It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lagirl1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some advice .. worried about Boots

Hi Everyone,

I am really worried about boots. One of his eye's has been tearing really bad and this morning some gunk came out of it. Not much just a little. He has had this every since he was a kitten. He dosent seem to be in pain and he isn't digging at it or anything but he does squint at times. I can't afford to take him to the vet as I have not recieved any money all month I am hurting. Do you think this is serious or maybe his eye is just irritated? I hope he will be ok.

Trish

So pround to be owned by Boots ... and previously by Pepper 1986-2001 and stuffy 1987-2004 ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Boots may have just gotten a speck of dust in his eye, and irritated it. If this is the case, it should clear up in another day or two.

The thing is though, eye problems can be very serious. He may have the herpes virus in his eyes. Herpes is not curable, but is controllable with a supplement called l-lysine.

However herpes flare ups often go into secondary infection, and that requires antibiotics to treat and cure. Antibiotics mean a trip to the vet.

My advice is to keep an eye on Boot's eye and gently clean out any gunk that accumulates. Do this by using a bit of paper towel dampened with warm water. Not dripping and not hot, just skin temperature. place the towel over his eye and wipe firmly but not pressing hard) down and away from the eye.

Wash your hands both before and after.

In the mean time start thinking about a resource because if the eye hasn't improved in another day or two, Boots is going to need veterinary attention.

If the discharge turns green (infection) or pink (blood) get him to the vet immediately.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default PS, this has been ongoing?

I just reread your post.

If this has been a problem all his life he probably does have the herpes virus. it could also be a blocked tear duct, but either of these problems can escalate into secondary infection that requires antibiotics.

If the infection is left untreated too long he could lose his eye. I don't mean to scare you, but as I said, eye problems are not to be taken lightly, especially once you start seeing discharges.

L-lysine supplement is available without a prescription and will control the herpes virus, once infection is cleared up. But infection requires antibiotics.

please keep us updated on Boots.
Unread 02-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Acerlt,
Thanks for the advice. Boots has had this all his life but it dosent happen to often. I think it is tear duct problem is what the vet told me the last time he saw him. I found the eye medicine he gave me last time. It is called Terramycin. I put some in his eye already. I am so glad I still had some! It is an ointment. It worked last time his eye did this. Hopefully this medicine will work. Yes it did scare me. Lose his eye really? G** I don't want that to happen. Ive always taken such good care of my kitties! Its just that I am in financial turmoil right now. Thanks for your advice.

Trish
Unread 02-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Oh dear, don't think it is serious. My Pochee used to have this problem from time to time, all his life.

That is what I did with him: apply a cold tea bag on the affected eye(prepare the tea as if you would drink it & apply the bag when cold on his eye) Try to squeeze the bag gently & let some drops get into the eye also. This may help!
Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi Maya!

Thankyou dear! It really scared me this morning cause he was tearing up pretty bad. I found some medicine in the cupboard that the vet gave me last time for his eye. So I put some of the ointment on his eye and believe me, it was not easy to do!! He put up a fight! The medicine is called Terramycin. I think it must be an antibiotic. Maybe this will work huh? If it dosent I will definetly use your suggestion with the tea bag. I can't remember what the vet said it was, but I think he said it was something with his tear duct.

Thanks! Hope all the kits are fine!

Trish
Unread 02-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagirl1966 View Post
Acerlt,
Thanks for the advice. Boots has had this all his life but it dosent happen to often. I think it is tear duct problem is what the vet told me the last time he saw him. I found the eye medicine he gave me last time. It is called Terramycin. I put some in his eye already. I am so glad I still had some! It is an ointment. It worked last time his eye did this. Hopefully this medicine will work. Yes it did scare me. Lose his eye really? G** I don't want that to happen. Ive always taken such good care of my kitties! Its just that I am in financial turmoil right now. Thanks for your advice.

Trish
you're welcome. the terramycin is good. use it twice a day for 7 days. Don't put the tube into eye, which could cause contamination, put a little on your (washed) pinkie finger and swipe it into the eye that way.

Might be a good idea to call and let the vet know there's been a flare up and you are using the meds again, so it is on Boots's record.

Eye problems can be very serious. Since boots has been treated for this before, probably not this problem.

My 18 yo kitty had a blocked tear duct that would flare up into infection now and then, too. It went away when she was about 12.

please read this first
Unread 02-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagirl1966 View Post
Hi Maya!

Thankyou dear! It really scared me this morning cause he was tearing up pretty bad. I found some medicine in the cupboard that the vet gave me last time for his eye. So I put some of the ointment on his eye and believe me, it was not easy to do!! He put up a fight! The medicine is called Terramycin. I think it must be an antibiotic. Maybe this will work huh? If it dosent I will definetly use your suggestion with the tea bag. I can't remember what the vet said it was, but I think he said it was something with his tear duct.

Thanks! Hope all the kits are fine!

Trish
Yes love, Terramycin is an antibiotic & not always needs to be used.
Try with the tea if continues; it's natural & won't harm Boots' eye for sure.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Acerlt,

I just called the vet, and of course they said he should be seen since its been a while, and I would if I had the money. I told them about the medicine they said to try and see if it still works. I just looked at his eye and its not tearing anymore. So hopefully it still works. Thanks for the suggestion of using my finger cause I didn't know. I used the tube. I will use my finger the next time. Hopefully my finances will improve and i can get him in.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that your kitty had it to. Hopefully he will grow out of this. He is only 4.

Trish
Unread 02-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi Trish,how is Boots' eye dear?xxxxx

Tags
advice , amazing , antibiotic , antibiotics , art , babies , calm , care , cat , cats , clean , cold , color , cool , crazy , eye , eyes , fight , found , fur , happy , hey , infection , kitten , kitties , kitty , love , money , morning , natural , problem , problems , scared , sex , smell , stress , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links