It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-19-2008   #1 (permalink)
nocturnalkitty

Default hello! need help

hi...my name is christal. my cat is a little over 8 yrs old and his name is einstein. he is one of the sweetest, most well mannered cats i have ever seen and VERY smart (i have had a cat/cats almost all my life...nearly 29 yrs now). i have had him since he was 3 months (next month will make 8 yrs since i got him). i happen to come across him at a random trip to the humane society in the area i lived in at the time w/my best friend of about 13 yrs now. i wasn't suppose to have a cat (apartment complex had a no pets rule) but i just couldn't resist when i saw him so i put in the paperwork to adopt him and worked out the rest as it came. he seems to be a burmese...the darker colored fur breed. below is a picture of him when he was 6 yrs old.

i have a very cute picture of him from when he was 6 months chewing on a pumpkin stem on my bedside table which i will have to scan and post later. ironic considering he looks like a black cat if the light isn't all that bright. he was going through teething stage ...it just happen to be around halloween. lol

what got me looking for forums like this is he is sick right now. he injured his eye and we aren't sure how. its been an up and down battle. he just saw the vet yesterday and the vet says the blood vessels are coming in so he says he is healing (he's been seeing the vet about once a week for over a month), but my concern is the bump that was almost gone on his eye is back and it's bigger. also his eye has gotten more cloudy in the last maybe 3 days (it was cloudy at first, but had started to clear up). i spoke w/the vet about all that and we are keeping w/the medication. we figure he might have scratched at it or something recently when he was in another room where we couldn't see him at the time. the cone collar is back on him again to keep him from going after it since i saw him try to last night. he had it at first, but the vet said it was ok to take it off awhile ago unless he started showing signs of trying to go after the eye again.

for the most part i like the vet he has been seeing and einstein seems to like him too. the staff is nice and they all love him. the vet is retiring very soon as well which leaves me looking for another vet. we just moved from southern california to the north western tip of arizona (bullhead city area). i can't find anything about this vet on the internet as far as reviews, rating, etc. as much as i like this vet i can't help but wonder about the quality of care einstein is recieving. in southern california i never worried about it b/c the vet i always took him to i knew was ranked in the top 5 for all of california, as well i knew 2 people that worked there very well and saw the behind the scenes myself after hours.

my primary reason for posting is i am wondering if anyone might know how i would go about finding a good vet in my area. finding a 24 hr vet as close to home as possible? there are vets in the phonebook that list themselves as 24 hrs, but u call and get an answering machine. i want to know he is recieving quality care and i want to know where i can take him if something were to happen after hours (heaven forbid, but better to be safe than sorry). i have tried searching the internet, but it seems it is much harder to reseach a vet than a regular doctor for you or i.

thank you in advance for all your help.

Last edited by nocturnalkitty; 07-19-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-20-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

hello christal,i'm cheryl from south wales.mum of 6 fluffy kids.welcome to the forum.i'm sorry i can't give you any advice,but i'd just like to say that einstein is gorgeous,and i hope you find a reputable vet soon.good luck,bye,che.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-20-2008   #3 (permalink)
nocturnalkitty

thank you cheryl. he is the apple of my eye as they say...my little man. my father calls him his four legged furry grandson. lol my dad and he have a very special bond...my b/f and him as well. and of course he has his moments where no one will do but mommy. he makes it impossible for anyone who spends a little time w/him not to love him. one would think that as much as he gets spoiled that it would have spoiled him, but he listens better than most cats. he understands and listens so well it shocks people sometimes. he likes to play peek a boo, hide and go seek, fetch, etc. he goes out for walks on a leash. he teaches himself new tricks. he's great.

he's been the only cat all his life and he keeps himself well entertained though i do kinda wish i could get him a playmate (i hear if you are gonna do that you gotta do it early in their life though). he always had female cats coming around the old house. i call him the hugh hefner of kitties. he gets curious if it's a female cat, but anything else of any species (except humans) and he gets territorial. he has even scared off a full grown wild coyote.

Unread 07-21-2008   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

i've got an old very loving boy,his name is cat,he's 12.five years ago we lost his brother oasis,and another cat ziggy.cat was lonely for a while,moping about,didn't know what to do with himself.so i got him a little girl,(miss bobby marley).at first he was petrified of her,she was 7wks old and full of it.well after a week they just bonded.i've got others now,but none of them got that bond that cat and marley have,bye,xxxxx
Unread 07-21-2008   #5 (permalink)
buttercup

Hi Christal and what a handsome man you have. Love those teeth. I have a 14 yr old male Oscar and he's so sweet. We had his sister as well but she died about 3 years ago. We took in our son and his girlfriends kitten who was the runt of the litter and we ended up keeping her when our son moved out. I couldn't let her go as she stole my heart. She and Oscar adore each other and are never too far from each other. I think most cats get along but you need to be patient when introducing them. We had an older cat when we got Oscar and his sister Maddie and Jasmine wouldn't lower herself to tolerate the kittens. She even hated our collie Maggie and smacked her on the snout so hard Maggie was forever teriffied of her after that. The kittens would often snuggle into Maggies fur and she thought that they were going to do the same thing as Jasmine and smack her one so there she would lay with these kittens snuggled into her chest and her teeth would just chatter. It was funny but I felt bad. HEHE!

Last edited by buttercup; 07-21-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Tags
another cat , apartment , bat , black , black cat , boy , breed , burmese , california , care , cat , cats , chewing , collar , cute , eye , female , funny , fur , girl , great , hey , home , house , internet , kitten , kittens , kitties , lost , love , moments , nice , night , picture , play , runt , scared , sick , smart , territorial , tricks , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links