It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
maizyjane

Default traveling across country with cats

My husband and I are planning a trip to Long Island New York from Texas in a small RV. We are thinking of taking our three house cats with us. My husband is not too hip on the idea as he thinks the cats will "never be the same". I want to do what's right by them. Anyone ever experienced a road trip with their cat?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-16-2007   #2 (permalink)
sherri

Thumbs up

hi, and welcome...yes have experienced this, 2 cats in a car from va to ny...also from va to fl...it would probably be better to take them with you, just keep a cat carrier handy...the only worry is them getting out at stops, and you don't want to loose a cat on the road..most of the time they handle it well...just use caution with them...don't open the door, or windows, make sure there isn't a space for them to get wedged into either...take their favorite toys, and or blankets, a small piece of home, to keep them comfortable...good luck, happy trip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maizyjane View Post
My husband and I are planning a trip to Long Island New York from Texas in a small RV. We are thinking of taking our three house cats with us. My husband is not too hip on the idea as he thinks the cats will "never be the same". I want to do what's right by them. Anyone ever experienced a road trip with their cat?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-16-2007   #3 (permalink)
marticat

Hello, I show my cats and travel by SUV all the time. To make the trip safe and worry free there are 2 things you can do. The cheapest route is to buy one of those cargo nets that prevents the cats from getting in the front of the vehicle and just put a couple of cat beds, litter box, toys, food and water in the back and you are set. I have my own show cage that is comfortable enough for 3 cats with 2 hammocks, a bed and litter box. They cant leave the cage but have plenty of room and can see out through the nylon netting in the front and sides.

Unread 05-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
Clover16

Hi and welcome. I think you'll find this a great forum. My 2 cats are 14 now & between the ages of 1 and 3 years they crossed the country (Cape Cod to San Diego) and back twice. Means they have about 12,000 miles on them We travelled in a Dodge 3/4 ton van, both of them shared 1 large carrier and we had a kitty litter right in the van. We would have slept in the van but there was no room. You should be fine in an RV. We stopped at least 3 times a day to let them out of the carrier and feed & water them a little and every evening stayed in a Motel 6 because they're all pretty much the same plus they all allow pets. This kind of structured the trip and gave it a familiar routine. Maybe it helped because although they don't like travelling, they did very well. And suffered no lasting trauma. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Tags
beds , box , car , cat , cats , color , food , free , great , happy , hey , home , house , joy , kitty , litter , litter box , new york , small , toys , travel , vehicle , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links