It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
missy1632

Default New here!!! Advice needed

Hi everyone!!!

This is not only my first time here... but my time posting on a forum!!!

I have a dilemma and i am hoping for some advice...

My cat, Smokey and I have just moved into a house with 3 other cats and a DOG!!!! Smokey has met and lived with the dog before... and really doesn't give a hoot about him... but the other cats are a different issue... it has only been about 3 weeks.. but the hissing and growling have not ceased one bit. I tried to keep him in my room, but really i need to get them to interact with eachother...

My questions are: Does anyone else's cat's hiss smell yuk??? Cos the rest of the house is getting pretty fed up with the constant hissing and the smell that follows... what is going on there?!

The cat's details are as follows:
Smokey- neutered boy, about 5
Paris- neutered female- 1.5years
Bender and Bindi- both neutered males, off-spring of Paris

It is a very pet-orientated house-hold... especially considering Paris doesn't get on with her own sons either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-09-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Hello & welcome to the forum!
Poor Smokey, his bad breath could be down to gum disease. Do his gums look red or inflamed around his teeth? A trip to the vet may be in order. Unfortunatly not many cats have fresh smelling breath lol.
As far as the hissing is concerned, only time can tell really. Are the cats lashing out at one another? If it is just hissing this will probably die down soon when all the cats have learned their place so to speak. Some cats will never get on but hopefully learn to tolerate one another.
I have six cats. They always hiss and spit when I have introduced a new cat but it settles given time. My cats can happily stand together when crying for their breakfast but can't eat together as I have a couple of greedy bullies lol. Angel & Kiki can lay together and Sophie & Lenor can lay together but they will not mix their little groups together without the odd hiss or grumble. The male cats can lay with any of the cats without a problem.
As with people you cannot make cats like one another, they too have different personalities. Sometimes some personalities will always clash. Sorry that is not much consolation to you.
You could try a Feliway diffuser it may help put all the cats at ease.
I hope all settles in your home as I know how stressfull it can feel.
All the best,
Angelkiss x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-09-2007   #3 (permalink)
missy1632

Hi Angel Kiss... Thanks for your reply.

I am actually not sure if it is Smokey's breath that smells... cos i've never noticed it before... and i cuddle him... a lot (hahah). I may not have worded my question very well.. what I meant was... do cat's let out a smell when they hiss? (as like another defensive thing?)

Cos after our cats have had a hiss-off... the room kinda smells... am i making any sense?!

I thought I had read somewhere that the spit that comes out is smelly to warn off threats... anyone else heard of that?

Unread 08-11-2007   #4 (permalink)
Claire Bear oO

My cats have lived together for a few years and still hiss at each other a lot. Their hisses never really smell though, but a lot of the time they do it outside and not up-close.

Tags
advice , boy , cat , cat's , cats , crying , defensive , dog , female , growling , hey , hiss , hissing , home , house , male , new cat , pet , problem , question , smell , vet

Sponsored Cat Links