It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

sharkrfish is on a distinguished road
Default Very tough choice to make

Hello forum readers. I am in a situation that dictates I examine both reality and my dreams in order to make a decision that is logical. I need to decide between going to college for a degree in computer systems or veterinary technology. I am going for an online degree. Both are nationally accredited and the veterinary technology in particular is AVMA accredited. The vet tech program is 3-5 years long and the computer is 3-4 years long.

I am 21 and work at the humane society here. I work here seven days/week, 40 hour to 50 hour weeks. I love it. I work all holidays and I often walk 3 miles to and from the society on Saturdays and Sundays when busses don't run to fulfill my devotion to animals (I don't have a vehicle or a driver's license yet). I work mainly with the cats and I spent at least 100 hours writing and revising the protocols for cleaning cat cages to keep them as healthy as possible.

Along with that I am part of the cat writers association group. I write weekly articles for my website and for one veterinary publication. My love is in educating about common issues that surround shelter medicine and animal care in general. I also foster feral kittens and rehabilitate them so was thinking specializing in behavior.

The problem is I heard that vet techs don't make enough to live a happy life. I have three cats I have to support. The techs only make 20-30k in comparison to the 60-80k (sometimes more) that computers can make. I am good at computers and can type 140 wpm and fix almost any problem, also made a 105% in webpage design. It is something I have always been good at.

The problem is that feel I am pressured to go for the higher paying job so that I can be "successful" because I could start my own repair business, also. And I know my parents want me to be in good shape if I ever had to move out and get my own place. I know they are right, I have to make a good income to get some of the things I absolutely need such as a car. At the same time I know I would really miss working full time with animals, but is there a line to draw somewhere when a career that you absolutely would love to go into doesn't pay a livable wage?

What is your thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
behavior , business , care , cats , cleaning , computer , feral , foster , happy , healthy , hey , kittens , love , problem , shelter , thoughts , type , vehicle

Sponsored Cat Links