It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2006   #1 (permalink)
mcd

Default introducing new cats to household with existing 7 yr old female cat

We have a 7yr old female, declawed and neutered cat. We are trying to introduce 2, 3 months old stray kittens that we would like to keep. They are also females and my spinster won't hear of it. Any tips will be appreciated. thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-05-2006   #2 (permalink)
Becca

Try to make sure your old cat still feels loved and valued. Like take the time to have special quality time just with her to make sure she doesn't feel less important than the newcomers.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-05-2006   #3 (permalink)
fidokitty

Honestly keep them apart till the kittens are big enough to defend themselves. I had to do that. Then when they're about 2-4 months old i let them in with each other and let them have at each other. It's basically territorial. They have to know who's boss. So that'll take about a week and you may hear scuffels here and there. But it'll subside soon.

Unread 10-05-2006   #4 (permalink)
mcd

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidokitty View Post
Honestly keep them apart till the kittens are big enough to defend themselves. I had to do that. Then when they're about 2-4 months old i let them in with each other and let them have at each other. It's basically territorial. They have to know who's boss. So that'll take about a week and you may hear scuffels here and there. But it'll subside soon.
We thought of doing that but I was afraid one of them would get hurt. The big girl is declawed but has good teeth and the little ones have both their claws and their teeth. What do you think fidokitty. Thanks for your response.

Unread 10-05-2006   #5 (permalink)
mcd

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca View Post
Try to make sure your old cat still feels loved and valued. Like take the time to have special quality time just with her to make sure she doesn't feel less important than the newcomers.
Thank you for confirming that. We are doing that, if anything she gets more attention than usual but I can't get her to even look at the kittens.

Tags
cat , cats , claws , female , girl , hey , hurt , kittens , new cats , stray , territorial , tips

Sponsored Cat Links