Callie vaccinated against FeLV?

PS I meant to comment on the fact that I noticed you have left the ceiling available to Slider!

Hawki 04-13-2011 06:14 PM

The shelter gave us a folder listing the stuff they did to each cat... I know they got their rabies shots...they are due for another in a year. I am assuming that the vet would have recommended any specific shots he felt they needed that they didn't have.(I am assuming this) He has a copy of the records we got from the shelter.
As far as the testing for FeLV and FIV...I am again assuming they've been tested. The vet mentioned 'the saliva test' I do know that when they tested the cats at the shelter it was done before we took them home so I know it wasn't a blood draw test.
Slider didn't use the ceiling after that first time and I forgot about it...I'll be getting it this weekend.

I'll be getting the l-lysine...I'll look around here for it if I don't find it I'll get the stuff from Amazon I was looking at another carrier on there too. It looks like a picnic basket and got good reviews.

AK49BWL 04-14-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawki (Post 111685)
I now understand what I did wrong and I am certain that the powersupply did get fubared...it got very very hot. My buddy is like you he's been building them for years and did a stint teaching computer stuff at a local community college. He's probbaly taking no chances and upgrading the video card...we have a symbiotic friendship (since the 1st grade) I do wood working for him at cost or below (he's wlld challanged) and he does all my puter stuff since I never had the desire to learn all about computers....I was making a funny about the video card being confused.:)
He'll get my computer running flawlessly and probably upgraded a bit....hopefully soon.

Hehe, I kinda got carried away there :lol: me and my computer geekiness :D but yeah, I hope everything works out!